This Guide is meant to give you an overview of how Factions work but not necessarily the specifics. Most of the paragraphs in this guide contain a link to a more in-depth guide which tells you about specific actions needed what the best options are etc.
What are Factions?
Factions are as the name already implies the main groups in London. Some Factions encompass entire layers of society and some only a single person and their organisation. The Factions in London are:
- Rubbery Men
- The Church
- The Docks
- The Duchess
- The Great Game
- The Masters of the Bazaar
- The Widow
- London's twin universities
Your relationship with these factions is tracked by four qualities:
- Favours, Favours are as the name already says Favours that a Faction owes you
- Renown; Renown is how well respected you are by a Faction
- Closest To Is the Faction you're currently Closest To
- Connected, Connected is an outdated mechanic that's only used by a few Factions
Connections vs Renown/Favours
Fallen London used to have a single quality for your standing with Factions called Connected. This system however, has since been replaced for almost all Factions, except The Masters, The Duchess,The Widow and London's twin universities Benthic and Summerset. Connections was replaced with a new dual system called Favours and Renown. Favours tracks how much a Faction owes you and are regularly consumed during actions. Renown tracks how much a Faction respects you and is never decreased.
An more in-depth guide to including the best ways to raise them and what to do with them can be found here.
Connections can be raised in various ways all around London by helping their Faction and are usually consumed when you either do something against the Faction or cash them in for various rewards.
An more in-depth guide to Favours can be found here here
An in-depth guide to what to do with them can be found here
There are three main ways to raise Favours. These are:
- The Factions card. Each Faction has its own card, these have at least one option which gains you a favour in exchange for a small price in items.
- The Connected Pet of each Faction. Each Faction (except for Rubbery Men) has their own connected pet, each pet has a card associated with it which has (amongst other things) a option which gives a single Favour of the associated Faction. These pets can be gained in Watchmakers Hill with the storylet A Clandestine Rendezvous.
- Mrs Plenty's Carnival. As long as your Renown with the faction is lower than 5 you can exchange 2 actions and a Carnival Ticket to increase your Renown with the faction and gain a Favour. This is an incredible good deal and should absolutely be used.
Favours can be used for a great many things. Most major locations have a storylet where you can trade in various Favours for rewards an there are uncountable storylets which use them. Favours can also be used to increase your renown past 5 with Factions.
At any point you can be Closest To one Renown/Favour-using Faction. You become Closest to a Faction via an option on their relevant card. Closest To doesn't do a whole lot and is mainly a roleplaying thing, but it does open up a new option on the Faction Card of that Faction. If you want to become Closest To to another Faction you must first betray the Faction your currently Closest To on their Faction Card and then become Closest To the faction you want to be Closest To on their Faction Card.
Renown is the other half of the coin from Favours: far harder to earn, but never decreases. The two main ways to raise Renown are:
- Mrs Plenty's Carnival. As mentioned above, Mrs Plenty's Carnival is by far the easiest way to raise both Favours and Renown until Renown reaches level 5. Use this!
- The Faction's Item. Each Faction (except the Masters and the Duchess) has a unique item associated with them:
By using these items, the player can spend items to increase Connections or Favours to increase Renown. It is important to note that these items are not consumed when you use them to gain Renown, which is why they are so expensive. Raising Renown will unlock new storylets with certain Factions, as well as...
An more in-depth guide to renown items can be found here
Renown items are equipment you can get if your Renown with a Faction is high enough. As your Renown reaches 10, 25 and 40 you can spend 3,5 and 7 Favours to get an unique item. Note that for some of these items especially the Renown 40 items usually also require you to be in hard to reach areas:
As to why you would want these items. They're really really good items, and especially the Renown 40 items, but also some of the lower renown ones, are amongst the best in their slot.