On a Heist (Guide)
See On a Heist (Guide)/Cards for a breakdown of the cards you encounter during the heist
This Guide will cover the mechanics behind heists, which are available from the Plan a Heist area of The Flit. While on a heist, you draw from a unique deck of opportunity cards and attempt to raise The Burglar's Progress to at least 5 without reducing Cat-Like Tread to 0.
Heists are part of the A Name Whispered in Darkness section of the Making Your Name storyline, and are also a means of obtaining a variety of useful items, including some that are much more costly or difficult to obtain elsewhere.
Preparing for a heist involves choosing a target, raising Casing..., and purchasing advantages (optional). Depending on the heist, you might also want to equip items to boost certain stats, or have certain qualities.
Choose a target
You can choose from the available targets at Planning a Heist. Depending on the target, you'll encounter different levels of Target Security:.
- Shuttered: Cards contain Luck challenges and opportunities to use advantages. Experienced players may not need extra preparation.
- Triple-bolted: Some no-risk cards are replaced with Luck challenges. It's probably a good idea to bring some Inside Information for everyone, just in case.
- Well-Guarded: Additional replacement of cards with more difficult ones, including options with challenges above Shadowy 100. You'll probably want extra preparations.
- Perilous: More replacement cards, now with challenges requiring advanced (MAGCATS) skills. Don't do these heists unprepared.
Certain opportunity cards will only appear when the target is a particular security level. Additionally, some targets require Favours or other items in order to attempt. If you're after a specific reward, you'll also want to check the Loot section below.
|The House on Cubit Square||Shuttered|
|The offices of Baseborn & Fowlingpiece||Triple-Bolted|
|The Balustraded House in Elderwick||5 x Favours: Criminals||Triple-Bolted|
|The Circumspect Envoy's Townhouse||No Purloined Paperwork||Triple-Bolted|
|Making Your Name: the records office in Concord Square||A Name Whispered in Darkness exactly 5||Triple-Bolted|
|The home of an Admiral's Widow||3 x Favours: The Docks||Well-Guarded|
|The mansion of an Unsympathetic Landlord||Shadowy 100||Well-Guarded|
|The Museum of Prelapsarian History (Heist)||Well-Guarded|
|The townhouse of a Discerning Deviless||5 x Favours: Criminals||Perilous|
|The shaded estate on Hemlock Row|| Hiding Place of a Peculiar Item
Build up Casing
To embark on any heist, you need to build up Casing... to at least 5. Building up more Casing will enable you to purchase advantages, which can help you avoid failing the heist or unlock advantageous options.
There are a variety of ways to raise Casing under Preparing for a Big Score, but Casing you raise in other areas can also be applied here. Consult the Casing guide for a full list of sources.
Ideally, you don't want to build up more Casing than you need, as it will be reset when you start the heist. You only need 15 CP (required to start any heist) + however much you want to spend on advantages. Refer to the Casing guide to determine how best to get the amount of Casing you want without wasting actions.
Once you've raised Casing to 5, you can Begin the Heist, which gives you a chance to purchase various advantages. If purchasing any of these options causes your Casing to drop below 5, you'll need to raise it up again before you can actually embark on the heist.
- Purchase Escape Routes ( 10 CP Casing...): Lets you escape from the heist at any time without getting caught. It can also be spent on the card A Nosy Servant to make Burglar's Progress instead of risking a loss of Cat-Like Tread. You might want to purchase one of these the first time you embark on a heist, just in case.
- Purchase Inside Information ( 5 CP Casing...): Unlocks advantageous options on a number of cards. This is a good purchase, and should be enough to finish a job successfully unless you draw very unfortunately.
- Purchase a copy of an Intriguing Key ( 5 CP Casing...): Similar to Inside Information, but currently only useful on two cards—A Troublesome Lock (which also has the option to use Inside Information with the exact same result) and An Intricate Lock (Perilous heists only, and moot if you have the Glasswork 12 to 100% the other option). It's therefore generally more useful to purchase Inside Information instead.
When you're on a heist, you won't be able to change your outfit. Make sure you're equipped to handle the challenges in the heist you've chosen (by referring to the cards associated with that level of Target Security). Some general tips:
- For triple-bolted targets, you may want a modified Shadowy of at least 100. For Well-Guarded and Perilous targets, modified shadowy up to 200 is an advantage.
- If you have Dreaded equipment, this can be helpful on the card A Burly Night-Watchman (you'll need Dreaded 3 to attempt it, and Dreaded 10 to 100% the check). If you own an Untrained Lyrebird, you can deploy that instead (without needing it equipped), so there's no need to worry about your Dreaded.
- Having Connected: The Duchess 20 opens a good option on A Talkative Cat.
- Having an exit route unlocks a bad card, meaning it's not a good idea to get exit routes if you don't need them.
- On Perilous heists, The Sleeping... Dogs? card requires either Monstrous Anatomy 12 to 100%, or Shapeling Arts 8 and Inside Information.
- Also on Perilous heists, the card An Intricate Lock has an option to either use up an Intriguing Key, or attempt a Glasswork challenge (needing Glasswork 12 to 100%).
During the heist, you will need to raise The Burglar's Progress to 5 (or 7, if targeting Baseborn & Fowlingpiece and attempting Mr Baseborn's Papers), without losing all 3 of your initial Cat-Like Tread. You do this by drawing from a unique opportunity deck of non-discardible cards; consult that guide for a full list of available cards and some strategy tips for what to play when.
There are three ways a heist can end:
- Winning: After acquiring 5 Burglar's Progress, you will draw A Prize Achieved! with ubiquitous frequency. You usually need to draw around two cards until you get it. This and Fleeing will later send you to After the Burglary which removes heist-related qualities and items and gives Suspicion and Making Waves. Check the page for details.
- Fleeing: Either by using your Escape Route or certain options on cards, you can end the heist without loot but also without...
- Getting Caught: Without any points of Cat-Like Tread left all cards and storylets are disabled but one where you try to get Up and away! Here you will get 4 CP to Suspicion or instantly gain Suspicion 9 in an either way luck challenge. This usually means you would go to prison, but you can avoid this by having another player accept already sent requests to cover for you before clicking onwards, and optionally going into your inventory right from the result of the luck challenge and putting on some menace reducing gear. Imprisoned or not, you do not gain anything but infamy.
Options on A Prize Achieved! depend on what place you decided to burgle.
The records office in Concord Square
Once only, as part of A Name Whispered in Darkness
- ...the Constables' store of records: 50 CP Shadowy, 4 x An Identity Uncovered!, 4 x Sworn Statement
The House on Cubit Square
- ...Mr Leadbeater's Fortune: 20 CP Shadowy, plus: 1650 x Shard of Glim OR 1500 x Shard of Glim, 1 x Bottle of Broken Giant 1844 (50/50)
The offices of Baseborn & Fowlingpiece
- ...a Sealed Archive: 20 CP Shadowy, plus: 8 x Touching Love Story OR 1 x Searing Enigma (81.76%/18.24%)
- ...Mr Baseborn's Papers (requires 7 The Burglar's Progress): 20 CP Shadowy, 2 x Bazaar Permit, 100 x Cryptic Clue
Note: The estimated odds for a rare success at the Sealed Archive have changed. With the current odds of getting a Searing Enigma apparently around 18.24%, the Sealed Archive version of this heist is worth 27.752 on average: (8 x 2.50 x 0.8176) + (62.50 x 0.1824). This is closer to the value for Mr Baseborn's Papers ( 27) than it has been in the past; therefore, the Sealed Archive is likely to have a better EPA (as it requires less Burglar's Progress).
The Balustraded House in Elderwick
Both options yield 10 x 0.50 + 25 x 0.10 + 12.50 + 12.50 = 32.50.
|Keep her secret. It's only fair.|| 10 x Ostentatious Diamond|
25 x Surface-Silk Scrap
1 x Magnificent Diamond
1 x Puzzle-Damask Scrap
|Expose her|| 10 x Ostentatious Diamond|
25 x Surface-Silk Scrap
1 x Favour in High Places
1 x Puzzle-Damask Scrap
The Circumspect Envoy's Townhouse
Sets Purloined Paperwork quality to 1, 2, 3 or 4 depending on the chosen prize, which can be traded in at After a Heist: The Trade in Secrets for one of several varieties of items, each totaling 30 Echoes (or 27.5 Echoes and a Favour):
|Deliver to the Glass: any Paperwork|| 2 x Live Specimen|
1 x Puzzling Map
1 x Silent Soul
|Deliver to the Brass Embassy: Paperwork 1–3|| 6 x Muscaria Brandy|
1 x Brass Ring
1 x Favours: Hell
|Trade with the Ambassador: Paperwork 1 (scrolls about the Kingdom of Vesture)|| 2 x Vital Intelligence|
2 x Unprovenanced Artefact
|Trade with the Ambassador: Paperwork 2 (a series on the succession laws of Arbor)|| 1 x Favour in High Places|
1 x Magnificent Diamond
10 x Memory of Distant Shores
|Trade with the Ambassador: Paperwork 3 (the vellum book on the Rosers)|| 2 x Presbyterate Passphrase|
1 x Favour in High Places
1 x Vital Intelligence
|Trade with the Ambassador: Paperwork 4 (a set of wax tablets, inscribed with ancient treaties)|| 1 x Ancient Hunting Rifle|
1 x Antique Mystery
5 x Dubious Testimony
1 x Unprovenanced Artefact
The Vault of Impounded Contraband in Concord Square
- 100 x Cryptic Clue, sets Procuring Cantigaster Venom to 3
The home of an Admiral's Widow
One Justificande Coin is needed to Buy your way in to your own Lab (along with other requirements) at The University. Certain other endgame content requires them as well. The total sale value of the items for this heist, minus the coins, is 25.60 Echoes. This Heist requires 3 x Favours: The Docks.
- The Widow's Bedchamber: 1 x Stolen Correspondence, 3 x Justificande Coin, 2 x Legal Document, 5 x Map Scrap
The townhouse of a Discerning Deviless, where she keeps her souls
- The Deviless' Vitrine: Discordant Soul, sets Shadowy Gains to 6
The mansion of an Unsympathetic Landlord
- The Landlord's Safe: 340 x Fistful of Surface Currency, 1200 x Piece of Rostygold, 8-30 x Brilliant Soul, 35-70 CP Shadowy for a total of about 31.7
The hiding-place of a precious treasure
- A Treasure Uncovered: A choice between:
- 1 x False Hagiotoponym, 16 x Apostate's Psalm
- 1 x Captivating Ballad, 16 x Touching Love Story
- 1 x Fragment of the Tragedy Procedures, 16 x Sworn Statement
- 1 x Chimerical Archive, 16 x Nicatorean Relic
The Museum of Prelapsarian History
- ...the Archaeology Wing: 110 x Relic of the Fourth City, 60 x Relic of the Second City, 35 x Relic of the Third City, 2 x Unprovenanced Artefact For a total of 23
- ...the Osteology Wing: 5 x Obsidian Chitin Tail, 4 x Femur of a Jurassic Beast, 5 x Femur of a Surface Deer