Parabolan Hunting (Guide)
A cheat sheet for hunting quarries via Track the Animals of Parabola:
|Quarry||Reward for defeat||Reward for searching lair||Ferocity||Unlocked with|
|Seven-Throated Warbler||1 x Seven-Throated Warbler||1 x Hillmover||6||automatically|
|Focused Albatross||1 x Focused Albatross||none||8||1 x Trophy|
|Storm-bird||1 x Storm-bird|| 5 x Steel Ingot or
1 x Contraption (rare) or
1 x Model Ship (rare)
|Terror Bird||1 x Direful Reflection||1 x Thorned Ribcage||20||Iron-Toothed Terror Bird|
|Carnivorous Aurochs||1 x Memory of Discordance||none||18||Carnivorous Aurochs|
|Honey-Mazed Bear||1 x Honey-Mazed Bear||none||16||Ealing Gardens +|
30 x Trophy +
|Pinewood Shark|| 1 x Remains +
2 x Fin Bones +
1 x Favours: The Docks +
6 x An Estimable Trophy
|none||18||Capture the Honey-Mazed Bear +|
Parabolan Defences +
There are also several Parabolan hunts towards the end of Ambition: Bag a Legend!. However, these are one time events that are pursued to advance the story.
Each time a Parabolan quarry is defeated, the player will gain 1 x Dream-Trophies of Parabola. In addition, both the Honey-Mazed Bear and the Pinewood Shark give 6 x An Estimable Trophy that is the key to raising Defender of the Public Safety (although the bear only gives this when returned to Ealing Gardens).
Sequence of actions
Upon starting a hunt, the player gets Lost in Strange Lands. They have to succeed on a hard Dangerous challenge to pick up the trail of their quarry. See the Tracking Difficulty-section below for details.
Succeeding on that challenge allows to choose how to proceed:
- find the quarry's lair
- trick the quarry into a chase
- bait the quarry (only for the Albatross and the Bear!)
- wound the quarry (only as a Monster-Hunter!)
- abandon the hunt
Finding the quarry's lair will require succeeding on another challenge in Strange Lands (with the same difficulty as on the success before!). For select animals, finding the lair will allow the player to search it and find interesting items (see table) at the cost of not confronting the quarry.
Tricking the quarry requires Nightmares 5 and will instantly start the final confrontation.
Baiting the quarry will also force a confrontation, but at the cost of a few resources. No specific Nightmare-level is required and the Ferocity of the quarry will be reduced by 5, making the confrontation notably easier.
Monster-Hunters can also wound the quarry at this stage already and significantly reduces its Ferocity.
Abandoning the hunt while Lost in Strange Lands will raise the player's Glasswork-skill and gives a small chance of finding a Thorned Ribcage. Abandoning the hunt while considering your options does not have these perks but will instead only return the player to their Base-Camp. It is therefore not recommended to do this.
Details on the confrontation with the quarry are outlined below.
The difficulty of the hunt is indicated by the level of Parabolan Ferocity set depending on the type of animal that is hunted. Tracking the quarry is performed via a Dangerous-challenge with a difficulty of
180 + 20 * ( Parabolan Ferocity - Parabolan Scouting)
Failing to navigate the terrain will automatically give 2 x Parabolan Scouting, but also increase Nightmares. So even without actively reducing the difficulty of the hunt, the challenge will become gradually easier. (Note, however, that upon reaching Nightmares 8, a menace card will autofire!)
The possible options to actively lower the difficulty of the hunt include:
- An increasingly difficult Glasswork-challenge that gives 10 x Parabolan Scouting
- An increasingly difficult Kataleptic Toxicology-challenge that gives 10 x Parabolan Scouting, if you happen to have an Acicular Squirrel
- Trading various dream-qualities for 10 x Parabolan Scouting. The options to do this are luck-based and depends on specific ranges of Airs of Parabola.
- Trading 2 x Favours: Fingerkings for 6 x Parabolan Scouting. Favours can be acquired at the Dome of Scales, another Parabolan destination.
- Trading 1 x Glass Gazette for 8 x Parabolan Scouting. Gazettes can be researched in the University Lab.
If the player plans to apply multiple means of decreasing the difficulty of the hunt, it is recommended to first use their Glasswork-knowledge, as the challenge on this option will otherwise become too difficult to succeed.
Once the player has found the lair of their quarry, tricked it, or set bait, they can confront their quarry. The possible options at this point are:
- Fleeing (not recommended unless Wounds will reach 8 upon failing, which will trigger a menace card)
- Ambushing the quarry: This will raise the player's Monstrous Anatomy and will reduce the quarry's Ferocity on success and give Wounds on failure.
- Defeating the quarry (either capturing or killing it): gives the main reward of the hunt (see table) as well as notable qualities. Failure will allow a retry at the cost of Wounds.
Both fleeing and defeating the quarry will redirect the player back to their Parabolan Base-Camp.