Making Your Name (Guide)
The Making Your Name stories begin in the starting locations: Ladybones Road, Spite, Watchmaker's Hill, and Veilgarden. Each one helps you raise the attribute associated with that location, and your progress in Making Your Name is tracked by a quality beginning with A Name..., which you can check on the Myself tab.
|Location||Attribute||Making Your Name|
|Ladybones Road||Watchful||A Name in Seven Secret Alphabets|
|Spite||Shadowy||A Name Whispered in Darkness|
|Watchmaker's Hill||Dangerous||A Name Scrawled in Blood|
|Veilgarden||Persuasive||A Name Signed with a Flourish|
As you progress along each story, the associated quality will increase, unlocking new storylets. The maximum value for each quality is 7.
Combined with the attribute boosts you get from the training professions, the Making Your Name stories will get you much of the way to raising each main attribute to 100 and becoming A Person of Some Importance.
A Name in Seven Secret Alphabets
This story begins in Ladybones Road and the associated Attribute is Watchful. It eventually unlocks the locations Mrs Plenty's Carnival, Moloch Street, The Clay Quarters, The Forgotten Quarter, and The University.
The Case of the Honey-Addled Detective
To start making your name as a detective in London, you'll first need to establish some contacts. That's why your first case will be to track down the Honey-Addled Detective.
Find a Tattooed Courier's Contact
Your next venture is assisting the Constables, who suspect something sinister regarding the tattoos coming out of Clathermont's Tattoo Parlor.
- Start: Making Your Name: Find a Tattooed Courier's contact in Ladybones Road
- Unlocked with A Name in Seven Secret Alphabets 1
Your goal is to raise Seeking... so you can attempt challenges to increase the quality Surveillance Contract: Find a Tattooed Messenger's contact. As that quality increases, new options are unlocked, allowing you to progress in the case. Once the Surveillance Contract quality reaches 4, you can proceed to Mrs Plenty's Carnival for the conclusion.
The Case of the Absconding Devil
A Devil is missing from The Brass Embassy, and the Honey-Addled Detective is on the case. He wants your help.
- Start: Working with the Honey-Addled Detective in Moloch Street. Choose the option Making Your Name: The Case of the Absconding Devil.
- Unlocked with A Name in Seven Secret Alphabets 2
Your goal is to raise Detective's Progress, which you will then spend to increase Evidence in the Case of the Absconding Devil. You will have different options for how to raise Detective's Progress as your Evidence quality increases.
You also have a complication in the form of a Surly Goat-Demon, which appears in your Opportunity cards. Confronting it can either increase or decrease your Detective's Progress, along with other effects.
The Disappearing Heiress
The Comtessa has disappeared with a quantity of her father's money. He wants you to get it — er, and her, of course — back.
- Start: Life on Ladybones Road in Ladybones Road. Choose the option Making Your Name – Begin a Case: the Disappearing Heiress.
- Unlocked with A Name in Seven Secret Alphabets 3
A Raid on the Brass Embassy
The Constables plan to raid a Devils' warehouse. You've done work for both, but this time you'll have to pick a side.
- Start: Making Your Name: A Raid on the Brass Embassy! in Ladybones Road
- Unlocked with A Name in Seven Secret Alphabets 4
Choose whether to side with the Constables or the Devils. Concluding this part unlocks the location The Forgotten Quarter.
The Tomb of the Seven
You've found clues indicating something intriguing buried in The Forgotten Quarter. Time for a crash course in Archaeology.
- Start: Making Your Name: the Tomb of the Seven in the Base-Camp area of The Forgotten Quarter
- Unlocked with A Name in Seven Secret Alphabets 5
Your ultimate goal here is to make a successful expedition to The Tomb of Seven and recover the Set of Correspondence Stones. Doing so will make you A Scholar of the Correspondence and unlock the location The University.
In order to even attempt the expedition to the Tomb, you have to build up your Archaeologist quality to 3. First, Learn the Traditions of the Forgotten Quarter, then complete the easier expeditions Seek a thieves' cache and Seek a shrine of the Deep Blue Heaven. Once you reach Archaeologist 3, the one-time expedition The Tomb of Seven is unlocked.
For tips on expeditions, refer to the guide to Forgotten Quarter Expeditions (Guide).
Tales of the University
As a Scholar of the Correspondence, you've attracted the attention of both The University's colleges, the radical Benthic and the more traditional Summerset. Which one will you ally yourself with?
- Start: Invitations from the University, a storylet anywhere in London
- Unlocked with A Name in Seven Secret Alphabets 6
Your goal is to progress through the University storyline, increasing the quality Featuring in the Tales of the University up to 25, and concluding by solving a case.
- For help with the University storyline, refer to Featuring in the Tales of the University (Guide)
A Name Whispered in Darkness
A Courier's Secret
It seems the anarchists of Fallen London are communicating through one of Spite's couriers. Intercepting their messages would be a good exercise of your Shadowy skills.
A Journalist and a Cat
You're starting to get the hang of this stealthy business. Time to see what else you can uncover in Spite.
Your goals are to investigate the Careworn Journalist and to catch a grey cat.
Find your way into one of Fallen London's finer homes via the staff entrance and liberate some valuables.
Your goal is to complete an area-dive.
Going Up in the World
The Flit is the rooftop world of thieves, urchins, and the Topsy King, and it's time for you to learn the ropes.
- Start: Making your Name: Going Up in the World in The Flit
- Unlocked with A Name Whispered in Darkness 3
A Rash of Burglaries
If you want to prove you're more than a common criminal, you need to pull off bigger robberies.
- Start: Making your Name: a Rash of Burglaries in The Flit
- Unlocked with A Name Whispered in Darkness 4
The Records Office in Concord Square
You know where the Constables store their records, and there's bound to be some valuable information among all that paperwork.
- Start: Planning a Heist in the Plan a Heist area of The Flit
- Unlocked with A Name Whispered in Darkness 5
Your goal is to successfully complete the heist Making Your Name: the records office in Concord Square.
You need Casing... of at least 5 to begin a heist. For additional Casing..., you can purchase advantages that will help you complete a heist successfully. During a heist, you draw Opportunity cards to take actions, with the goal of reaching The Burglar's Progress 5 without reducing Cat-Like Tread to 0.
Embroiled in the Wars of Illusion
There's another world hidden in these shadows, but so far you've seen only glimpses of it. The bats and cats of The Flit know something about it, but will they tell you their secrets?
Note: You will reach A Name Whispered in Darkness 7 by completing the Bats and Cats section and reaching Embroiled 9, but the Wars of Illusion storyline continues from there and eventually leads to Mahogany Hall.
Refer to Embroiled in the Wars of Illusion (Guide) for more detailed information on progressing this storyline.
A Name Scrawled in Blood
A Worryingly Large Rat
There's talk of a rat in Watchmaker's Hill that's bigger than a rat has any business being. The Department of Menace Eradication is offering a sizable reward for bringing it in.
An Infestation of Sorrow-Spiders
These aren't your garden-variety spiders. Slay them and bring back their legs as proof, and you'll have boosted your reputation as a monster-hunter — and probably saved a few eyeballs.
- Start: The Department of Menace Eradication in The Dept. of Menace Eradication; choose the option Make your name! Contract: destroy an infestation of sorrow-spiders
- Unlocked with: A Name Scrawled in Blood 1
A Picnic on the Marsh's Edge
You just want to enjoy your picnic, but unfortunately so do these rats.
Your goal is to ward off an infestation of rats that first spoils your picnic and then takes up residence closer to home.
The Fighting Rings
The duellist Feducci runs a series of fighting rings in Fallen London. If you can survive them, he's sure to take notice of you.
- Start: Making your Name: the Fighting Rings in Watchmaker's Hill
- Unlocked with: A Name Scrawled in Blood 3
Your goal is to advance through the fighting rings and win in The Painted Ring.
A Conspiracy of Spiders
More spiders? Time to get to the bottom of this.
- Start: Making your Name: a Conspiracy of Spiders in Wolfstack Docks
- Unlocked with: A Name Scrawled in Blood 4
Your goal is to investigate the spiders in Wolfstack Docks and figure out where they're coming from and what to do about them.
Duelling with the Black Ribbon
Your fighting prowess has earned you the privilege of dueling the Black Ribbon. Defeating them will earn you great renown, and if you lose… well, your reputation won't much matter anymore.
- Start: Making your Name: a Letter from Feducci in Wolfstack Docks
- Unlocked with: Arachnologist 3 ( A Name Scrawled in Blood will be set to 5 by whatever option you choose in responding to the letter)
Acquiring Exhibits for the Labyrinth of Tigers
Mr. Inch is in need of new creatures for his most unusual zoological exhibition.
- Start: Making your Name: a Proposition from an Acquaintance in Wolfstack Docks
- Unlocked with: A Name Scrawled in Blood 6
Your goal is to raise The Hunt is On! so you can attempt to kill or capture the exhibits Mr. Inch wants and raise A Procurer of Savage Beasts to 5. This will unlock the location The Labyrinth of Tigers. You will then need to find Mr Inch in the Labyrinth, which will ultimately set A Name Scrawled in Blood to 7.
Refer to The Hunt is On! (Guide) for information on acquiring exhibits for the Labyrinth of Tigers.
A Name Signed with a Flourish
A Commissioned Epic
Inspiration can be found in the commonest of subjects, and there's hardly anything more common in Fallen London than mushrooms.
Your goal is to increase Inspired... so you can write a poem about fungus. You can raise this quality using the options Celebrate Fungus in Verse: Make up the details and Celebrate Fungus in Verse: Field work!
A Notable Affair
In the literary world of Veilgarden, your personal life commands as much interest as your work. Who will you pursue a much-talked-about romance with?
- Start: Making Your Name: Engage in a Notable Affair in Veilgarden
- Unlocked with: A Name Signed with a Flourish 1
Your goal is to increase Fascinating... to pursue either The Honey-Sipping Heiress or The Honey-Sipping Jewel Thief.
Writing a Short Story
You've been in Fallen London for a while now; you're bound to have some exhilarating experiences to write about.
- Start: Making Your Name: Writing a Short Story in Veilgarden
- Unlocked with: A Name Signed with a Flourish 2
Note: any Potential beyond 30 will be wasted here, since the only publication option you get the first time around is Make Your Name: Publish your story. You can try for a higher-quality story only after completing this one.
For information on writing short stories, refer to Short Stories (Guide).
The Ambassador's Ball
It's the place to make your big society debut.
- Start: Make Your Name: Getting to the Ball in Veilgarden
- Unlocked with: A Name Signed with a Flourish 3
An Audience with the Duchess
Someone important (and delightfully controversial) has taken notice of you.
- Start: Make Your Name: An Audience with the Duchess in The Shuttered Palace
- Unlocked with: A Name Signed with a Flourish 4
Your goal is to obtain an audience with the Duchess by fulfilling the requirements of one of the options in this storylet, all of which require Renown: Society 5 and Connected: The Duchess 5, among other things. Completing this will unlock the location The Empress' Court.
A Courtly Romance!
Your honeyed fling in Veilgarden was the talk of the town for a little while, but Fallen London society is eager for a real fairytale romance. Where better to pursue one than a palace?
- Start: Making Your Name: Engage in a Courtly Romance! in The Empress' Court
- Unlocked with: A Name Signed with a Flourish 5
Carving Out a Reputation at Court
You've commanded the attention of the Court. Now what will you do with it?
- Start: A slow day in The Empress' Court
- Unlocked with: A Name Signed with a Flourish 6 (You can begin A slow day as soon as you can access the Court, but you can only continue to Why are you doing this? once A Name Signed with a Flourish is 6.)
Your goal is to increase Carving out a Reputation at Court to 6, whereupon you will be asked Why are you doing this? and begin an Opera. Then raise Inspired... to 24 and proceed to The Grand Finale, which will ultimately set A Name Signed with a Flourish to 7.
Note: At the end of this story, you will be Banished from the Court and (temporarily) sent to Disgraced exile in the Tomb-Colonies. Since you can only restore yourself to the Court via a relatively long process once you're A Person of Some Importance, and the main benefit of being Banished is to access the location The Foreign Office (which also requires PoSI status), it may be a good idea to avoid completing this until you're a PoSI.