Hi, welcome to Echo Bazaar Wiki! Thanks for your edit to the A serious offer 2 page.
Your contributions are most appreciated!
You might want to check out Editing Guidelines to help you out with editing. :)
Neonix 01:23, January 2, 2011 (UTC)
Hi. That's an easy one. :) Just go to Source, and place the image code before the template code. I fixed An_assignment_from_the_Cheesemonger up for you. ^__^
A way to prevent this is to either add the image first, or press the left button a few times to point the cursor at the top.
Neonix 19:32, January 2, 2011 (UTC)
Seems like a wiki bug. >__> I'll try to find a way to fix it. In the meantime we'll have to make do with the angelsmall image.
On an unrelated note! You've uploaded quite a bit over these past few days! A splendid job! :D
I noticed that you created a few new story pages as... content pages. Stories should be Category pages, that way we can file content pages under them. (Category pages are created by putting "Category:Page name" on the page title.
EDIT: It seems that you noticed it too. :)) No worries! Those pages are now deleted. Neonix 21:37, January 3, 2011 (UTC)
Hi again. I've been meaning to ask you; how did you find this site? I've been trying to put it up on Google but no luck there. :( Neonix 08:32, January 6, 2011 (UTC)
- I see. The reason I asked is I want other people to use this wiki as well. :) It's a shame having all this information with very few people to share it with XD
- Actually that template wasn't finalized yet. ^__^;; That would be my bad, sorry. For now, just keep using the template, and I'll fix the ugly brackets.
Checking for items needed:
- I have no clear way to address this. The best we can do is link every mention of the item back to its page (you can do this by enclosing it in double brackets [] in Source Mode, or by just linking it (CTRL + L) ). That way, you can use the special page 'What Links Here' later on.
- Otherwise if you (or anyone, really) feels that mentioning the item is important, just go ahead and post a comment on the quest page, or item page. (especially the ones which require 1000+ Jade or whatever :D)
- There is a section in Editing Guidelines about which categories to assign, when to assign them, etc. etc. I would've included them into the templates, but given the wide variety of possible categories there are, it was just impractical at the time. :( I did auto-categorize Storylets though; as long as you indicate where you saw them, it will show up at the Category it's supposed to go.
- ..if you meant Creating Categories, just bear in mind that Connections, Stories, Menaces and Menace Cures, Item Types and Places (and in the future, Ambitions) must be Categories. Should you make a mistake and end up creating a content page instead, that can easily be fixed with a redirect to the proper page, or by asking me to delete it.
- Please, do not hesitate to ask me questions, or just giving me general feedback! :) It helps to hear from contributors, and it helps me to improve the site. It's my goal to make an Echo Bazaar wiki that's easy to navigate and edit, so ask away!
Neonix 20:26, January 6, 2011 (UTC)
PS. Your English is fine. :)
Nice to see another face around here. I'm Drox, one of Neonix's friends and one of the (so-called) admins. As you can see, this is a very young wiki, and many of the ideal features haven't been implemented yet. I would like to thank you for all of the contributions you've given to the wiki, and welcome you to our small team.
Droxlean 03:58, January 7, 2011 (UTC)
Hey there, I'd just like to point you to the talk page/comments on Editing Guidelines about identical page names? I'd really like to hear your opinion on the matter. Neonix 05:54, January 12, 2011 (UTC)
..nope, you're not the only one; it's really slow for me today too. >__> Just give it a few hours to recover, I suppose. I bet wikia's under maintenance of something. :(
I am so sorry for the late reply! I was out the whole week; I only got a chance to get back now. :(
I think it's okay to have Accomplishment categories; the only reason they're initially content pages was because I did not expect cards or storylets to link back the the accomplishment. :) You can simply put in a redirect like this: #REDIRECT [[Pagename]] in the content page should the need arise.
The other wiki
Actually, I left them a message ages (2 months) ago on their main page to see if they were still active. I have received zero replies since. :| But good idea; I'll see about contacting their admin. :)
Was it you who started adding them? (if it is, good job! I was meaning to, but I kept on forgetting. XD)
Neonix 00:55, March 21, 2011 (UTC)
- Btw, is there a way to have a pet page list more than 4 different bonuses? Bifurcated Owl has 6.
Edit: Ah, cheers =)
Aximillio (talk) 18:08, February 24, 2013 (UTC)
Yay, you fixed my butterfaced page!
- I always add rewards and icons in Source mode, plain text It's just more clear form me. I don't know how others used to deal with it. I'm not sure if I can nicely explain how because of my poor, poor english but Jeman will soon help for sure :)
Varissaelle (talk) 11:54, March 4, 2013 (UTC)
- Ohhh, I see. I try to edit photos and text in Visual mode. I rarely use Source mode, and even when I do, it's usually just to edit text; maybe that's my problem. I'll wait to see what Jemann has to say. Thanks again, Varissaelle!
ZDee (talk) 12:03, March 4, 2013 (UTC)
It used to be simple, but some doofus at Wikia recently changed it so you have to select left or right alignment when an image gets added. In this case you don't really want to specify either.
To make it work right you'll have to edit the page source (by clicking the 'Source' tab, next to 'Visual'). A nicely formatted result line will look like this:
*[[file:imagefile.png]] Some description here
When the image is aligned to left or right, it will include a |left or |right in the [[file:]] link. e.g. [[file:imagefile.png|left]]. Just take that bit out and it'll behave like you want.
Like Varissaelle, I mostly work in Source mode after adding templates in Visual mode. It's actually easier when you get used to it...
Jemann (talk) 12:04, March 4, 2013 (UTC)
- Ah, it's so simple now that I've read your explanation!
I'll never get back the hours I lost while futilely flinging photos left, right, up, down and diagonally in Visual mode, but at least I won't lose any future hours to it. I also think mandatory left/right photo alignment as a wikia mechanism is worse than useless. I was really put off by it when I began editing. If we could somehow disable it, that would be great.
A hundred thanks, guys! I think I've learned the important basics now. :D
ZDee (talk) 12:17, March 4, 2013 (UTC)
Cells up in Lodgings
Thanks for the revamped Lodgings page! It's vastly improved; at a glance, a player will know the hold card advantages. I checked Items' page history and noticed you're also the one who placed the cells there. Wow, great job. :) Maybe it sounds like I'm kissing your ass, but I really do appreciate your elegant pages.
By the way, am I the only one who thinks the Brass Embassy lodgings photo resembles a giant robot? Surely not...
ZDee (talk) 23:23, March 6, 2013 (UTC)
- * blush* Thank you, I'm glad that you like it. ^_^
I was thinking about this Lodgings page two years ago - I work so fast!
I'm not sure about that Brass Embassy but Townhouse seems really unhappy. All those houses are so pretty.. I wish I could see them more often - as cards.
Varissaelle (talk) 23:52, March 6, 2013 (UTC)
- Haha, that explains why the Items history notes that the cells were put up in 2011! XD
* chortle* I also believe the Townhouse, while handsome, is a sad little chap. The lodgings photos are some of my favorite FL art pieces. I also like the new items and people pics that have been released during the past few months; I think they have an interesting tone of quirky realism.
Oh, I didn't notice till now that you placed the cells into the Lodging Locations page and not the Lodgings category page. I think you should merge http://fallenlondon.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Lodging_Locations with http://fallenlondon.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Lodgings so everyone can see the helpful cell charts when they visit Lodgings. The Lodging Locations category page seems redundant, anyway.
If you put your cells into Lodgings (preferably at the top), you should get rid of the "buy a key for blah blah" links; your cells flow far better as visual information for the eyes than the "buy this and this" links list. Readers can easily learn how to purchase certain homes by clicking on the links in your cells.
I also just noticed that the individual home pages ("Handsome Townhouse", "Decommissioned Steamer", etc.) do not have reference links for their individual unlock cards ("The Lofty Tower", "The Tower of Knives", etc.)! Okay, I'll do that...right now.
ZDee (talk) 00:31, March 7, 2013 (UTC)
- I don't like that "buy a key" links too but It was just temporary page. I was going to fix it, really! I just forgot about it because I don't need to look at this page anymore, I'm a rich lady and I already own all those mad robots.. I mean houses.
But I will do it, this year! I will not dissapoint this cheerful Family Crypt!
Varissaelle (talk) 17:41, March 7, 2013 (UTC)
- Well, there are only 9 months left in the year. Better hop to it! :P
Hmm...those houses really do look like creatures...the more I look at them!
Despite the stench and hovering corpse flies, the Family Crypt does look cheerful. ^-^ The Lair in the Marshes has a bird perched on one shoulder while it holds up a gun with the other arm! The Rooftop Shack is a giant bust (side view of the head to mid-torso). In this case, the right window serves as an ear. It looks like a "he" with a nose and mustache (left side). Rooms Above a Bookshop is sleeping with its mouth open! The Rooms Above a Gambling Den looks drowsy, heheh.
Fellow Editors: We are discussing VERRRY important articles of merit. ...Definitely not messing around!!
ZDee (talk) 18:07, March 7, 2013 (UTC)
Look, it's puckering its lips for a kiss! ;)
ZDee (talk) 10:53, April 5, 2013 (UTC)