Certifiable Scraps (Guide)
So you have decided you need some Certifiable Scraps.
How to obtain Scraps
This section is roughly sorted from most profitable to least profitable.
3 Favours: Urchins can be traded for 25 Scraps at Trade favours with urchins, an Action from Call in favours in the Flit, a Storylet in The Flit. For sources of the Favours, see Category:Favours: Urchins Gain. Generally speaking, though, they are obtained either through luck in drawing cards at 1 Favour/action or through grinding at about 1 Favour for 5 actions (end-game).
Almost all Lodgings cards have an option that gains Certifiable Scraps.
- Discordant Ripples (Frozen) 6, an Autofire Card in Fallen London, must be unlocked in the Hurlers (see Guide), gives 10 scraps
- Chance of 5 scraps from Accept his gift (Scrounged Goods), an Action from Scrounged Goods, a Card in Far Beyond the Cordon (50% Luck challenge)
- Assist an out-of-work Gondolier, an Action from Canal Workers on the Upper River, a Card in Upper River, requires the Renown 25 item of Faction: The Docks and trades 1 x Favours: The Docks for 10 scraps.
- Release a bat into the cloud, an Action from A Parliament of Bats, a Card in Fallen London, can earn 3 scraps.
- FATE: A particular choice in A Trade in Faces unlocks an option in The Curt Relicker and Montgomery are Moving Quietly Past which gives 1-4 x Certifiable Scraps and -3 CP Suspicion.
- FATE: A particular decision in the final choice on The Blemmigan Affair (Story) adds an option for Court and Cell: the Constables giving 1-2 x Certifiable Scraps and up to ( Watchful/3) x Proscribed Material.
These stories are a one-time source of different amounts of scraps each.
- Your first time picking Identified with a School: earns 4 scraps.
- Befriending a Rooftop Urchin: 8-16 scraps, depending on your decisions.
- Advising the Loquacious Vicar: 8 scraps.
- Collecting Clues for the Clay Coalman: 8-14 scraps, depending on your decisions.
Because we believe in publishing negative results.
(And want to save you the time calculating those grinds on your own.)
Selling Drownie toys
You may be tempted to play Devices and Desires to get toys and sell them for scraps. However, this is not particularly worth it:
- you can only get one toy per trip
- the three basic toys require at least 5 actions each to get and sell for 5 scraps (≤ 1 scrap per action).
- the advanced toy requires the 3 basic toys plus another trip (20 actions total) and sells for 10 scraps, i.e. 0.5 scraps per action.
- Receive an offering from the Clay Highwayman, an Action from Under the Statue at the Magistracy, a Card in The Magistracy of the Evenlode, allows trading 2 Favours: Criminals for 1 scrap and a chance at a further scrap from the bundle.
- Set a Watch beside the Statue of Yourself, an Action from Under the Statue at the Magistracy, a Card in The Magistracy of the Evenlode, gives 3 scraps if you fail the challenge. To get on average 1 scrap per action, you need a success chance of at most 66% ( Dangerous ≤220).
Each Relicker card has three options. Each is a 50% Luck challenge.
- Recertify some scraps - either gain 5 scraps or lose 4
- Recertify an armful of scraps - either gain 10 scraps or lose 8
- Recertify a double-armful of scraps - either gain 20 scraps or lose 18
Generally speaking, the latter two seem to gain about 1 scrap per action on average, while still remaining a gamble. The first one gains 0.5 scraps per action on average.
Most importantly, scraps can be traded with Relickers for items. The table of rewards is below.
|25,||100/25 Soul||200/50 Silk Scrap||50/12 Proscribed Material||100/25 Primordial Shriek||~1.2|
|50,||80/20 Amanita Sherry||80/20 Surface-Silk Scrap||80/20 Inkling of Identity||80/20 Maniac's Prayer||~5-5.25|
|75,||42/10 Brilliant Soul||42/10 Whisper-Satin Scrap||42/10 Scrap of Incendiary Gossip||42/10 Correspondence Plaque||~13-14|
|100,||20/5 Muscaria Brandy||20/5 Thirsty Bombazine Scrap||20/5 An Identity Uncovered!||20/5 Aeolian Scream||~32|
|125||3 Brass Ring||3 Puzzle-Damask Scrap||3 Blackmail Material||3 Storm-Threnody||37.50|
|150||1 Bright Brass Skull||1 Parabola-Linen Scrap||1 Diary of the Dead||1 Night-Whisper||60 - 62.50|
|175||1 Coruscating Soul||1 Scrap of Ivory Organza||1 Intriguer's Compendium||1 Starstone Demark||312.50|
|200||1 Reported Location of a One-Time Prince of Hell||1 Veils-Velvet Scrap||1 Rumourmonger's Network||1 Breath of the Void||1560|
- 8 on success, 8.5 on rare success, 2 on failure
- 21 on success, 23.50 on rare, 5 on failure
- 50 on success, 62.50 on rare success, 12.50 on failure
What not to use scraps for
Unless you are very early in the game, by the time you manage to assemble the appropriate number of scraps, you will probably have cheaper means to obtain most items in the above table. Specifically, items up to tier 6 (the "160 Scraps" row on the table) have better sources. However, some of the tier 7 and tier 8 items in the game are almost exclusively only available for scraps, namely Veils-Velvet Scrap (unless you want to study the Discordance) and Breath of the Void (which can alternatively be obtained in Moulin), both of which are needed for the Treasures branch of London's Marrow.