Item Grinding (Guide)
|This guide is incomplete. You can help by expanding it.
For the old version of this guide, click here.
Grinds vs. carousels vs. conversions
For the purposes of this guide, a grind is a single repeatable action that reliably gives decent quantities of the expected item at little or no cost (besides actions). Grinds tend to generate lower-tier items, like Shards of Glim and Primordial Shrieks. For higher-tier items, you'll likely need to convert or do a carousel.
A carousel is a repeatable multi-action process. This guide includes some carousels, as these can also be considered a type of grind. Carousels involve going through a set series of actions, sometimes more than once, and often require raising a quality to a certain level and then cashing it out. Examples include the Boxful of Intrigue carousel (often used to obtain Mourning Candles), Dramatic Tension carousels War of Assassins and Wilmot's End (for Collections of Curiosities), and the various Arbor grinds. Another type of carousel involves a series of item conversions—notably the Cross conversion carousel for 50p items, which converts 50 of each item to 51 of the next and also raises Making Waves at certain points.
The third major way to obtain significant quantities of an item in Fallen London is to convert other items. This includes up-conversions (e.g., 50 x Drops of Prisoner's Honey to 10 x Romantic Notions) and side-conversions (e.g., 50 x Compromising Documents to 51 x Memories of Light). Since conversions are fairly straightforward and covered elsewhere, this guide does not attempt to list them all. For more information, refer to Items (Guide).
The next sections list some of the most accessible and efficient grinds/carousels, and their requirements, for easy reference. Actions that are non-repeatable, or not easily repeatable (e.g., opportunity cards), are not included.
Academic items include: Foxfire Candle Stub, Flask of Abominable Salts, Memory of Distant Shores, Unprovenanced Artefact, and Volume of Collated Research.
- 5 + Approximate Value of Your Skeleton in Pennies/50 x Memory of Distant Shores for selling to the Tentacled Entrepreneur
- Sideconvert from Scrap of Incendiary Gossip acquired from publishing seditious newspapers.
- x 5 by Climb the dome itself in Parabola with a Glasswork 8 challenge
- x 4/5 by Offer the Storm-bird to Fingerkings in Parabola with a Storm-bird and the Dome of Scales occupied by the Fingerkings
Book items include: Revisionist Historical Narrative, Corrective Historical Narrative, Slim Volume of Bazaarine Poetry, Page of Cryptopalaeontological Notes, Page of Prelapsarian Archaeological Notes, and Page of Theosophistical Notes.
Examples of where they can be acquired from:
- Historical narratives can be created at Stay a little while in The Waswood (gives also +1 CP Mithridacy):
- Graduate the Gifted Student gives 1 x Slim Volume of Bazaarine Poetry.
- Notes can be acquired from scientific voyages. See Embarking on a Voyage of Scientific Discovery (Guide).
Cartography items include: Shard of Glim, Map Scrap, Zee-Ztory, Partial Map, Puzzling Map, Cartographer's Hoard, and Collection of Curiosities.
- A Thunderstorm of Morality or An Innocent Fictional Scene provides x 6000 at up to 150 glim/action depending on method.
- x 1872 for Rob the Glim Shipment: Wait until it docks and rob the warehouse
- x 1296 for Rob the Glim Shipment: Rob the glim ship
Contraband items include: Flawed Diamond, Ostentatious Diamond, London Street Sign, Use of Villains, Comprehensive Bribe, Magnificent Diamond, Rookery Password, and Fabulous Diamond.
- x 1 for Inspire her to imagine His Amused Lordship as a historical figure. Requires a high persuasive check or items to trade with a glasswork check, however, while pursuing the Bribe, you obtain some items that you can trade with a glasswork check: Sighting of a Parabolan Landmark.
- x 5 for Exchange a considerable quantity of Connections for London Street Signs; costs 3 x Favours: Society
The Henchman and the Accomplice opportunity card
- x 7 from Make use of this new development; requires Ostentatious Diamond x 2 (unlock only, not lost) and costs 1 x Favours: Criminals
An Implausible Penance opportunity card
Going gentle opportunity card
- x 2 , x 20 , and x 250 from Discreetly inform the family about the baronet's communication; costs 2 x Favours: Tomb-Colonies
- x 48 from Sell to the Enterprising Boot Salesman when using the Leg Horse recipe. The Enterprising Boot Salesman is not always available. Currently disabled pending Bone Market rework and subject to change.
Currency items include: Fistful of Surface Currency and Justificande Coin.
- x 1 for Accept a share of the coffer of Admiralty coinage
- x 2 for Claim the coffer of Admiralty coinage
- x 25 from Grab what else you can on the way out each time you rob Station VIII.
- x 2 from Take charge of the front of house at the cost of -10 CP Tales of Mahogany Hall and +1 CP Plagued by a Popular Song
- Or just exchanging them: x 1 for 75 x Cryptic Clue from Pick out a venom-ruby
- Might be efficient to just exchange x 1 for 3.5 Echoes from Hire Strong-backed Labour
- Can also be acquired x 4 (+ 1 x Use of Villains) from SoaMW, but it's rather cumbersome.
- For larger quantities, Recruit Clay Man labour provides x 2 for x 50 x 50 x 4 x 1 . There's an additional entrance fee which varies by your progress, but is most commonly x 2 . Requires A Finder of Heiresses 1 and A Visitor to the Clay Quarters
Elder items include: Jade Fragment, Relic of the Third City, Mystery of the Elder Continent, Presbyterate Passphrase, Antique Mystery, Primaeval Hint, and Elemental Secret.
- x 81 for Offer cures for coughs and colds at Persuasive 71
- x 124 for Offer cures for gout, dropsy and scrofula at Persuasive 74; requires x2
- x 300 for Search the lowest Floors at Watchful 220 while Diving in the Magistracy at Diving Depth 6; also gives you x 4 First City Coin
- Heist: Trade your documents with London's Ambassador 4
- Thefts of particular character: Steal an Antique Mystery from Feducci
- Side-convert Journal of Infamy from publishing newspapers and upconvert
- Use 10 actions and a Trade Secret for ...something else to get 5 Antique Mysteries and 1 Searing Enigma.
- Grind Striped Delights at Port Carnelian
Goods items include: Certifiable Scrap, Nevercold Brass Sliver, Relic of the Fourth City, Relic of the Second City, Piece of Rostygold, and Knob of Scintillack.
- x 97–111 for Instructing a Louche Devil at Persuasive 97–111 correspondingly ( Pygmalion)
- bonus x 1000 for Concentrate on conversation at the resolution of the carousel
- x 102 for Steal props and goods from other theatres at Shadowy 102
- up to 150 per action for A Drinking Song! when reinstated to court.
- up to 300 per action for Claim the crates cleared out of Saint Cyriac's Illuminated College with setup for Intervening in a Dockers' Brawl.
Great Game items include: Well-Placed Pawn, Final Breath, Moves in the Great Game, Vienna Opening, and Vital Intelligence.
- x 10 for Sell Him Surveys of the Neath's Bones in exchange for x 5
Historical items include Trace of the First City, Relic of the Second City, Relic of the Fourth City, Rusted Stirrup, and Silver Cat's Claw.
Infernal items include: Soul, Amanita Sherry, Brilliant Soul, Muscaria Brandy, Brass Ring, Devilbone Die, Queer Soul, Silent Soul, Portfolio of Souls, Bright Brass Skull, and Coruscating Soul.
- x 10.5 per action from Rob the Brass Embassy ( x 500 per theft; IPA calculated assuming grinding casing with the Gang of Hoodlums; requires 171 cp of Casing... to 100% the challenge - if you fail, you go to jail, albeit without increasing A Criminal Record)
- x 60.5 per action on average from The prince of... ( x 1–120 , Shadowy 100 challenge, requires PoSI and Renown: Hell 10
- x 100 per action on average from Attend for a treatment (no challenge; requires Railway and Victoria's Spa at Ealing Gardens; additionally gives 1-2 x Brilliant Soul) or 5-7 x Compromising Document on alternative success.
- x 25 from the Steal Brilliant Souls en route to Hookman House option from Thefts of Particular Character; see the Casing Guide for more info.
Influence items include: Stolen Correspondence, Intriguing Snippet, Compromising Document, Secluded Address, Stolen Kiss, Favour in High Places, and Personal Recommendation.
- x 300 for Rob the Chambers of the Duchess: Rob the study; requires Route: The Shuttered Palace
- x 80 for Rob the main archive at the Ministry of Public Decency
- x 40 (alternate: 11–30) for Ambush a few couriers for old times' sake (2 actions) at Shadowy 100; requires PoSI; has a 40% alternative success chance of x 1
- x 300 when you Share what you've learned with a Second-Storey Man at the end of A Boxful of Intrigue carousel (which requires A Survivor of the Affair of the Box 12). Also grants 1 x Favours: Criminals.
- An alternative to buying these at the Bazaar when drawing cards at Wolfstack Docks is to buy Stained Red Velvet Gown and trade these with the Ragsman's Barge for x 300
- x 35 when you Write it all down at the end of A Boxful of Intrigue carousel (which requires A Survivor of the Affair of the Box 12).
- x 7 when you Speak of your work in intimate company at the end of A Boxful of Intrigue carousel (which requires A Survivor of the Affair of the Box 12).
- x 1 per 3 Attar for Gift your Attar in tribute to the Roseate Queen
Legal items include: Infernal Contract, Dubious Testimony, Sworn Statement, and Legal Document.
- x 1 per for Barter your Attar
- x 1 per Permission to Linger for failing at Labour in the temple at Dangerous 75
- x 3 in exchange for 3 for Witness a trial at Watchful 115; requires x 1 which is lost if you fail
Luminosity items include: Lump of Lamplighter Beeswax, Phosphorescent Scarab, Memory of Light, Mourning Candle, Patent Scrutinizer, Eyeless Skull, Bejewelled Lens, and Ray-Drenched Cinder.
NB! Buying Lump of Lamplighter Beeswax and upconverting it is a good way of obtaining Luminosity items, however it increases Advancing the Liberation of Night with every conversion. Currently TLoN doesn't have any averse gameplay impact, but this might change in future.
NB! If you have even a half-decent money grind, buying beeswax will beat all grinding methods listed below.
NB! Best method to get scarabs is to buy Lump of Lamplighter Beeswax and upconvert.
- x 500 (failure: 300) for Breed the Plated Seal via Toadstools and a Stick at Luck 70%
- x 300 (failure: 200) for Breed the Tomb-Lion via A Firm Hand at Luck 70%
- Side convert Compromising documents
Buying x 500 Lump of Lamplighter Beeswax and upconverting:
- x 21 per 10 spent on x 500 . Action cost will be 10 / <your EPA> + 3. For example, with EPA of 2.5 this grind will net you x 3 Memory of Light per action.
- x 8 when you Send your report to certain bandaged gentlemen at the end of A Boxful of Intrigue carousel (which requires A Survivor of the Affair of the Box 12).
Mysteries items include: Whispered Hint, Cryptic Clue, Appalling Secret, Tale of Terror!!, Journal of Infamy, Extraordinary Implication, Uncanny Incunabulum, Direful Reflection, Searing Enigma, Dreadful Surmise, and Impossible Theorem.
- x 1100 in exchange for 1000 , , or via Bartering with the Tiger Keeper
- x 100 for The Thing in the Mirror at Dangerous 100; increases Nightmares and Wounds; can be repeated a maximum of 8 times per carousel
Mutton Island at 7–8
- x 145 for A night for... what exactly? at Shadowy 115; rare chance of x 5 and x 1 instead
- x 145 for Well Watching at Persuasive 115; alternative success x 3
- x 145 for Inside the Cock and Magpie at Watchful 115; rare chance of x 2 and x 2
- x 100 for The Eyes of Children; increases Nightmares
- x 100 for Dinner in the Fallen Columns at Persuasive 115; lowers Wounds and increases Nightmares
- x 66 for Try to understand what he's saying at Watchful 66; good for pre-POSI grinding if Attend courtly functions is not feasible.
- If one has NOT completed the murder investigation at The University, then there is a grind that combines Investigating... and Making Use of Cats to give a maximum of x 954 in 10 actions at Watchful 177 and Shadowy 167. Lower attributes will mean either occasional failed challenges and/or using less profitable steps.
- Advance Featuring in the Tales of the University to 9.
- Advance Embroiled in the Wars of Illusion to 10.
- Under Investigations in the university, interview the department staff three times and conduct forensic analysis once. This should raise Investigating... to 5 and produce 214 Cryptic Clues.
- Under Bats and Cats, choose Cats..., and then Try to find out about their allegiances once. This should raise Making Use of Cats to 2.
- This will cause the storylet Working with the Cats to re-appear at the top level of the Flit. Under that, assist a fortune teller four times. This should raise Making Use of Cats from 2 to 5 and produce 200 Cryptic Clues.
- Back under Bats and Cats, choose Spending Making Use of Cats and then Follow up a tip-off. This will reset Investigating... and Making Use of Cats and produce 540 Cryptic Clues.
- x 210 for Call in favours in the Wolfstack Docks, requires x 1
- x 50 when you Steal ideas from other theatres in Variety is the spice of life!. Also gives +2CP Tales of Mahogany Hall
- x 5 for Have your soul examined at The Museum of Souls; locked with Your very own Infernal Contract or a Stain on Your Soul
- x 5 when you Examine the Galleries at The Museum of Souls, on a Watchful 220 success
- x 15 when you Listen to the Waters.
- x 4 for The finest kind of madness when publishing a newspaper, requires x 104
- x 1 for Request Another Demonstration (must first raise Ravages of Parabolan Warfare to 3 with Request A Demonstration, which will exchange one Forty-Nine-Voiced Warbler for a Seven-Throated Warbler).
Nostalgia items include: Drop of Prisoner's Honey, Romantic Notion, Vision of the Surface, Touching Love Story, Bazaar Permit, and Soothe & Cooper Long-Box.
- x 8 from ...a Sealed Archive when robbing Baseborn & Fowlingpiece; has a rare chance (~18.24%) of x 1 instead
- x 1 on an alternative success (40%) for Ambush a few couriers for old times' sake (2 actions) at Shadowy 100; requires PoSI
- x 1 from the Steal a Bazaar Permit from the offices of Baseborn & Fowlingpiece option from Thefts of Particular Character; see the Casing Guide for more info.
- x 1 when you Perform Outreach for the Church; A Church in the Wild has to be a Diocesan Church of Hell.
- x 3 in exchange for 5 Favours: Criminals
- x 3 in exchange for 2000 Jade Fragment
- x1 in exchange for 5 Favours: Constables
- x1 plus Bone Fragments
Rag Trade items include: Silk Scrap, Surface-Silk Scrap, Whisper-Satin Scrap, Thirsty Bombazine Scrap, Puzzle-Damask Scrap, Parabola-Linen Scrap, Scrap of Ivory Organza, and Veils-Velvet Scrap.
- x 6000 Performing A Documentary when reinstated to Court provides up to 150 per action.
- x 101–400 for Encourage the honest folk of Spite to give you 'gifts' (5 actions); requires PoSI and Ruthless 4
- x 16–55 (failure: 6–45) for Encourage the honest folk of Spite to give you 'gifts' (5 actions); requires PoSI and Ruthless 4
Ratness items include: Rat on a String, Baptised Rattus Faber Corpse, Rat of Glory, and Venge-Rat Corpse.
Rubbery items include: Nodule of Deep Amber, Unearthly Fossil, Nodule of Trembling Amber, Nodule of Warm Amber, Nodule of Pulsating Amber, Nodule of Fecund Amber, and Fluke-Core.
- x (400 * Favours) + 100 , up to x 2900 from Accept a damp gift (362.5 per action).
- x 100 for Get in on a card game at Persuasive 100; requires x 25 and PoSI. Has a rare chance of x 1 Aeolian Scream.
- x 420 for 1 x Favours: Rubbery Men (210 per action).
- x 100 for 1 x Forty-Nine-Voiced Warbler (Sell him a Forty-Nine-Voiced Warbler).
- x 25 + ( Approximate Value of Your Skeleton in Pennies/10) (Sell your skeleton to a Zailor).
Rumour items include: Proscribed Material, Inkling of Identity, Scrap of Incendiary Gossip, An Identity Uncovered!, Night on the Town, Blackmail Material, Diary of the Dead, Intriguer's Compendium, and Rumourmonger's Network.
- x 100 for Rob the main archive at the Ministry of Public Decency
- x 315 Proscribed Material for Trade favours with revolutionaries
- x 450 for Escort duty, on success
- x 4 for An edition brimming with truth and wisdom when publishing a newspaper, requires x 104
- x 1 for Ask where Furnace got her name ( Persuasive 200, increased by Tracklayers' Displeasure), on success
- x 1 for Try to join with the game of cards again in the Constabulary. Requires no stat checks, and gains no menace.
Sustenance items include Parabolan Orange-Apple, Jasmine Leaves, Basket of Rubbery Pies, Crate of Incorruptible Biscuits, Tin of Zzoup, Hand-Picked Peppercaps, and Sausage About Which No One Complains.
Theological items include Verse of Counter-Creed, Palimpsest Scrap, Apostate's Psalm, and False Hagiotoponym.
Wild Words items include: Primordial Shriek, Maniac's Prayer, Correspondence Plaque, Aeolian Scream, Storm-Threnody, Night-Whisper, Starstone Demark, and Breath of the Void.
- x 1050 (failure: 700) for Breed the Somnolent Hyaena via Discipline at Luck 70%. Assuming high stats and using the Lab to generate the required Honey, this averages to 945 Shrieks every 13.8 actions, which is 68.48 Shrieks ( 1.37) per action.
- x 50 for Debate the nature of Primordial Shrieks at Watchful 100; requires PoSI. Has a rare chance of 1 x Aeolian Scream.
- x 310 (failure: 210) Breed the Somnolent Hyaena via Fungus and Pious Wrath at Luck 70%. Assuming high stats and using the Lab to generate the required Honey, this averages to 280 Prayers every 20.8 actions, which is 13.46 Prayers ( 1.35) per action.
- x 6 when you Share what you've learned with a Cross at the end of A Boxful of Intrigue carousel (which requires A Survivor of the Affair of the Box 12). Also grants 1 x Favours: Urchins.
Wines items include: Bottle of Greyfields 1879, Bottle of Greyfields 1882, Bottle of Greyfields 1868 First Sporing, Bottle of Morelways 1872, Bottle of Strangling Willow Absinthe, Bottle of Broken Giant 1844, Cellar of Wine, Bottle of Fourth City Airag: Year of the Tortoise, Vial of Tears of the Bazaar, and Vial of Masters' Blood.
- x 50 for A tradition developed after the Fall at Watchful 100; requires PoSI and renown: The Great Game 10. Has a rare chance of x 1 Aeolian Scream.
- x 37 for Offer the fellow a partnership at Persuasive 75.
- x 35 when you Accept a gift for your efforts at the end of A Boxful of Intrigue carousel (which requires A Survivor of the Affair of the Box 12).
- x 4 for The tawdry secrets of the famous laid bare! when publishing a newspaper, requires x 104
Zee Treasures items include: Moon-Pearl, Deep-zee Catch, Royal-Blue Feather, Ambiguous Eolith, Carved Ball of Stygian Ivory, and Live Specimen.
- 3000 or 6000 with several works in The Empress' Court