Player guides for one and all!
This pages lists the various guides in the wiki. Feel free to explore!
Do not be shy about writing your own guides! If you're not familiar with wiki editing, other editors can assist you; just contact an admin or any other active editor on their talk page.
Game Mechanics Guides
Guides that explain how the game works
Attributes and Leveling
Guides which focus on main attributes, menaces and advanced stats
- Menaces (Guide)
- Bizarre, Dreaded, Respectable (Guide)
- Advanced Skills (Guide) (aka, MAGCATS, esoteric arts. Only unlocked very late in the game)
- Raising Attribute Caps (Guide) (only relevant once you have reached a base level of 200 in a stat)
Guides related to factions
- Factions (Guide)
- Raising Connections
- Renown Items (Guide)
Guides related to storylines
- The Protégé of a Mysterious Benefactor (Guide)
- Making Your Name (Guide)
- A Scholar of the Correspondence (Guide)
- Featuring in the Tales of the University (Guide)
These storylines are roughly mid-game.
- A Boxful of Intrigue (Guide) — including A Survivor of the Affair of the Box. This requires access to Mahogany Hall.
- Cave of the Nadir (Guide)
- Embroiled in the Wars of Illusion
- Railway Beginning (Guide)
- Seeking Mr Eaten's Name (Guide)
- Ambitions (Guide) - Note that with the exception of Light Fingers, your ambition choice is permanent and costs real money to change! They are the longest stories in the game and will continue along as you progress to the very end of the game. This is a spoiler-free overview of the four storylines.
A Person of Some Importance
Guides relevant once you become a Person of Some Importance
- A Person of Some Importance (Guide)
- Making Waves (Guide) - This quality is essentially only used to raise Notability as a Person of Some Importance, a quality which unlocks various new things.
- Bizarre, Dreaded, Respectable (Guide) - These stats are mainly used in end-game areas and to raise Notability.
- Paramount Presence (Guide) - This is a very difficult end-game upgrade to your Person of Some Importance status.
- PoSI Item Crafting (mobile-friendly version)
Guides which focus on progress qualities
- Casing (Guide)
- Dramatic Tension (Guide)
- Fascinating (Guide)
- The Hunt is On! (Guide)
- Inspired (Guide)
- Investigating (Guide)
- Running Battle (Guide)
- Seeking (Guide)
- Someone is Coming (Guide)
- Term Passing... (Guide)
Guides for repeatable activities
- A Boxful of Intrigue (Guide)
- Attending a Party (Guide)
- Brawling with Dockers (Guide)
- Breeding Monsters (Guide)
- Bundle of Oddities (Guide)
- Cat and Mouse (Guide)
- The Chessboard (Guide)
- The Crowds of Spite (Guide)
- Doing Business in Wilmot's End (Guide)
- Fidgeting Writer
- Fighting a War of Assassins (Guide)
- Flash Lays (A Guide)
- A Kitchen for Artists (Guide)
- Short Stories (Guide)
- On a Heist (Guide)
- Publishing a Newspaper (Guide)
- Riding the Savage Cobbles (Guide)
- Searching out a Missing Woman (Guide)
- Carving out a Reputation at Court (Guide)
- Spending Secrets and Counting the Days (Guide)
- University Laboratory (Guide)
- Zailing (Guide)
Location Specific Guides
Guides relevant to a specific area
- Arbor (Guide)
- A Church in the Wild (Guide) ( Burrow-Infra-Mump)
- Canal Cruising in Jericho Locks (Guide) ( Jericho Locks)
- Discordant Studies - Costs and Rewards (Guide) ( The Hurlers)
- Flute Street (Guide)
- Forgotten Quarter Expeditions
- Iron Republic Street Map
- Parabola (Guide)
- Parabolan Hunting (Guide)
- Polythreme (Guide)
- Port Carnelian (Guide)
Item acquisition and handling
Guides primarily focused on acquiring and converting items
- Assembling a Skeleton (Guide)
- Calling in Favours (Guide)
- Item Grinding (Guide)
- Item sort by Stat, EPA etc. (Spreadsheet)
- Items (Guide)
- Lodgings Cards (Guide)
- Max Equipment Bonuses
- Hinterland Scrip-Making for the endgame location where Echoes are replaced by Scrip
- Opportunity Items (Guide)
- PoSI Item Crafting (mobile-friendly version)
- Professions (Guide)
- Renown Item Quirk Changes
- Selling Your Soul (Guide)
- The Feast of the Exceptional Rose
- Fruits of the Zee Festival (Guide)
- 12 Days of Mr Sacks
- Whitsun (Guide)
- See also: Category:Historical events
Guides related to the wiki and editing
Guides that no longer are relevant or are permanently out-of date
- Iron Republic's Agricultural Growth Manual for Austere and Hedonist Caps
- Knife-and-Candle (Guide)
If you're looking for a guide to some aspect of the game and it doesn't exist yet, feel free to list it here. If you see a missing guide listed here and you think you can create one, please do! Any contribution is appreciated!
Existing Guides Needing Work
If you find that one of the existing guides could use some editing attention, feel free to list it here. Please also mention a reason, so we know when it's done
- Ambition: Bag a Legend (Guide) - Needs more info about the final stages
- Ambition: Light Fingers (Guide) - Needs more info
- Ambition: Nemesis (Guide) - Needs expansion
- Assembling a Skeleton (Guide) - Could do with a bit more polishing
- Assembling a Skeleton (Guide)/Bone Sources - Work in progress
- Cover Identities (Guide) needs some details filled in, better/fuller explanations, and some reformatting.
- Destinies (Guide) should be mostly complete, but needs a little clean-up / formatting work.
- Embarking on a Voyage of Scientific Discovery (Guide) - Needs a final table as well as some polishing
- Fruits of the Zee Festival (Guide) is mostly a collection of links at the moment and needs to be fleshed out into a proper guide
- Hallowmas (Guide)
- Helicon House (Guide) basic draft, needs a lot of work probably
- Making Waves (Guide) needs more info about MW opportunities on Lodgings cards besides the Handsome Townhouse and social slights
- Moulin Expeditions (Guide) needs a lot of expansion.
- Hinterland Scrip-Making (extending)
- Parabolan Hunting (Guide) - See guide
- Parabolan War (Guide) - Needs section on Parabolan trains
- Railway Board (Guide) needs more details on what alters the Persuasive challenge difficulty of getting the board members' votes.
- Statues at the GHR Stations (Guide) - Needs revision on current statues, as well as new statues (including Fate-locked ones!)
- Writing a Monograph (Guide) has some basic details, but mostly just hosts (incomplete) tables at the moment.
Guides which permanently need watching to ensure they stay up to date
If a Guide is about a subject which constantly changes list it here.