The places that are found in the Hinterlands next to the Upper River as the player character develops the Great Hellbound Railway.
Unlocked with Involved in a Railway Venture
The Upper River Exchange replaces the Bazaar as the trade interface in these locations.
- Card deck: Upper River locations use a different base deck from London locations
- Cards that are unique to certain Upper River locations are retained after having gone to other Upper River locations.
- If you leave any of these locations and come back later to any of them, you will start with all the cards that were in your hand when you left, except the cards whose unlock requirements that you no longer satisfy.
The locations next to the Upper River are unlocked in the following order, and can be accessed through a storylet in Moloch Street while in London.
- Ealing Gardens: the first to be unlocked. Home for most Rubbery people.
- Jericho Locks: the second. Home for those who work the canals in the Upper River.
- The Magistracy of the Evenlode: the third. The furthest reach of the law of London, and remnants of the First City.
- Balmoral: the fourth. The Empress's Scottish holding taken down during the Fall.
- Station VIII: A lonely factory extracting emotions in chemical form resides here.
- Burrow-Infra-Mump: Seemingly in the middle of nowhere - until someone decides to build a church here.
- Moulin: A quiet hamlet on the edges of one of the battlefields in Hell.
- The Hurlers: A frozen and dark wasteland.
- Marigold Station: By the walls of Hell.
The consequences for accumulating too much of any Menace at any Upper River locations are the same as London-proper. However, some things are different:
- Is he here too? Even here?: This card appears if you are accumulating too many Nightmares. The Manager of the Hotel does have interests along the Upper River.
- A maelstrom of scandal! (Hinterlands): In the case of accumulating too much Scandal, you get this auto-fire storylet.
- ARRESTED! (Upper River): You get this auto-fire storylet if you have accumulated too high Suspicion.