Making Your Name (Guide)
During the early part of the game, the Making Your Name stories are the main way you'll progress through the story, raise your attributes, and unlock new locations.
Why should I care about making my name?
The Making Your Name stories guide you through the early-game content, introducing you to basic game mechanics (such as attribute-based challenges and acquiring items) while also telling a story. Many of the characters and events you first encounter while Making Your Name will reappear later. The Making your Name stories also unlock many important opportunities, such as the laboratory (and by extension, the railway), and Tribute at the Court of the Wakeful eye.
These stories also help you raise your main attributes by setting challenges whose difficulty generally matches your current level. The conclusions of major stages of the stories generally come with a bigger CP boost. Combined with the training professions, the Making Your Name stories will get you much of the way to raising each main attribute to 100 and becoming A Person of Some Importance.
Finally, by following these stories, you'll progress across the map—each one begins in one of the starting locations, and eventually leads you to other related locations.
- A Name in Seven Secret Alphabets is primarily Watchful. It begins in Ladybones Road and leads to Mrs Plenty's Carnival, Moloch Street, The Clay Quarters, The Forgotten Quarter, and The University.
- A Name Whispered in Darkness is primarily Shadowy. It begins in Spite and leads to Area-Diving in Spite, The Flit, and optionally Mahogany Hall.
- A Name Scrawled in Blood is primarily Dangerous. It begins in Watchmaker's Hill and leads to the Dept. of Menace Eradication, Wolfstack Docks, and The Labyrinth of Tigers.
- A Name Signed with a Flourish is primarily Persuasive. It begins in Veilgarden and leads to The Shuttered Palace and The Empress' Court.
Each of the Making Your Name stories has 7 stages, and the conclusion of each stage raises the level of that quality by 1. You can check your progress by looking for the relevant A Name... quality on your Myself tab, under Stories.
A Name in Seven Secret Alphabets
Hone your Watchful abilities by doing detective work, spying, pursuing expeditions, and engaging in arcane scholarship.
The Case of the Honey-Addled Detective
Start: Making Your Name: The Case of the Honey-Addled Detective in Ladybones Road To begin making your name as a detective in London, you'll first need to establish some contacts. That's why your first case will be to track down the Honey-Addled Detective.
- Pursue Your Current Case to raise Detective's Progress.
- You can also spend Favours on Faction cards to increase Detective's Progress; look for options that begin with "Solving a case".
- Once Detective's Progress reaches 10, you can close the case.
Find a Tattooed Courier's Contact
|A player-created Guide is available for this content: Seeking (Guide)|
Start: Making Your Name: Find a Tattooed Courier's contact in Ladybones Road
Your next venture is assisting the Constables, who suspect something sinister regarding the tattoos coming out of Clathermont's Tattoo Parlor.
- Raise Seeking... by following your target or searching their belongings.
- With Seeking 5, you can progress to the next step, raising Surveillance Contract: Find a Tattooed Messenger's contact to 2.
- Repeat the process: raise Seeking to 5 again the same way, then spend it on the new storylet on Ladybones Road.
- Once you get Surveillance Contract to 4, you can head to Mrs Plenty's Carnival and decide how to close the case.
The Case of the Absconding Devil
Start: Working with the Honey-Addled Detective in Moloch Street. Choose the option Making Your Name: The Case of the Absconding Devil.
A Devil is missing from The Brass Embassy, and the Honey-Addled Detective is on the case. He wants your help.
- Gain Detective's Progress using Pursue Your Current Case (or other options, such as Faction Cards).
- With at least 12 Detective's Progress, you can spend this progress under Missing Person: Find an Absconding Devil to increase Evidence in the Case of the Absconding Devil. (There is also an option to spend Rostygold for this.)
- Once Evidence reaches 4, you can Arrange a meeting with the singer.
- Decide how to close the case.
While on this case, you have a complication in the form of a Surly Goat-Demon, which appears in your Opportunity cards. Confronting it can either increase or decrease your Detective's Progress, along with other effects.
The Disappearing Heiress
Start: Life on Ladybones Road in Ladybones Road. Choose the option Making Your Name – Begin a Case: the Disappearing Heiress.
The Comtessa has disappeared with a quantity of her father's money. He wants you to get it — er, and her, of course — back.
- Increase Detective's Progress via storylets or cards.
- When Detective's Progress reaches 10, the option A development: the Disappearing Heiress appears.
- With each development, you get an increase Evidence in the Case of the Missing Heiress.
- At Evidence 3, you'll gain the quality A Visitor to the Clay Quarters if you don't already have it.
- With Evidence 4, the conclusion of the case takes place in The Clay Quarters.
A Raid on the Brass Embassy
Start: Making Your Name: A Raid on the Brass Embassy! in Ladybones Road
Choose whether to side with the Constables or the Devils. Concluding this part unlocks the location The Forgotten Quarter.
Nevercold Brass Slivers can be gained on the Night Watch at the Brass Embassy Warehouse storylet, Souls can be gained with Track down a Spirifer and Cryptic Clues can be gained with Scrutinise Infernal Contracts.
The Tomb of the Seven
Start: Set Up Camp in The Forgotten Quarter
|A player-created Guide is available for this content: Forgotten Quarter Expeditions (Guide)|
You've found clues indicating something intriguing buried in The Forgotten Quarter. Time for a crash course in Archaeology.
Your ultimate goal here is to make a successful expedition to The Tomb of the Seven and recover the Set of Correspondence Stones. Doing so will make you A Scholar of the Correspondence and unlock The University.
In order to even attempt the expedition to the Tomb, you have to build up your Archaeologist quality to 3 by completing other expeditions.
- First, Set Up Camp in the Forgotten Quarter, which gives you access to a Base-Camp.
- Learn the Traditions of the Forgotten Quarter at your Base-Camp.
- Complete the easier expeditions: Seek a thieves' cache and Seek a shrine of the Deep Blue Heaven.
- Once you reach Archaeologist 3, the one-time expedition the Tomb of the Seven is unlocked.
Concluding the expedition gets you the Stones, and playing the storylet The Secrets of the Stones gets your first level of SoTC and access to the University. You will also be Engaged in a Rivalry of Antiquities, allowing you to play an optional storylet involving the deviless Virginia. If you lose the Stones here and want them back (they'll be useful much later if you become a Correspondent), there is a card drawn in the University to reclaim them.
Tales of the University
Start: Making your Name: Invitations from the University, a storylet anywhere in London
|A player-created Guide is available for this content: Featuring in the Tales of the University (Guide)|
As a Scholar of the Correspondence, you've attracted the attention of both The University's colleges, the radical Benthic and the more traditional Summerset. Which one will you ally yourself with?
Your goal is to progress through the University storyline, increasing the quality Featuring in the Tales of the University up to 25, and concluding by solving a case.
Some notable points in this storyline:
- Featuring 5: The first Term Passing carousel unlocks. This provides options to grind various items and University connections.
- Featuring 6: First Term Passing carousel locks forever.
- Featuring 9: Second Term Passing carousel unlocks. This one is notable as a source for Sudden Insights (up to 21), which can be spent to raise Watchful a substantial amount.
- Featuring 24: Second Term Passing carousel locks.
- Featuring 25: Level needed to use Because you have secrets to advance towards becoming a PoSI. This is right before you Reveal the murderer.
- Revealing the murderer sets Featuring to 26 or 27, depending on whom you name, and one of the options results in your becoming Unwelcome at the University. Therefore, if you do not yet have a University Laboratory, you may want to establish one before you name the killer. Once you have a lab, you retain access to it even if you become Unwelcome; otherwise, you will be unable to acquire one until you Re-establish your academic reputation (only available once you have a ship and access to Scientific Voyages).
- You can re-open the second Term Passing carousel by choosing Could we postpone until tomorrow? instead of revealing the murderer. This is useful if you need Featuring 25 for Because you have secrets but still want to use the carousel afterward.
A Name Whispered in Darkness
Improve your Shadowy skills by uncovering secrets, committing burglaries, associating with urchins and thieves, and peering into a hidden world.
A Courier's Secret
Start: Making your Name: a Courier's Secret in Spite
It seems the anarchists of Fallen London are communicating through one of Spite's couriers. Intercepting their messages would be a good exercise of your Shadowy skills.
Build up your Shadowy until you can succeed at A Trove of Secrets. There are several ways to do this in the storylet The Alleys of Spite.
A Journalist and a Cat
Start: Making Your Name: the Next Step in Spite
You're starting to get the hang of this stealthy business. Time to see what else you can uncover in Spite. Investigate the Careworn Journalist, or catch a grey cat.
|A player-created Guide is available for this content: Casing (Guide)|
Start: Making Your Name: Area-Diving! in Spite
Find your way into one of Fallen London's finer homes via the staff entrance and liberate some valuables. Your goal is to complete an area-dive. For information on building up Casing..., refer to Casing (Guide).
Going Up in the World
Start: Making Your Name: Going Up in the World in The Flit
The Flit is the rooftop world of thieves, urchins, and the Topsy King, and it's time for you to learn the ropes.
To access The Flit, click the location on the map to open Enter the Flit. The route can be unlocked either by passing the Shadowy 50 challenge or by spending 1200 x Moon-Pearl.
You will also need to spend 1000 x Jade Fragments. These can be gained efficiently by stealing for the Widow in Spite. This will also get Connected: The Widow which probably will be useful at some point.
A Rash of Burglaries
|A player-created Guide is available for this content: Casing (Guide)|
Start: Making your Name: a Rash of Burglaries in The Flit
If you want to prove you're more than a common criminal, you need to pull off bigger robberies. Build Casing... and use it to rob various targets to raise Master Thief to level 5.
- To build Casing..., steal paintings for the Topsy King or prepare for a big score. (In general, Steal a painting from a noted gallery at Shadowy 75 is the better option, as it's nearly the same difficulty as Look for the targets with a greater payout in Casing per action.)
- Tip: If you're having difficulty passing the checks and keeping Suspicion down, go area-diving at Area-Diving in Spite and use the options there, which have lower challenge levels giving 1-3 CP of Casing... (Make sure you do not do the first dive when you're done, as this will reset Casing...).
- To raise Master Thief, spend your Casing on robberies. Note that each target (except the Bazaar) can only raise Master Thief up to a certain level, so you will have to attempt more challenging robberies to reach level 5. Using this table in the Casing Guide should help you plan which thefts to attempt, and how much Casing to raise for each.
The Records Office in Concord Square
|A player-created Guide is available for this content: On a Heist (Guide)|
Start: Planning a Heist in the Plan a Heist area of The Flit
You know where the Constables store their records, and there's bound to be some valuable information among all that paperwork. Successfully rob the records office in Concord Square.
Embroiled in the Wars of Illusion
|A player-created Guide is available for this content: Embroiled in the Wars of Illusion (Guide)|
Start: The Heights of Chicanery in The Flit
There's another world hidden in these shadows, but so far you've seen only glimpses of it. The bats and cats of The Flit know something about it, but will they tell you their secrets?
Your goal is to increase Embroiled in the Wars of Illusion (via rare successes on actions from The Heights of Chicanery) to discover the secrets of The Flit.
Note: You will reach A Name Whispered in Darkness 7 by completing the Bats and Cats section and reaching Embroiled 9, but the Wars of Illusion storyline continues from there and eventually leads to Mahogany Hall.
A Name Scrawled in Blood
Become more Dangerous by exterminating London's pests, hunting monsters, duelling, and capturing strange beasts.
A Worryingly Large Rat
|A player-created Guide is available for this content: Department of Menace Eradication (Guide)|
Start: Making your Name: the Contract in Watchmaker's Hill
There's talk of a rat in Watchmaker's Hill that's bigger than a rat has any business being. The Department of Menace Eradication is offering a sizable reward for bringing it in.
- Choose Visit the Department of Menace Eradication to unlock that location.
- There, find the storylet Making Your Name: A Contract for a Worryingly Large Rat
- Use the options in the Dept. of Menace Eradication storylet Hunting across London to reduce Quarry: Confounded Thing is Hiding to 0 and catch the rat.
- Once you've reduced Quarry to 0, you can choose the option You know where the Rat is lairing... which leads to the conclusion of the hunt.
An Infestation of Sorrow-Spiders
|A player-created Guide is available for this content: Running Battle (Guide)|
Start: The Department of Menace Eradication in The Dept. of Menace Eradication; choose the option Making Your Name! A Contract to Destroy an Infestation of Sorrow-Spiders
These aren't your garden-variety spiders. Slay them and bring back their legs as proof, and you'll have boosted your reputation as a monster-hunter — and probably saved a few eyeballs.
- Build up Running Battle... to at least 4 (though you'll have a higher chance of success on the hunt if you get it higher)
- Making Your Name: Turn in a sack of sorrow-spider legs
A Picnic on the Marsh's Edge
Start: Business on Watchmaker's Hill in Watchmaker's Hill
You just want to enjoy your picnic, but unfortunately so do these rats.
The Fighting Rings
Start: Making your Name: the Fighting Rings in Watchmaker's Hill
The duellist Feducci runs a series of fighting rings in Fallen London. If you can survive them, he's sure to take notice of you.
- Each ring requires a different item to buy in, beginning with 100 x Piece of Rostygold to enter the Ring of Meat.
- Earn 5 x Tale of Terror!! in the Ring of Meat to buy into the Ring of Roses.
- Repeat until you win 3 x Presbyterate Passphrase in the Ring of Roses so you can enter the Painted Ring.
- Win in the Painted Ring.
A Conspiracy of Spiders
Start: Making Your Name: a Conspiracy of Spiders in Wolfstack Docks
More spiders? Time to get to the bottom of this. Investigate the spiders in Wolfstack Docks and figure out where they're coming from and what to do about them.
- Investigate the Silken Chapel
- Brave the spiders' crypt
- Gather the supplies you need and Face the thing in the crypt
- Foxfire Candle Stubs can be gained by cashing out Favours: The Church in The Shuttered Palace. These can also be used to get Flask of Abominable Salts. Cryptic Clues can be gained from Favours: The Great Game at the docks, as well as many other sources.
- Decide how to deal with the Spider-Council
Duelling with the Black Ribbon
|A player-created Guide is available for this content: Running Battle (Guide)|
Start: Making your Name: a Letter from Feducci in Wolfstack Docks
Your fighting prowess has earned you the privilege of dueling the Black Ribbon. Defeating them will earn you great renown, and if you lose… well, your reputation won't much matter anymore. Raise Running Battle... in order to challenge progressively stronger Black Ribbon duellists, ultimately raising your A Fearsome Duellist quality to 5.
The bulk of your actions during this section will be spent raising Running Battle. This quality can be raised using the Airs-dependent options under Duelling with the Black Ribbon at The Blind Helmsman, which range in difficulty from Dangerous 74–84 and give +2–3 CP Running Battle per success, or any of the other sources listed in Running Battle (Guide).
Tip: If you're having difficulty passing the checks and keeping Wounds down, take a contract for Sorrow-Spiders at The Department of Menace Eradication and use the options there, which have lower challenge levels giving +1–2 CP of Running Battle. (Make sure you do not turn in your spider legs when you're done, as this will reset Running Battle.)
To challenge a Black Ribbon duellist, you'll need a certain level of Running Battle (and, for more difficult opponents, other requirements including A Fearsome Duellist levels). Success will reset Running Battle, while failing will cost some. Successful duels to the death award +1 CP of A Bringer of Death.
|Colonel Pommery||Friendly||5||8||+1 CP||2||—|
|To the death||5||12||+1 CP||2||—|
|Father Norton||Friendly||7||10||+2 CP||3||—|
|To the death||7||14||+2 CP||3||—|
|Mr Inch||Friendly||9||12||+3 CP||4||1|
|To the death||9||16||+3 CP||4||1|
|Captain Vendrick[D6 1]||Friendly||11||14||+4 CP||5||2, 2–4, <4|
|To the death||11||16||+5 CP||5||2, 5, <4,|
|Chi Lan[D6 2]||To the death||13||18||+5 CP||6||3, <3,|
|Cheat||13||—||+5 CP||6||3, <3,|
|Feducci[D6 3]||To the death||15||20||+7 CP||—||3, <2,|
To advance the storyline, you need 15 CP of A Fearsome Duellist in total. Taking Duellist level requirements into account, the fewest number of duels in which you can accomplish this is 4; for example:
- Father Norton (+2 CP), Mr Inch (+3 CP), Mr Inch again (+3 CP), and then Feducci (+7 CP)
- Father Norton (+2 CP), Mr Inch (+3 CP), Captain Vendrick to the death (+5 CP), Chi Lan (+5 CP)
Once you reach A Fearsome Duellist 5, the storylet A Gathering of the Black Ribbon autofires.
Acquiring Exhibits for the Labyrinth of Tigers
Start: Making your Name: a Proposition from an Acquaintance in Wolfstack Docks
|A player-created Guide is available for this content: The Hunt is On! (Guide)|
Mr Inch is in need of new creatures for his most unusual zoological exhibition. Raise The Hunt is On! to attempt to kill or capture the beasts Mr Inch sets you after, and gain access to the Labyrinth of Tigers.
Unlike the previous section, the progress quality here is unique to this story, so it can only be raised by Hunting Dangerous Prey in Wolfstack Docks. The challenges range from Dangerous 86–96 and give 2 or 3 CP of THiO on success. The safest options are Observe your prey ( Dangerous 88, +2 THiO) and Stalk your prey subtly ( Dangerous 94, +3 THiO), as failing these only gives Wounds +1 CP and no loss of THiO.
Much like the Black Ribbon duels, you have a choice of targets here for progressing A Procurer of Savage Beasts, each of which involves challenges based on THiO and awards CP of APoSB, up to a certain cap. The storylet for each hunt will only appear if you have the required level of THiO. Most hunts pay in Primordial Shrieks, in amounts increasing with the difficulty; exceptions are the Safari (which pays in Jade) and the Snuffer (which pays in Rostygold).
|Safari, Wolfstack Docks||Lead||5||12||+2 CP||3|
|Fungus-column, Watchmaker's Hill||Kill||5||8||+1 CP||2||1|
|Marsh-wolves, Watchmaker's Hill||Kill||7||10||+2 CP||2||1|
|Rattus Faber brigands, Spite||Kill||9||12||+2 CP||3||1|
|Goat demon, The Flit||Kill||11||14||+4 CP||5||2|
|Magician, Veilgarden||Capture||13||18||+5 CP||6||3, Goggles|
|Snuffer, Veilgarden||Kill||13||18||+5 CP||6||3|
|Spider-council, Wolfstack Docks||Capture||15||20||+7 CP||—||3|
Once you reach APoSB 5, the storylet A letter from Mr Inch autofires, giving you access to The Labyrinth of Tigers. Here, you only need to find Mr Inch and meet with him to achieve A Name Scrawled in Blood 7.
To continue exploring the Labyrinth, consult Making Progress in the Labyrinth of Tigers and Breeding Monsters (Guide).
A Name Signed with a Flourish
Cultivate your Persuasive talents by writing poetry, pursuing inspiring relationships, mixing in high society, and becoming known in the Empress' Court.
A Commissioned Epic
|A player-created Guide is available for this content: Inspired (Guide)|
Start: Make Your Name: A Commissioned Epic in The Singing Mandrake
Inspiration can be found in the commonest of subjects, and there's hardly anything more common in Fallen London than mushrooms.
- Increase Inspired... using the options Celebrate Fungus in Verse: Make up the details and Celebrate Fungus in Verse: Field work!
- Decide whether to write an honest effort or a satire!
A Notable Relationship
|A player-created Guide is available for this content: Fascinating (Guide)|
Start: Making Your Name: Pursue in a Notable Relationship in Veilgarden
In the literary world of Veilgarden, your personal life commands as much interest as your work. Who will you pursue a much-talked-about relationship with?
- Choose whether to pursue The Honey-Sipping Heiress, The Honey-Sipping Jewel Thief, or a Cloistered Diatomist.
- Increase Fascinating... to progress each stage of the relationship.
Writing a Short Story
|A player-created Guide is available for this content: Short Stories (Guide)|
Start: Making Your Name: Writing a Short Story in Veilgarden
You've been in Fallen London for a while now; you're bound to have some exhilarating experiences to write about. Get Manuscript Page to at least 10, and Potential to 30, to access the option Make Your Name: Publish your story. For information on writing short stories, refer to Short Stories (Guide).
Note: any Potential beyond 30 will be wasted here, since the only publication option you get the first time around is Make Your Name: Publish your story. You can try for a higher-quality story only after completing this one.
The Ambassador's Ball
Start: Make Your Name: Getting to the Ball in Veilgarden
It's the place to make your big society debut.
Acquire the Favours: Society and other items needed to get to the Ambassador's Ball. You will also unlock the route to The Shuttered Palace.
Silk Scrap can be gained with The Seamstress' Favour. Scrap of Incendiary Gossip are typically hard to get at this level. You can get some through Playing with Soul and some opportunity cards. Other sources:
- Edit a book of meditations on the Anchoress (if you have a Vision of the Surface)
- Ask for advice with Dazed Raven Advisor
- Many of the Clandestine companions from Watchmaker's Hill give them on their opportunity cards.
An Audience with the Duchess
Start: Make Your Name: An Audience with the Duchess in The Shuttered Palace
Someone important (and delightfully controversial) has taken notice of you.
- Obtain an audience with the Duchess by fulfilling the requirements of one of the options in this storylet, all of which require Renown: Society 5 and Connected: The Duchess 5, among other things.
- Completing this will unlock the location The Empress' Court.
Where to get stuff:
- Jade Fragments can be gained from many storylets in the Palace, or by working with the widow in Spite.
- Rat on a String can be gained in The Flit and by stealing with criminals.
- Scrap of Incendiary Gossip is generally hard to gain directly.
- Renown: Society can be gained at Mrs Plenty's Carnival
- Connected: The Duchess Can be gained with Curry favour with the Duchess or other storylets in the Palace.
A Courtly Romance!
|A player-created Guide is available for this content: Fascinating (Guide)|
Start: Making Your Name: Engage in a Courtly Romance! in The Empress' Court
Your honeyed fling in Veilgarden was the talk of the town for a little while, but Fallen London society is eager for a real fairytale romance. Where better to pursue one than a palace?
Use Attend to Matters of Romance to raise your Fascinating... quality in order to romance either the Barbed Wit or the Acclaimed Beauty. You can also become friends with the Unattainable Fashion-Flies if you would rather avoid romance. The conclusion of any of these relationships will leave you with a Memento of Passion.
See Fascinating (Guide) for tips. Also consider combining this and the next step, as several of the works that are made give Fascinating....
Carving Out a Reputation at Court
|A player-created Guide is available for this content: Carving out a Reputation at Court (Guide)|
Start: A slow day in The Empress' Court
You've commanded the attention of the Court. Now what will you do with it?
Unlocked with: A Name Signed with a Flourish 6. (You can begin A slow day as soon as you can access the Court, but you can only continue past Carving out a Reputation at Court 4 once you've concluded your courtly romance.)
- Begin your creative era at Court on A slow day.
- What's your next work? allows you to choose what to work on. Major works (requiring Inspired... 34) give 2 CP of Reputation; minor works (Inspired 24) give 1 CP.
- Raise Inspired... to the target level until your work is complete. Choose how to complete it on the gold storylet that appears.
- Continue composing works until Carving out a Reputation at Court reaches 4.
- Called to the Office of the Veteran Privy Counsellor raises Reputation to 5.
- A weighty decision raises Reputatation to 6.
- Why are you doing this? begins work on your operatic masterpiece.
- Raise Inspired to 24 and proceed to The Grand Finale.
At the end of this story, you will be Banished from the Court and (temporarily) sent to Disgraced exile in the Tomb-Colonies.
Note: You may want to delay finishing this stage until you're A Person of Some Importance. The main benefit of being Banished is access to the location The Foreign Office, which requires PoSI status anyway. Furthermore, you can only become Restored to Her Enduring Majesty's Court via a relatively long process, also requiring you to be a PoSI. Finally, there are a number of storylets available at court (such as those for increasing Fascinating) that you may not want to give up until you have better sources for their rewards.