The Hurlers (Guide)
This page contains details about Fallen London Actions.
While it's convenient to relate to the separate actions in The Hurlers as separate areas, they are technically just a web of interconnected storylets. The map to the right shows how these storylets are connected. Be warned that not all of these connections are obvious at first, and some require investments to be usable.
Eventually, in order to reach Discordant Studies, you must pass the following requirements:
- A Scholar of the Correspondence 15, higher is an advantage
- Breaking the Ice 4 (See Digging in the Hurlers (Guide))
- 3000 x Drop of Prisoner's Honey (get some hundred extra, just in case)
- 1 x Crystallised Euphoria
- 1 x Memory of Discordance
- 10 x Rumours of the Upper River
- Route: The Cave of the Nadir
- Hurlers Lavatory Development (Optional - provides fast returns from Parabola)
In order to unlock Crystalline Knowledge, you will only need a point of Steward of the Discordance, but it's worth increasing it to 3 to improve the efficiency. You may have received this already, otherwise consider asking people on Discord etc. for a Discordant Missive, and read them until you reach Steward 3.
In order to speed up some later points, continue by making your way to Desolation, approach the Hurlers and count both the circles there. It may be a good idea to re-count if you mis-count 2 or less on the circles in order to boost your luck when playing cards later.
To continue past this point you need to get more familiar with the Hurlers, by increasing your Cold Comfort. Return to Desolation and try to find your way to the Adulterine Ruins. Speak to the Steward. After spending Rumours of the Upper River, she will require you to check out the Hurlers themselves - that is the standing stones after which The Hurlers is named, but you've already done that. This should bring you up to Cold Comfort 2.
For Cold Comfort 3 you also need to play games with the Steward. This requires Crystallised Curio. Check Digging in the Hurlers (Guide) for a guide on getting these. After playing a few card games, discuss the Hurlers. For Cold Comfort 4 you will need Breaking the Ice at 4 or above in order to continue by talking to the Steward. Play a few more card games and Discuss the Disembarked Deviless' research.
The next step requires you to visit The Adulterine Castle. Make your way to the frozen lake by passing through Desolation and find the options On the Ice. This would be a good time to bring a bit more than 3000 honey, as well as a Memory of Discordance and Crystallised Euphoria. Open your eyes and you will be transported.
Enter the courtyard and approach the Stewards beneath the Standing Stones. Don't talk about the game to increase Crystalline Knowledge to 4. Don't place a wager on the game (Hurling (Guide) might be helpful).
Return to the castle and Approach the Anchoress in order to increase Crystalline Knowledge to 5. In order to leave, Establish a route to your Parabolan Base-Camp from the Castle and leave through Parabola, back to The Hurlers.
Go to the Nadir and Rip out the Discordant Law and you're ready to start on the section mentioned in Discordant Studies - Costs and Rewards (Guide).
Discordant Laws Analysis
There are three potential Discordant Laws. Someone Following You, Frozen Thoughts and Another Mouth. You get one of them depending on which circle was winning when hurling, or whether there was a stalemate.
As can be seen in the table below, there's no clear winners when it comes to which law is best. There are some things worth considering, however:
- Another Mouth gives the most menaces, but also gives a good spread of those.
- Someone Following You gives the least menaces, and suspicion can dealt with in several ways.
- Someone Following You gives Comprehensive Bribes, which are somewhat hard to grind.
- Another Mouth gives Unlawful Devices, which can be sold at the rat market and thus boost your reward.
- Frozen Thoughts gives Bottle of Greyfields 1868 First Sporing.
- Frozen Thoughts gives the most valuable items, which can be boosted by not having any of the items that are occasionally lost.
- Another Mouth has no cards that removes items.
|Someone Following You||Frozen Thoughts||Another Mouth|
|Requirement when hurling||1st circle win||2nd circle win||Tie the game|
|Special items||Unlawful Device|
|Alternate currencies||8||8||25 / 850|
- Assumes you draw one of each card
- Items that will be slowly lost if you have them
- Items with limited sources
- These rewards are included in "Total Value," they are not additional.
- Certifiable Scrap valued at 50p
- Warm amber valued at 10p