Port Cecil (Guide)
- Non-trivial strategies for ties for worm bones
- table overview of challenges and rewards during low tide
Route to Port Cecil
Having these will allow you to acquire Discovered: The Principles of Coral. There are currently two ways to obtain this:
- Get 8 x Partial Maps and assemble them from your inventory. (This loses the maps.)
- Set zail and look for the route yourself. In particular, that means you have to zail to the Stormbones and zail in that area until you draw the card A Coral Commotion. The easiest way is setting zail to Corpsecage Island and not dock there.
Once you draw the card, use it to find your route.
You still have to zail there, though!
Things you may wish to acquire before you set zail
Notably, Observe the comings and going of the gilled lamp-cats is also an early source of Silvered Cat's Claws, which you eventually need for a Tiger-Furred Oneiropompic Stave.
Mining for Scintillack
There are three phases to this carousel: High Tide, Low Tide, and the Perigee of Silver. The carousel takes a fixed number of actions (14), tracked by Tides of Port Cecil:. During the main part of the carousel, you may favor the Cats or the Miners. The pay-out at the Perigee depends on which faction is ahead, but not by how much. There is a unique pay-out for if they are tied, and a different option if neither faction has much progress.
While the pay-out from the Perigee is substantial, up to two-thirds of the material rewards are received during High and Low Tides. Maximizing value is fairly straightforward, but optimizing specific item pay-outs may require finesse.
- High Tide in The Poisoned Pawn
- Lasts for 6 actions. Every option gives +3 CP to either Receptivity of the Lamp-Cats or Miners' Preparations. The progress is the same for all options, on success or failure. These qualities are not directly tied to the final pay-out, but rather change progress gained from actions during Low Tide.
- Higher-difficulty options grant greater material rewards on success. Items are worth 2.00 for the easier, 3.00 for the harder Primary Stat challenge, and 3.20 for the Advanced Skill challenge. Of note, the Red Science miners' option pays in Scintillack, which may be sold directly for Hinterland Scrip.
- Low Tide in the Scintillack Pools
- Lasts for 7 actions. Options increase or decrease Feline Argentation and Iron & Misery Scintillack Extraction, with increases scaling based on your qualities from High Tide. The balance of these qualities determines the nature, but not value, of your rewards at Perigee.
- As before, options give material rewards roughly in-line with their difficulty, ranging between 2.00 - 3.00 per action.
- The Perigee of Silver
- Lasts for 1 action. Gives one item worth 12.50 and 3 items worth 2.50, with the exact rewards depending on whether Feline Argentation or Iron & Misery Scintillack Extraction was higher whilst the higher of the two was at least 3, if they were equal and both at least 3, or both less than 3.
|Travel back to port with the celebrating miners||Extraction > Argentation, Extraction at least 3||1 x Puzzle-Damask Scrap |
3 x Knob of Scintillack
|Bear witness to a lamp-cat ritual||Argentation > Extraction, Argentation at least 3||1 x Emetic Revelation |
3 x Extraordinary Implication
|Claim something that no-one was looking for||Extraction = Argentation, both at least 3||1 x Lost Research Assistant |
3 x Segmented Ribcage
|Meet with a bright and fading mind||Extraction < 3 and Argentation < 3||1 x Antique Mystery |
3 x Memory of a Much Lesser Self
If a player is capable of achieving 100% success on the most difficult actions, the return from this activity can be as high as 60.20 over 14 actions, for a total of 4.30 EPA. Taking the easiest options with a 100% success rate will give 46.00 over 14 actions, for a total of 3.29 EPA.
Strategy for a tie
If all you are looking for is a tie with both qualities at least 3:
- During High Tide, play 3 options each that raise Receptivity of the Lamp-Cats and Miners' Preparations. You should now be at level 3 (plus 3 CP) for both.
- During Low Tide, keep playing either Convince the miners and lamp-cats of their commonality, or Liberate some raw scintillack (you can also switch between the two options). In this case both of these options raise the progress of both factions by an equal amount, ensuring a tie.
There are more complex options if you want different resources from Low Tide. For example:
- During High Tide, play 6 options for the lamp-cats and none for the miners, which should give you 5 Receptivity and 0 Preparations.
- During Low Tide:
Since six of your actions are impeding the lamp-cats, this is a good way to earn Withered Tentacles and Silvered Cat's Claws, both of which have few grindable sources, on your way to getting Segmented Ribcages and Lost Research Assistants. Many other combinations are possible, but this is the one that provides the maximum amount of otherwise difficult to obtain items.
Strategy for a bright and fading mind
You will Meet with a bright and fading mind and unlock a special quality if you manage to get both factions below level 3, which just means that both need to have less than 6 CP of progress at the end. One way to achieve this is:
- During High Tide, use your actions exclusively for cats. This will leave you at 0 Preparations and 5 Receptivity. That means that
- During Low Tide, go (order is somewhat important here)
- against the cats 3 times. As they have no Argentation yet, it will simply increase Extraction to 3 total CP.
- against the miners to wipe their Extraction back to 0. This will raise Argentation to 6 CP.
- against the cats 2 times to wipe their 6 CP of progress. This will raise Extraction to 2 CP.
- against the cats again. This will make you end up with 3 CP for the miners and 0 CP for the cats.
Of course, you can swap cats and miners and their respective progress qualities in the above guide.
Note that you won't get to change your mind and pick the option that requires having more of one quality than the other.
- Needs verification for low-difficulty branches.