An Intimate of Devils and Selling Your Soul (Guide)
This page contains details about Fallen London Actions.
This guide is a combination of two smaller guides. The first section involves An Intimate of Devils, an overview of the opportunity cards and the trick of FEAST OF THE ROSE. The second sections is a more generic guide to selling your soul.
An Intimate of Devils
An intimate of devils is a card based story which is usually the first way to reliably sell your soul. The story can only be completed once, either by selling your soul, or by manipulating your progress during FEAST OF THE ROSE.
The main way to start the story is to raise your Renown: Hell to 5, e.g from the Carnival. This will allow you to draw A devil's taken a shine to you. Note that many or even most of the actions will affect your quirks, if that's something you care about.
If your intention is to sell your soul, you should just play any cards that come your way. If your intention is to trick the devils into leaving you alone by manipulating your story quality, you should still play the cards, except the final offer cards at the end. Once you reach An Intimate of Devils 15, you should instead play Actually, you'll be meeting someone there, until you reach An intimate 18.
Part of the intent of playing this storyline will probably be to lock yourself out of it, as you may only sell your soul this way once, even if you recover it.
Selling your Soul
In addition to the story mentioned above, selling your soul can be done in several ways. It should be noted that your soul isn't very attractive if you have a Stain on Your Soul or if you're In Possession of a Peculiar Personal Enhancement -
Pros and cons of having a soul
Why would you want your soul, anyway?
- Several profitable Term Passing... Storylets at the University require you to have your soul if you haven't proceeded too far in the story.
- Having your soul is required for an option to increase Counting the Days.
- Having your soul is required for parts of Seeking Mr Eaten's Name. Furthermore, having lost a stained soul is problematic in the Forgotten Quarter.
- Being soulless adds a (bad) opportunity card in your deck (Where's my soul?).
- It opens up for you to sell it again!
Why would you want to stay Soulless?
- This stops you from drawing An Intimate of Devils cards.
- This opens up an option on A Gift from the Capering Relicker.
- During Christmas, it may allow you to improve your lodgings.
Actually selling your soul during An intimate of devils above requires you to fail a 90% luck check after playing a long series of opportunity cards, so unless you're desperately in need of Devilbone Dice, this probably won't be profitable. Both of these opportunities raise An Intimate of Devils to 20, preventing you from selling your soul repeatedly. This also prevents the initial opportunity card to show up, which may be what you wanted all along...
- During Christmas (requires Key to a Brass Embassy Guest Room):
- During Hallowmas:
- If you have completed A Trade in Souls, you will be able to draw a new City Vices card, allowing you to sell your soul for a far more profitable price. This opportunity does not appear if you have a remote lodging. Using this option, selling your soul becomes very profitable, and selling it as A Person of Some Importance - gains you a Fabulous Diamond
Regaining your soul
There are a few ways to regain your soul. You may either spend Fate on the Where's my soul? opportunity card, or you may start searching for bundles of oddities. Bundles with a value of exactly 200 contains your soul. See Bundle of Oddities (Guide) for a comprehensive list of these. For the highest chance of retrieving your soul, the option should have a max value of as close as possible to 200, without being lower than that.
Some particularly useful options: