Publishing a Newspaper (Guide)
Starting a newspaper
First, you will need the following to arrange space to house your newspaper's working space:
After reserving space, you will need to hire on various employees to write and edit articles. Hiring professionals will require items, while friends will require you to have relationships with specific characters.
|An Editor of Newspapers||Recruit your friends||Hire a professional|
|2||Intimate with a Revolutionary Firebrand 1||1 x Cellar of Wine|
|3||Corresponding Ocelot FATE||1 x Ornate Typewriter|
|4||Educating Lyme 1||1 x Strong-Backed Labour|
|5||Acquaintance: the Wry Functionary 3||1 x Comprehensive Bribe|
|6||An Intimate of Devils 5||1 x Portfolio of Souls|
Finally, you must give your newspaper a name, and decide why you created it in the first place.
Once you have your own newspaper (i.e. An Editor of Newspapers - at least 10), you can work on publishing a new edition. Start the process by going to Doubt Street and Get those blasted things running, which will give you 12 x Hour before the Deadline (it costs 1 x Whirring Contraption, which can be obtained in Wilmot's End by searching for a Missing Woman). See below for various options you can try at different levels of this quality. Based on the options, you'll start collecting 3 types of Copy: Meritorious, Outlandish, and Salacious.
Once Hour before the Deadline reaches 1, it's time to Start the presses! and choose the type of edition you want to print. The edition types available to you will depend on how many of each type of Copy you've managed to collect.
Each action here drops Hour before the Deadline by 1.
Research on a Morbid Fad
For acquiring all possible research, you need:
- 150 Watchful
- University Laboratory
- Your own stall at the Bone Market
- Debonair Palaeontologist or Buccaneering Palaeontologist
- The opportunity card A Public Lecture (requires access to the bone market)
All options in total provide 6 research with a potential reward of 98 Survey of the Neath's Bones. In addition, you will earn several bones.
In addition to the below rewards, all of the editions requiring 60 or 104 of a specific type of Copy (except the Expose of Paleontology) will give 1 CP to Defender of Truth -, Prophet of the Gutter -, or Cardinal of Conspiracy -.
While reading the table below, please note:
- Some Newspaper editions require specific qualities or companions to maximize the payout. If that is the case, two reward values are listed in the last column:
- The Min reward is the best result you can achieve without any of the required qualities or companions.
- The Max reward is the best result you can achieve if you unlocked all required qualities and companions.
- When calculating rewards that require Salacious Copy it is assumed that:
- At 4 x Hour before the Deadline we always use A column revealing certain facts about an acquaintance (the option costs 2.5E to use, but adds 6E to reward). Make sure you have 5 x Scrap of Incendiary Gossip and an acquaintance or an alt to slight.
- At 2 x Hour before the Deadline:
- EPA is calculated assuming 18.5 actions are required to make a newspaper (11 / 2 to earn one 1 x Whirring Contraption at Wilmot's End, 13 to print a newspaper).
|Requirements||Edition||Rewards||Echo Value / EPA|
|n/a||A rather poor edition||45 E / 2.432 EPA|
|A balanced edition|
|Publish a seditious edition|
|60 x Meritorious||An edition of edification and pleasing truth||Min: 50 E / 2.7 EPA
Max: 62 E / 3.351 EPA
|60 x Salacious||A gossipy and tantalising edition|
|60 x Outlandish||An edition brimming with entertaining nonsense||Min: 50 E / 2.7 EPA
Max: 62 E / 3.351 EPA
|104 x Meritorious||An edition brimming with truth and wisdom||69 E / 3.73 EPA|
|104 x Salacious||The tawdry secrets of the famous laid bare!|
|104 x Outlandish||The finest kind of madness||69 E / 3.73 EPA|
|Publish an Expose of Paleontology||Min: 46 x Surveys
Max: 98 x Surveys (with )
Max: 85 x Surveys (without )
- 1 action required to cash in the revolutionary favours is accounted for in EPA
- This edition is not achievable without late mid-game qualities
NOTE: Some options only available with certain story choices, such as one during Ambition: Heart's Desire! and during A Survivor of the Affair of the Box are not listed here. The seasonal Whitsun edition is also not listed.
|Publish an edition in Defence of the Railway||+20 CP MW| Mithridicy cap is raised to 6|
|Elaborate upon your Defence of the Railway|