Placing a Bet
To begin a game of Hurling, you first have to place a bet on which goat-demon team will lose, which costs 15 x Hinterland Scrip. After the game, you’ll be rewarded depending on whether your bet was correct or not:
- 1 x Memory of Discordance and 75 x Intriguing Snippet if you were right
- 15 x Hinterland Scrip if you were wrong
- 1 x Stalemate if the goat circles tied
Whichever goat circle wins also determines which Discordant Law can be enacted, regardless of which bet you made:
- First Circle wins: Someone Following You
- Second Circle wins: Frozen Thoughts
- The circles tie: Another Mouth
See here for the different effects of each law. You can place your bet in accordance with which Law you want, or if you just want your Hinterland Scrip back, you can bet the opposite way instead.
Goat vs Goat
- < 100 means that the First Circle wins
- > 100 means that the Second Circle wins
- Exactly 100 means that the circles tie
|…is pulling ahead||…is taking the lead|
|The First Circle…||GvG > 100||GvG < 100|
|The Second Circle…||GvG < 100||GvG > 100|
If it says they’re “about evenly matched”, then that means that Goat vs Goat is exactly 100.
Playing the Game
Most cards have a standard effect regardless of which circle you bet on. Other cards change based on which circle you bet on — success will help in favor of the outcome you predicted, and failure will go against the outcome you predicted. What this means for those cards is:
- With Betting on the Hurlers 1 (First Circle loses): success will gain Goat vs Goat, failure will lose it
- With Betting on the Hurlers 2 (Second Circle loses): success will lose Goat vs Goat, failure will gain it
The table below shows the cards with different effects based on your bet. If a card has a standard effect, it says if you gain or lose Goat vs Goat. If it has a varying effect, it says if it changes Goat vs Goat in favor of or against the bet you made.
Failing most challenges will accumulate Fouls!, meaning that the team you picked to lose is losing suspiciously well. When you reach 5 x Fouls!, a storylet will autofire that has a small chance of just reducing Hurlyburly and giving you 1 x Magisterial Lager, but will most likely also change Goat vs Goat against the outcome you bet on (losing Goat vs Goat if you bet on the First Circle to lose, and vice versa for the Second Circle). It will also reset your number of Fouls! back to zero.
Strategy: Tying the game
Because almost every card will change Goat vs Goat by a random amount, it can be difficult to tie the game to get Another Mouth. The card Attar of Roses is crucial because it automatically ties the game on a success, no matter the previous value of Goat vs Goat. You will need to go into the game with at least 3 x Attar to use it.