This page contains details about Fallen London Actions.
This Guide is about how to best make Hinterland Scrip; if you're more interested in Echoes check Money-Making
Once the player established the Great Hellbound Railway, they can access the Hinterlands where Echoes are replaced by Hinterland Scrip as a currency. Instead of the Bazaar, they will have access to shops at the Upper River Exchange to buy and sell certain items. Scrip is also (extensively) needed to develop the stations along the railway.
Scrip cannot be bought directly, but going by items that can be sold at both the Bazaar and the Upper River Exchange, the value of 1 Scrip is roughly equal to 0.5 Echoes. To convert Scrip to Echoes, the player can simply buy Tin of Zzoup or Tinned Ham and sell them back the Bazaar. Converting Echoes to Scrip tends to involve much more work and actions, with one notable partial exception: The licentiate bone market grind (the best of the non--Fate-locked grinds listed below) can be modified to primarily (>80%) convert echoes to Scrip, and only secondarily (<20%) grind actions into scrip. Even there, it is not possible to convert an arbitrary number of echoes per action. Thus, for non-licentiates, it is much more efficient to either farm Scrip directly, or farm items that can then be sold for Scrip at the Upper River Exchange; licenciates may do this, or follow a mixed path.
(In the following, we will use SPA to denote Scrip per action.)
Holding your breath in the Hurlers
Requires high Dangerous, and access to The Hurlers, the eighth station of the Railway. Relies on Hurlers: Darkness manipulation and holding your breath underwater, plus requires Correspondence Plaques. Generates large amounts of Final Breath. (Source)
- Start with Stoking the Stove 1 and 7 Darkness (this is the state immediately after bringing the stove back to the station).
- Add more plaques to the stove 9 times (this drops Darkness to 1 + 0 CP and raises Stoking the Stove to 4 + 0 CP). This costs 9 actions and 63 Correspondence Plaques.
- Hold your breath underwater. This costs 1 action and gains ~29 Final Breaths. (holding your breath underwater gives 32-34 Final Breaths, reduced by 4*Darkness)
- Add more plaques to the stove again (drops Darkness to 0, raises Stoking the Stove to 4 + 1 CP). This costs 1 action and 7 Plaques.
- Perform the following loop 8 times:
- Hold your breath underwater twice. The first time gets you ~33 Final Breaths (0 Darkness), the second gets you ~29. This costs 2 actions and gains ~62 Final Breaths (it also raises Darkness to 2 + 1 CP)
- Add more plaques to the stove (drops Darkness to 1 + 0 CP, raises Stoking the Stove by 1 CP). This costs 1 action and 7 Plaques.
- Hold your breath underwater (raises Darkness to 2 + 0 CP). This costs 1 action and gains ~29 Breaths.
- Add more plaques to the stove (drops Darkness to 0, raises Stoking the Stove by 1 CP). This costs 1 action and 7 Plaques.
- Each iteration of the loop costs 5 actions and 14 Plaques, raises Stoking the Stove by 2 CP, and gains ~91 Breaths. So, performing 8 iterations costs 40 actions and 112 Plaques, raises Stoking the Stove to 6 + 6 CP and gains ~728 Breaths.
- Hold your breath underwater twice, then add more plaques to the stove (same as in steps 5.1 and 5.2 - costs 3 actions and 7 Plaques, sets Darkness to 1 + 0 CP and Stoking the Stove to 7, gets ~62 Final Breaths)
- Hold your breath underwater 10 times.
- The first time gives ~29 Final Breaths (1 Darkness)
- The second and third give ~25 Breaths (2 Darkness)
- The fourth and fifth give ~21 Breaths (3 Darkness)
- The sixth and seventh give ~17 Breaths (4 Darkness)
- The eighth to tenth give ~13 Breaths (5 Darkness)
- In total, this costs 10 actions and gains ~181 Breaths.
- Add more plaques to the stove. Since you now have Stoking the Stove 7, this sets Darkness to 7 and Stoking the Stove to 8. It also gives 2 CP of Scandal (Tracklayers' Displeasure is ignored, since its effects are insignificant). This costs 1 action and 7 Plaques.
- Now you need to hunt the stove down. This is technically card-dependent, but it's a 10x frequency card in a smaller deck so you shouldn't have much trouble. If you succeed all the checks, this costs 4 actions and gets you 5E worth of bats. This returns you to where you started, with 7 Darkness and Stoking the Stove 1.
In total you spend 69 actions and 196 Plaques for 1000 Final Breaths (worth 1000 scrip) and 5E.
In order to make this a self-contained grind, the necessary Correspondence Plaques must be obtained from somewhere. The best way to get them is by publishing Salacious newspapers with all of the special options for Journals of Infamy (the Scraps of Incendiary Gossip needed for the social action can be obtained by publishing seditious editions: see Publishing a Newspaper (Guide) for more details) and cross-converting them. Doing this gets you ~6.76 Plaques per action, so obtaining the 196 Plaques necessary costs 28.98 actions (97.98 actions total).
However, this grind involves a number of difficult Dangerous checks. Hold your breath underwater has difficulty 190 (needs 317 Dangerous to 100%), and bringing the stove back requires succeeding a difficulty 280 check 3 times (impossible to 100%), though this can be substituted with a difficulty 310 Shadowy check (not considered here). The final EPA is calculated for two different Dangerous values: 317 (minimum to 100% the Hold your breath underwater check - technically obtainable, but out of reach for most characters) and 288 (maximum obtainable without mood/fate/ambition/profession/destiny/spouse/club items). Menaces must also be taken into account - it is assumed here that all menaces are cleared at 6 CP per action using social actions.
With 317 Dangerous, the difficulty 190 check on Hold your breath underwater never fails, and the difficulty 280 check on Challenge it with your fists succeeds 67% of the time. Since you need three successes, the expected number of failures is 1.478. Each failure incurs 3 CP of Wounds and each success incurs 1 CP, so the expected amount of Wounds incurred is 7.432 CP. You also get 2 CP of Scandal when the stove escapes, so in total the expected number of actions spent clearing menaces is 1.572. The final action cost is therefore 101.03, for 9.87 SPA.
With 288 Dangerous, the Hold your breath underwater check has a 90% success chance, and the Challenge it with your fists check has a 61% success chance. You need 37 successes when holding your breath, so the expected number of failures is 4.111 (incurring 8.222 CP of Wounds). You need 3 successes when bringing the stove back, so the expected number of failures is 1.918 (incurring 5.754 CP of Wounds from failures, and 3 CP from successes). The expected number of actions spent on menace reduction is 3.163, and the final action cost is 107.17, for 9.33 SPA.
Grinds at Helicon House
Fate-free Casing...-based grind:
- 1st Phase:
- 2nd Phase:
- Alternate between the two phases
- Gives a total of 55 Scrip per 8 actions, i.e. 6.875 SPA (plus items worth up to 1.46 on average, depending on entrance method)
- 1st Phase:
- Enter Helicon House
- Deploy your Morally and Physically Flexible Rubbery Cat twice (gives 14 CP of Casing... and consumes 6 Hand-picked Peppercaps)
- Keep a close eye on everyone present twice (gives 9 CP of Casing..., for a total of 23 CP)
- Forget the biscuits, take the Solacefruit for items worth 29 Scrip (a net profit of 23 Scrip, since 6 Peppercaps were consumed by the cat)
- 2nd Phase:
- Do the first phase 15 times, then the second phase 23 times
- Gives a total of 943 Scrip per 136 actions, i.e. 6.934 SPA (plus items worth up to 29.58 on average, depending on entrance method)
If you have a single-action source of Glass Gazettes, like Church-in-the-Wild or Chorus of Cats:
- Grind a ton of Glass Gazettes, number must be divisible by 5.
- At Helicon:
Essentially, you spend 5 actions for Gazettes and 29 scrip, then spend 5 actions to cash them in and get 29 more scrip as a surplus. Very straightforward grind with payout approaching 5.8 SPA if you grind in bulk.
- 1st Phase:
- 2nd Phase:
- Do the first phase 5 times, then the second phase 4 times
- Gives a total of 244 Scrip per 33 actions, i.e. 7.394 SPA (plus items worth up to 6.34 on average, depending on entrance method)
- The Morally and Physically Flexible Rubbery Cat does not improve this version of the grind.
Variations of the above:
- Gaining bonus casing from the Platonic Partner in Crime improves each of the above grinds, although it limits your options for a Fitting In Companion down to only Your Perpetually Festive Rubbery Friend
- the grind with neither the A Pendant of Helicon Amber nor the Morally and Physically Flexible Rubbery Cat is improved to 7.048 SPA
- the Morally and Physically Flexible Rubbery Cat-based grind is improved to 7.190 SPA
- the A Pendant of Helicon Amber-based grind is improved to 7.571 SPA
- a Player Spouse has a similar, but lesser, effect
- Not having a Fitting in companion means that it takes one more action to spend Casing... (which is best spent Keeping a close eye on everyone present), and reduces the Solacefruit payout of some versions of the grind. Also, it changes the maths somewhat on when it's worth using the Morally and Physically Flexible Rubbery Cat.
- the grind with neither the A Pendant of Helicon Amber nor the Morally and Physically Flexible Rubbery Cat is reduced to 6.205 SPA
- the Morally and Physically Flexible Rubbery Cat-based grind is reduced to 6.248 SPA
- in this case it is optimal to Deploy your Morally and Physically Flexible Rubbery Cat only once when building up Casing... (and not at all when spending it)
- the A Pendant of Helicon Amber-based grind is reduced to 6.625 SPA
- in the absence of a Fitting in companion, the Morally and Physically Flexible Rubbery Cat slightly improves this version of the grind - it is optimal to Deploy your Morally and Physically Flexible Rubbery Cat when building up Casing..., but not when spending it
- this improves the grind to 6.630 SPA
- Entering the second time with the Oneiric Key instead of the Pendant pays an extra 5 x Romantic Notion, without changing the Scrip or Actions.
Alternative ways to gain Hinterland Scrip include:
- The Licentiate Bone Market grind noted in the Money-Making page can be adapted to get Hinterland Scrip instead of Echoes by selling the Crate of Incorruptible Biscuits at the Upper River Exchange instead of at the Bazaar. This yields 7.5 SPA, assuming one discounts the travel cost west. (requires being a Licentiate)
- This can be modified to additionally convert 62.5 echoes to 125 scrip each cycle (on top of the 30 scrip per cycle generated by the unmodified grind), by using a brass skull purchased at the bazaar in place of a victim's skull, and having sufficiently high mithridacy and shadowy. This gives a total of 38.75 SPA (at a cost of 15.625 EPA).
- Selling Infernal Sharpshooter Rifles at the Souvenir-Shop in Jericho Locks: Assuming a fully upgraded Lab and a level 5 Visionary Student, this gives 5.615 SPA (including the journey). The SPA-ratio can be further improved by
- researching multiple rifles and selling them in bulk
- having weapon-experts (from ambitions) working in your Lab
- having a high level of Train Luxuries
- Note: Buying Sharpshooter Rifles at the Bazaar exchanges Echoes for Scrip at a ratio slightly better than 1:1 (depending on Train Luxuries level.)
- Brawling for Crate of Incorruptible Biscuits and selling them at the Upper River Exchange, gives 5 SPA (including the journey), tending towards 5.5 as you stockpile biscuits.
- Selling Cartographer's Hoards at the Upper River Exchange: Having a fully upgraded Lab and a level 5 Visionary Student, this comes down to 4.8 SPA (including the journey). Also having Hephaesta working in the Lab, increases this to 5.48 SPA.
- Several "epilogues" to end-game activities allow you to grind items depending on the choice made. These include: Manoeuvre the Counter-Church after establishing the Counter-Church (Chess 6 Challenge), Take tea in the vestry for Church In The Wild, Perform Outreach for the Church for Anglican Diocese, Speak with the Khatun for liberating the Khatun in the Fingerkings campaign, Enter the Palatinate alone without cat title after refusing King's deal in the Cats campaign and Enter the house (Red) for siding with the Red in the Chess campaign. Each of these actions gives you items that can be sold at Upper River, resulting in flat 5 SPA, not counting the travel actions.
Getting Scrip before the Railway
Here are a few sources to get scrip before you reach Ealing Gardens or get access to Helicon House. They are not as efficient, but are good enough to take you to Ealing:
- If the player can reach Kataleptic Toxicology 10, they can get a consistent 4.00 SPA by contributing some expertise to the next novel of the Author of Gothic Tales at the Bone Market.
- Attaching Bright Brass Skull to Headless Skeleton (and then Sell to a Constable) exchanges Echoes for Scrip at a favorable ratio with minimal action expenditure:
- Buying Headless Skeletons at The Small Stalls gives approximately a 2:1 Scrip to Echoes ratio, converting an investment of 74.5 Echoes ((72.5 on failure) into 150 Hinterland Scrip (145 on failure).
- Using card-dependent sources for Headless Skeletons improves this, converting a 64.5 Echoes investment (62.5 on failure) into 150 Hinterland Scrip (145 on failure).