To select a new Tier 0 or 1 profession (or any of the Less Entangled Professions), you'll first need to quit your current one (if you have any), and you can do so via Resign from your Profession under Send a Message to a Contact in your Your Social Engagements.
For Tier 1 professions you then have to wait for the desired Faction Cards to show up. You can force-draw the card if you have a Favourable Circumstance. But don't do so unless you have already acquired the five necessary favours from the relevant faction, or you'll waste your Favourable Circumstance.
Tier 2 and 3 professions are selected from An Unsigned Message. In order to select one, you must be currently employed in its prerequisite profession. The Less Entangled Professions are also selected here but do not have prerequisites.
|Enquirer|| +250 CP Watchful|
500 x Whispered Hint
|Minor Poet|| +250 CP Persuasive|
500 x Jade Fragment
|Pickpocket|| +250 CP Shadowy|
500 x Moon-Pearl
|Tough|| +250 CP Dangerous|
500 x Piece of Rostygold
|1||Campaigner|| Feckless Supporters (Companion)
(Dangerous +6, Persuasive +6)
|The Campaigner's reward ( 37.5 + Favours):|
1 x Favour in High Places
|2||Mystic|| Circle of Acolytes (Companion)
(Persuasive +9, Dangerous +9, Respectable +1)
|The Mystic's reward ( 50):|
|3||Silverer|| Set of Cosmogone Spectacles (Hat)
(Persuasive +12, Dangerous +12, Bizarre +1, Glasswork +1)
|A Silverer's Penny ( 60 + Favours):|
|1||Enforcer|| Burly Assistant (Companion)
(Dangerous +6, Shadowy +6)
|The Enforcer's reward ( 34 + Favours):|
|2||Murderer|| Discreet Firearm (Weapon)
(Dangerous +9, Shadowy +9, Dreaded +1)
|The Murderer's reward ( 50 + Favours):|
|3||Licentiate|| A List, Writ in Gant (Weapon)
(Dangerous +12, Shadowy +12, Bizarre +1, Kataleptic Toxicology +1)
|The Licentiate's Bounty ( 60 + Favours):|
|1||Journalist|| Little Red Notebook (Weapon)
(Persuasive +6, Watchful +6)
|The Journalist's reward ( 32.5 + Favours):|
|2||Author|| Appreciation Society (Companion)
(Persuasive +9, Watchful +9, Respectable +1)
|The Author's reward ( 47.5 + Favours):|
|3||Correspondent|| A Pot of Violant Ink (Weapon)
(Watchful +12, Persuasive +12, Bizarre +1, Artisan of the Red Science +1)
|The Correspondent's Accomplishments ( 60 + Favours):|
|1||Rat-Catcher|| Ratting Piece (Weapon)
(Dangerous +6, Watchful +6)
|The Rat-Catcher's reward ( 37.5 + Favours):|
|2||Stalker|| Perspicacious Lurcher (Companion)
(Dangerous +9, Watchful +9, Respectable +1)
|The Stalker's reward ( 50 + Favours):|
|3||Monster-Hunter|| A Notched Bone Harpoon (Weapon)
(Dangerous +12, Watchful +12, Dreaded +1, Monstrous Anatomy +1)
|The Monster-Hunter's Labours ( 60 + Favours):|
|1||Trickster|| Loathsome Imp (Companion)
(Shadowy +6, Persuasive +6)
|The Trickster's reward ( 38.09 + Favours):|
10 x Brilliant Soul
1 x Storm-Threnody
1 x Dazed Raven Advisor
1 x Lucky Weasel
599 x Jade Fragment
1 x Stolen Kiss
1 x Thirsty Bombazine Scrap
5 x Maniac's Prayer
1 x Bottle of Broken Giant 1844
1 x Favours: Hell
1 x Favours: Urchins
|2||Conjurer|| Horrid Imp (Companion)
(Shadowy +9, Persuasive +9, Bizarre +2)
|The Conjurer's reward ( 50):|
10 x Aeolian Scream
2 x Blackmail Material
1 x Favours: Society
1 x Favours: Hell
|3||Crooked-Cross|| A Crooked Cross (Weapon)
(Persuasive +12, Shadowy +12, Dreaded +1, Mithridacy +1)
|The Wage of a Crooked-Cross ( 60 + Favours):|
|1||Watcher|| Revolting Disguise (Hat)
(Shadowy +6, Watchful +6)
|The Watcher's reward ( 37.50 + Favours):|
1 x Blackmail Material
1 x Antique Mystery
100 x Moon-Pearl
8 x Dubious Testimony
3 x Sworn Statement
1 x Favours: Constables
1 x Favours: The Great Game
|2||Agent|| Memento of a Struggle (Weapon)
(Watchful +9, Shadowy +9, Dreaded +1)
|The Agent's Reward ( 50 + Favours):|
10 x Presbyterate Passphrase
10 x An Identity Uncovered!
1 x Favours: Constables
1 x Favours: The Great Game
|3||Midnighter|| Shrine to Saint Joshua (Home Comfort)
(Watchful +9, Shadowy +9, Dreaded +1, A Player of Chess +1)
|The Midnighter's Currency ( 60 + Favours):|
Less Entangled Professions
|2.5||Tutor||6000 x Penny|
|2.5||Undermanager||6000 x Penny|
|3.5||Doctor||7000 x Penny|
|3.5||Notary||7000 x Penny|
Advanced Profession Uses
Tier 3 Professions have a disproportionate amount of specific options/advantages, sometimes very impactful. Namely:
- gets a +1 bonus to Glasswork from their Set of Cosmogone Spectacles. This skill is mainly used in various Parabolan and Parabola-related activities - entering Parabolan Base-Camp and healing your wounds there, finding and entering other Parabolan locations, navigating while hunting monsters or searching mirrors, fighting in Parabolan War, up/downconverting various Parabolan Cartography items, influencing the dreamers in Viric Jungle, grinding various resources in The Dome of Scales. Also, many other activities/places have occasional Glasswork checks of various importance, such as harder Heists, Licensed by Mr Hearts, Helicon House, cooking and Master visits in Station VIII, Church of the Wild in Burrow-Infra-Mump, Moulin Expeditions and Monographs, Khaganian Intrigues.
- can establish the Parabolan Base-Camp for 300 x Memory of Light + 25 worth of other items as opposed to 1001 for other players (a one-time saving equivalent to 350 ).
- each consequent visit into Parabola costs the Silverer only 50 x Drop of Prisoner's Honey, as opposed to 100 for other players (a saving of 1 ). Additionally, Silverers can travel directly between several locations without needing to stop by their Base-Camp first, saving in clicks though not actions.
- can spend 3 x Moves in the Great Game for 2 x Advance! while Traversing the Wastes of Want in Parabolan War.
- can Offer yourself as escort and guide, gaining 2 Fitting in at Helicon House as opposed to 1 for regular option.
- less affected by The Mirror's Hunger when using shortcuts in The Wellspring of Moulin or The Pillared Sea - gains only 1 as opposed to 2 for other players. Depending on an option chosen on That Which was Taken card, a saving of 10 CP Nightmares, 10 CP Wounds, 100 x Memory of Light or (presumably) 1-70 lost CP Watchful.
- can lose 7 CP Wounds for free In the Court of the Fathomking. This is the same amount lost from spending 10 x Romantic Notion (a saving of 1 ).
- gets a +1 bonus to Kataleptic Toxicology from their A List of Aliases, Writ in Gant. This skill is mainly used in dealing with various toxic and alchemical substances - Lab work such as generating Laboratory Research for various experiments or directly helping to Disambiguate an Eolith, some options in The Bone Market, cooking in Station VIII and processing of its factory’s products. Also, many other activities/places have occasional Kataleptic Toxicology checks of various importance, such as various London, Zailing the Unterzee and Upper River cards, Brawling, Ealing Spa, Moulin Expeditions, Khaganian Intrigues, Parabolan Base-Camp, Viric Jungle, The Dome of Scales, Parabolan War, navigating while hunting monsters or searching mirrors in Parabola.
- can supply their own skeletons and skulls when making a skeleton in The Bone Market, at no action/resource cost. Simply combining these options and selling to specific buyers opens up a quick and easy 3.75/3.81 EPA grind. Also, using only the first option serves as a substitute for a Headless Skeleton, allowing for likewise quick and easy converting of Echoes (buying and attaching Bright Brass Skull) or Hinterland Scrip (buying and attaching Sabre-toothed Skull) into specific resources available in the Bone Market.
- can recognise their quarry and kill them while meeting a passenger steamer at Zee, gaining 250 x Piece of Rostygold and 5 CP Troubled Waters in addition to Zailing... on success.
- can use Dangerous instead of A Player of Chess during the mid-game when playing Chess at The Chessboard, getting 3 x Positional Advantages on success. However, unlike other options, Dangerous challenge currently isn't 100%-able.
- can occasionally Pass through a distracting mirror while hunting monsters or searching mirrors in Parabola, abandoning the hunt/search and returning to London for 25 x Hinterland Scrip.
- can be sent Name Written in Gant, providing easy levelling in Shadowy and Dangerous as well as 500 x Piece of Rostygold and 2 x Moves in the Great Game per each Name, while senders lose 500 x Piece of Rostygold, 6 CP Suspicion and 6 CP Scandal, and gain 1 x Memento of Silence.
- can get 1 x Devilbone Die and 2 x Hard-Earned Lesson (uncapped) while Dreaming in Viric during a Feast of the Exceptional Rose, if Cheery Man is chosen as a partner.
- gets a +1 bonus to Artisan of the Red Science from their A Pot of Violant Ink. This skill is mainly used in Lab for Red Science experiments, generating Laboratory Research and Parabolan Research for them or directly helping to start/finish them, and is necessary for duplicating various skulls through the application of Device for the Duplication of Bones in The Bone Market. Also, certain other activities/places have occasional Artisan of the Red Science checks of various importance, such as a card in London, a card in The Salt Steppes, Brawling, Balmoral, Moulin Monographs, The Hurlers, dismantling of the Corresponding Sounder.
- can establish a Laboratory for free, without paying 1 x Justificande Coin, 1 x Primaeval Hint and 1 x Cellar of Wine as other players have to - a one-time saving equivalent to 75 plus the actions required to obtain the Coin.
- furthermore, can expand their Laboratory from 2 to 3 workbenches for free, without paying 1 x Judgements' Egg - an additional one-time saving of 62.5 .
- has, while very limited in application, most efficient options for getting Laboratory Research - can get 30 + 1 x Equipment for Scientific Experimentation at the start of any experiment, and can use Scholar of the Correspondence during related experiments for generating research similarly to Skills, except with a cap of 40 instead of 35.
- can Write something to sear the eyes of fools and lift up the great powers at the Statue at Station VIII to exchange 4 x Correspondence Plaque and 3 x Aeolian Scream for 1 x Storm-Threnody.
- can send letters (spending 5 x F.F. Gebrandt's Flame-Resilient Paper, 2 x Volume of Collated Research and 2 x Extraordinary Implication per each) to increase the recipient's A Scholar of the Correspondence, Dangerous, Watchful and Wounds.
- can be invited to an Orphanage by another player, getting 5 CP Making Waves, 15 x Correspondence Plaque and 1 x Favours: Urchins while sender loses 15 CP Engaged in a Scheme: an Orphanage and gains 200 CP Making Waves.
- can Write a monograph on it...in it during Christmas, using up an Unusual Pail of So-Called Snow and gaining 3 CP Nightmares for 2-14 CP A Scholar of the Correspondence (up to level 15), 60 CP Watchful, 1-20 CP Making Waves, 10 CP Connected: Benthic and 10 CP Connected: Summerset.
- gets a +1 bonus to Monstrous Anatomy from their A Notched Bone Harpoon. This skill is mainly used when dealing with monsters/animals or their body parts - hunting them in Parabola, generating Laboratory Research for related experiments or directly helping to Determine the true nature of this bone, and (more than any other skill) in The Bone Market (including a challenge that requires level 15 to 100% and is a crucial part of top EPA grinds). Also, certain other activities/places have occasional Monstrous Anatomy checks of various importance, such as a card while Zailing the Unterzee, harder Heists, Brawling, Diving in the Magistracy, cooking in Station VIII, Anglican Diocese in Burrow-Infra-Mump.
- can spear a runaway potbelly stove at Hurlers, capturing it in 5 actions instead of 3 successes, but without the risk of failures and Wounds (which adds up to higher total than 5 considering that the basic options are impossible to 100% currently), and with an additional profit - every spearing gives 2 x Correspondence Plaque on average.
- while hunting the Plated Seal, can progress faster and engage it in single combat in the end - the latter, however, only gives flavour and no mechanical advantages compared to the ordinary option.
- can Go on a rat-catching expedition while Zailing the Unterzee, without the risk of failure, Troubled Waters gain and 50/100 more Rats on String compared to the other options.
- has options on various other cards while Zailing the Unterzee, which don't have stat/skill checks but also don't give Zailing... - they can ram a lifeberg (besides 1 x Extraordinary Implication it gives 1 CP Northern Wind if already present and avoids raising Nightmares) or a a giant angler crab (besides 5 x Deep-zee Catch it removes all Rumbling Stomachs, but also raises Troubled Waters by 1 CP), and if they meet A Chelonite Hunting Ketch they can exchange 10 x Tale of Terror!! for 250 x Moon-Pearl, 250 x Shard of Glim, 5 x Fin Bones, Collected and a Troubled Waters drop.
- can staff their Parabolan Base-Camp with colleagues at the first stage of building it up, not spending 1 x Strong-Backed Labour - a one-time saving of 2.5 .
- gets an additional opportunity to wound their Parabolan quarry during the hunt, further simplifying it - depending on Monstrous Anatomy level and specific quarry, even one wound can completely eliminate the risk of failure.
- can get 1 x Knob of Scintillack and 2 x Hard-Earned Lesson (uncapped) while Dreaming in Viric during a Feast of the Exceptional Rose, if Sinning Jenny is chosen as a partner.
- gets a +1 bonus to Mithridacy from their A Crooked Cross. This skill is mainly used in various truth-bending and deceiving activities - making skeletons in The Bone Market, dealing with the Railway Board of Directors, writing Monographs in Moulin, creating Corrective Historical Narratives and Revisionist Historical Narratives in The Waswood or Moulin. Also, many other activities/places have occasional Mithridacy checks of various importance, such as various London, Zailing the Unterzee and Upper River cards, critically examining a disquieting missive, publishing newspapers, dealing with Student Complaints, Jericho Locks, Evenlode Courts, Balmoral, Diocesan Church of Hell in Burrow-Infra-Mump, Moulin Expeditions, Khaganian Intrigues, Viric Jungle, The Dome of Scales, Parabolan War.
- can Rely on professional contacts to join The Clay Tailor Club.
- can confuse the Railway board, making it easier to convince those who are vulnerable to obfuscation.
- can obtain Rumours of the Upper River from A Familiar Bohemian Sculptress in The Bone Market - however, the Persuasive check is currently impossible to 100%.
- can obtain Esteem of the Guild more cheaply from Debate with the Nostalgic Landlady in Jericho: The Arborist's Hands - however, it takes twice as much actions compared to other options. This makes Charter a barge to the Persephone partially self-funding, providing easy access to Skull in Coral.
- get unique conversational options with Parish Council in Burrow-Infra-Mump.
- can exchange 1 x False Hagiotoponym for 1 x Mortification of a Great Power and Apostate's Psalm in Burrow-Infra-Mump.
- as they have no need for An Epistemologically Flexible Approach to Historiography, Crooked-Crosses can instead get a different weekly reward in The Wellspring of Moulin - 1 x Revisionist Historical Narrative, 1 x Verse of Counter-Creed, 1 x Antique Mystery and an amount of Memory of a Much Lesser Self equal to their Mithridacy/2.
- can use Persuasive instead of A Player of Chess during the mid-game when playing Chess at The Chessboard, getting 3 x Positional Advantages on success. However, unlike other options, Persuasive challenge currently isn't 100%-able, and the failure changes Colour at the Chessboard to Red if it wasn't already.
- can send letters (spending 1 x Verse of Counter-Creed per each) to increase the recipient's Mithridacy, Persuasive, Watchful and Nightmares.
- can spend 10 CP Corresponding... for 1 x Silent Soul and an amount of Souls equal to (5/2) × their (Base Watchful + Base Persuasive).
- can be invited to a Salon by another player, getting 20 CP Making Waves, 10 x Intriguing Snippet and 10 x Romantic Notion while sender loses 15 CP Engaged in a Scheme: a Salon and gains 2 CP Scandal and 200 CP Making Waves.
- gets a +1 bonus to A Player of Chess from their Shrine to Saint Joshua. This skill is mainly used in various Great Game and Great Game-related activities like spying on, manipulating and deceiving people - playing on The Chessboard, working in Cabinet Noir and other activities in Balmoral, dealing with the Railway Board of Directors, Khaganian Intrigues. Also, certain other activities/places have occasional A Player of Chess checks of various importance, such as various London, Zailing the Unterzee and Upper River cards, Counter-Church in the Wild in Burrow-Infra-Mump, The Dome of Scales, Parabolan War.
- can blackmail the Railway board, making it easier to convince those who are vulnerable to corruption.
- can gain more Disappearing... and Deciphering... per action in the Cabinet Noir in Balmoral.
- can lose 7 CP Wounds for free In the Court of the Fathomking. This is the same amount lost from spending 10 x Romantic Notion (a saving of 1 ).
- while meeting A Khaganian Patrol Vessel in The Salt Steppes, can Record their position, gaining an amount of Moves in the Great Game scaling with their Renown: The Great Game with no risk at the cost of halved Zailing... gain.
- at midnight in Khan's Heart can take a special option to progress the current intrigue, losing 1 CP Nightmares and gaining 10 CP Infiltrating... with no risk.
- can find The Chessboard more easily and can gain 1 x Vienna Opening once during early game, at the cost of progressing without gaining Positional Advantages.
- can send letters (spending 1 x Vital Intelligence and gaining 1 x Memento of Silence per each) to increase the recipient's Shadowy, Watchful and Suspicion.
- can be invited to an Orphanage by another player, getting 5 CP Making Waves, 15 x Scrap of Incendiary Gossip and 1 x Favours: The Great Game while sender loses 15 CP Engaged in a Scheme: an Orphanage and gains 200 CP Making Waves.
- can get 1 x Perfumed Gunpowder and 2 x Hastily Scrawled Warning Note (uncapped) while Dreaming in Viric during a Feast of the Exceptional Rose, if Gracious Widow is chosen as a partner.
While choosing a profession, it can be advantageous to, instead of trying to choose “best” profession, think in terms of suitability to a particular playstyle.
Where/on what do you spend/plan to spend most of your time? Are there any particular locations on activities which are necessary for a particular goal or simply attractive?
- Players who spend a large amount of time in Parabola and/or often move between Parabola and London/Upper River may want to choose Silverer.
- Players who prefer to hunt monsters in Parabola and at Zee may want to choose Monster-Hunter.
- Players spending a large amount of time in Moulin may want to choose Crooked-Cross.
- Players spending a large amount of time in Balmoral or at The Chessboard may want to choose Midnighter.
- Players seeking to optimise Railway Board meetings may want to choose Crooked-Cross or Midnighter.
- Players spending a large amount of time in Lab may want to choose Correspondent, Licentiate or Monster-Hunter, depending on which types of experiments they prefer the most - Red Science/Correspondence, Chemical, Biological or perhaps they don't have a particular preference and just want to get all experiments done at least a little faster?
- Players often making skeletons in the Bone Market may want to choose Monster-Hunter, Licentiate, Crooked-Cross or Correspondent, depending on which types of skeletons they prefer the most.
- Players spending a large amount of time in Khanate may want to choose Silverer, Crooked-Cross or Licentiate depending on Weapon of a Khaganian Front:, or Midnighter if they can 100% the checks without profession items.
- Players spending a large amount of time Brawling may want to choose Monster-Hunter, Correspondent or Licentiate, depending on which BDR/Skill option they have access to/best chances on.
- Players looking to train their acquaintances and/or help them with grinding Making Waves may want to choose Correspondent, Crooked-Cross or Midnighter.
Of course, it's not an exhaustive list, and more importantly, it's not necessary to choose permanently - for example, you can take a profession to get a particular grind done more quickly or to meet stat requirements for Renown/Scholar of the Correspondence/Poet-Laureate/Defender of the Public Safety, take Correspondent or Silverer for a massive one-time cost reductions, et cetera. Also, while those recommendations might be true in general sense, specific playstyle may still require a different profession from a main activity for various reasons:
- Glasswork items are way more common/accessible than other Skill items, allowing some players to 100% all relevant checks without being a Silverer.
- Specific Ambition items may allow to 100% all relevant checks without a professional item.
- Old/rich players may have accumulated seasonal and/or fate-locked items, which allow them to 100% all relevant checks without a professional item.
- Crooked-Cross Mithridacy bonus can be replaced with An Epistemologically Flexible Approach to Historiography - if a player has unlocked The Wellspring of Moulin, and doesn't mind necessary weekly expedition/giving up a material weekly reward, they can weigh the remaining advantages of a Crooked-Cross against other professions.
Last, but not least, simply flavour of the profession may be important for players focused on roleplay - after all, the game is mainly a story.