A Kitchen for Artists (Guide)
Before you Start
The first step is naturally reaching and building Station VIII. Once there, you will have the option of building a canteen as part of The Business of Manufacture storyline. After you have built the canteen, the A Kitchen for Artists storylet becomes available. The canteen can be upgraded twice at the Offices of the Tracklayer's Union: Station VIII Branch to unlock more bases for advanced cookery. Note that you need to make 5 meals before the second upgrade.
Creating a meal is a simple affair:
- Create the base for the dish. This is the main option that depends on the upgrade level of your kitchen ( Passenger Dining Room at Station VIII), and sets the meal's initial value and Current Culinary Concoction, determining some end-uses for the dish.
- Optionally Enhance the dish with additional ingredients. At the time of writing, only Fish Based dishes can be enhanced with Enhance your Fish Broth with chunks of Deep-zee Catch.
- Develop the dish further, which adds value to the meal, and sets Current Culinary Concoction to a new value.
- Develop the dish even further, adding a great deal of value. At the time of writing, there is only one option in this category, Prepare a Curatorial Cocktail.
A dish is ready to serve at any level, making enhancing and developing the dish optional. There are two main reasons to develop your dish further; first to add Culinary Ingredient Value, which affects the reward you receive for serving or selling a dish, and secondly to attain a specific Current Culinary Concoction, which can unlock particular meal sales.
The bases you can create are limited by your Passenger Dining Room at Station VIII level.
|Sparkling Solacefruit Royale|
|Prepare a Curatorial Cocktail||36500||Kataleptic Toxicology 8|| 1 x Concentrate of Self
100 x Memory of Distant Shores
|Freeze the Solacefruit Champagne Royale into a sorbet||2500|| Persuasive 175
Kataleptic Toxicology 6
| 1 x Memory of Discordance
1 x Sudden Insight
There are several ways to use meals created in your kitchen:
These options aren't limited to a single meal, and have scaling rewards dependent on Culinary Ingredient Value
One option is always available regardless of what kind of meal you have made, and involves serving your masterpiece to the train passengers passing through Station VIII.
- Serve up the (dish) This is the probably the simplest use for a dish, and gives Hinterland Scrip equal to Value / 50, and a tip of Hinterland Scrip equal to your Train Luxuries, transforming value from the miscellany of items you use to create it into pure scrip.
This option can reduce your menaces based on Culinary Ingredient Value. The menace reduced is determined by the Current Culinary Concoction value of your meal, while the Culinary Ingredient Value determines the amount reduced.
- Dose yourself with (your dish) A Fish Broth based meal reduces Wounds
- Dose yourself with (your dish) 2 A Dark-Dewed Cherry based meal reduces Nightmares
Both reduce the appropriate menace by 4 CP + 1 CP per 125 Culinary Ingredient Value
So far, cooks have yet to invent a meal that can improve your standing in the eyes of others.
Exceptional Rose Companions
- Trade (your dish) to the Canny Costermonger gives Culinary Ingredient Value / 100 Solacefruit and Culinary Ingredient Value / 140 Dark-Dewed Cherry
- Supply Dr Schlomo with (your dish) will only take Parabolan Orange-apple based dishes, and gives Culinary Ingredient Value / 250 An Identity Uncovered!, as well as a tip of 5 x Hinterland Scrip
The Worker's Meal
If you find your Tracklayers' Displeasure getting too high for comfort, and figure giving your workers a jolly good snack will calm them down, this option is for you.
- Lay an astonishing feast for the Tracklayers is limited to fungal pâté based meals, and will decrease Tracklayers' Displeasure by Culinary Ingredient Value / 100 CP.
These options require an exact Current Culinary Concoction value, meaning a specific meal.
|Serve up a Culinary Tribute to the Sea of Spines||Culinary Tribute to the Sea of Spines|| 3 x Fitting in at Helicon House|
56 x Hinterland Scrip
+4 CP Inspired...
|Offer champagne for its Revels||Sparkling Solacefruit Royale|| 326 x Bottle of Morelways 1872|
5 x Hinterland Scrip
|Bid it to try the sorbet||Solacefruit Champagne Sorbet|| 66 x Bottle of Strangling Willow Absinthe|
328 x Bottle of Morelways 1872
5 x Hinterland Scrip
|Ply it with aspic dosed with its own drug||Envenomed Pickles Suspended in Venison Aspic, Dosed with Mr Spices' Private Drug|| 5 x Extraordinary Implication|
5 x Scrap of Incendiary Gossip
|Present it with the Curatorial Cocktail||Curatorial Cocktail|| +3 CP Connected: The Masters of the Bazaar|
1 x Bottle of Fourth City Airag: Year of the Tortoise
|Present Mr Fires with Flambéd Peppercap Pâté||A Tower of Fungal Pâté Flambé|| 1 x Bazaar Permit|
5 x Hinterland Scrip
- Transform yourself with Self-Reflective Tapenade of Parabolan Orange-Apple reduces each of your menaces by 1 CP. Not too useful.
- Transform yourself with Sour Pickle of Parabolan Orange-Apple and Vinegar gives Steadfast, Melancholy, and Austere
- Transform yourself with Orange-Apple Jam spiked with Muscaria Brandy gives Daring, Forceful, Ruthless, and Heartless
- Transform yourself with Marmalade of Parabolan Orange-Apple, Honey, and Roseate Attar gives Subtle, Magnanimous, and Hedonist
In addition, the highly expensive Curatorial Cocktail can result in...
- Dose yourself with the Curatorial Cocktail -4 CP Nightmares. Not worth it at all, I guess it is true that only a curator can properly appreciate this dish. Such as...
- Dose yourself with the Curatorial Cocktail Requires The Robe of Mr Cards. -?? CP Nightmares, -?? CP Wounds, Ruthless and Heartless gain, Magnanimous loss.
This table lists the rewards from the various options for selling your meal
|Storylet||Rewards||Division Factors||Restrictions / Additional Rewards|
|Serve up the (dish)||Hinterland Scrip||50||+ ( Train Luxuries) x Hinterland Scrip|
|Trade (your dish) to the Canny Costermonger|| Solacefruit
|Supply Dr Schlomo with (your dish)||An Identity Uncovered!||250||Orange-Apple Based|
5 x Hinterland Scrip
|Dose yourself with (your dish)||Wounds Reduction||125||Fish Based|
-4 CP Wounds
|Dose yourself with (your dish)||Nightmares Reduction||125||Cherry Based|
-4 CP Nightmares
|Lay an astonishing feast for the Tracklayers||Tracklayers' Displeasure Reduction||100||Fungus Based|
This table lists the resulting Hinterland Scrip from serving each meal with Serve up the (dish). Train Luxuries is assumed to be 0, but has an easy to calculate effect on the result. Fish Broth based meals can be given additional value with Enhance your Fish Broth with chunks of Deep-zee Catch, so you can get higher scrip using that option.
|Sharply Flavoured Pickle, As Yet Unpoisoned||750||15|
|Jet-Black Pickle Relish Dosed with Hillchanger Scorpion Venom||1250||25|
|Envenomed Pickles Suspended in Venison Aspic, Dosed with Mr Spices' Private Drug||1100||22|
|An Enticing Fungal Pâté||900||18|
|A Platter of Mixed Charcuterie||8650||173|
|A Tower of Fungal Pâté Flambé||1500||30|
|Vibrantly Peppery Fish Broth||850||17|
|Caducean Zzoup, with Gunpowder and Sickly Rose||2600||52|
|Shark Bouillabaisse with Croutons||2600||52|
|Culinary Tribute to the Sea of Spines||2750||55|
|Dark-Dewed Cherry Liqueur||710||14|
|Sparkling Solacefruit Royale||2960||59|
|Self-Reflective Tapenade of Parabolan Orange-Apple||2750||55|
|Sour Pickle of Parabolan Orange-Apple and Vinegar||3250||65|
|Orange-Apple Jam spiked with Muscaria Brandy||3250||65|
|Marmalade of Parabolan Orange-Apple, Honey, and Roseate Attar||3250||65|
|Solacefruit Champagne Sorbet||5460||109|
|Parabolan Taper-nut Cake||750||15|