Breeding Monsters (Guide)
Theological husbandry in the Labyrinth of Tigers. Unlocked with Making Progress in the Labyrinth of Tigers 16.
Catching the livestock
- A Somnolent Hyaena may be found in the In the Labyrinth of Tigers, Navigating Coil 2. You need 100 Drop of Prisoner's Honey and Nightmares 5 to catch it. (By the way, there is also a useful action on the Hyaena's storylet that reduces Nightmares.)
- Cost (If we add the cost of moving to and from the 4th coil):
- 5 actions, 100 Drop of Prisoner's Honey and 10 Cryptic Clues.
- You may encounter a Tomb-Lion in Disgraced exile in the Tomb-Colonies. Do make overtures when you meet this curious creature.
- Cost (Not taking into account getting out of exile):
- 1 action, 1 F.F. Gebrandt's Tincture of Vigour (1 E if bought from the Bazaar)
- Very hard to calculate. If travelling from London to London, it should be maybe 15 actions, but in theory it can be gained a lot more efficiently. Monster Hunters also get a bonus reward.
- The Rubbery Hound is Fate-locked and may be found in Flute Street. According to the Fate policy, only mechanical rewards regarding the Hound may be recorded on the wiki.
Ways to breed, and the results
You can work at raising one, two, or all three of the following 3 Progress qualities to 6 in order to breed your beast. The different combinations will give different results for a total of 7 possible results from any one animal! For increasing The Hunt is On! one may also use options in Wolfstack Docks. Getting a progress quality to 6 takes 7 actions with 100% on the hardest options.
- Requires Taming the Beast
- Hyaena: 1050 x Primordial Shriek on a success; 700 on a failure.
- Tomb-Lion: 2000 x Foxfire Candle Stub on a success; 1300 on a failure.
- Plated Seal: 15 x Presbyterate Passphrase on a success; 11 on a failure.
- Rubbery Hound: 4400 x Foxfire Candle Stub on a success; 2900 on a failure.
- Requires Thwarting Beastly Devils
- Hyaena: 8 x Extraordinary Implication on a success; 6 on a failure
- Tomb-Lion: 8 x Extraordinary Implication on a success; 6 on a failure.
- Plated Seal: 3 x Antique Mystery on a success; 2 on a failure.
- Rubbery Hound: 4400 x Shard of Glim on a success; 2900 on a failure.
- Requires The Hunt is On!
- Hyaena: 2 x Carnival Ticket plus 42 x Bottle of Strangling Willow Absinthe on a success; 28x Absinthe on a failure.
- Tomb-Lion: 200 x Bottle of Morelways 1872 on a success; 130 on a failure.
- Plated Seal: 70 x Mystery of the Elder Continent on a success; 56 on a failure.
- Rubbery Hound: 4400 x Rat on a String on a success; 2900 on a failure.
- Hyaena: 310 x Surface-Silk Scrap on a success, 210 on a failure.
- Tomb-Lion: 300 x Phosphorescent Scarab on a success; 200 on a failure.
- Plated Seal: 4 x Puzzle-Damask Scrap on a success; 2 on a failure.
- Rubbery Hound: 5500 x Lump of Lamplighter Beeswax on a success; 3700 on a failure.
- Hyaena: 62 x Compromising Document on a success; 42 on a failure.
- Tomb-Lion: 60 x Memory of Light on a success; 40 on a failure.
- Plated Seal: 500 x Phosphorescent Scarab on a success; 300 on a failure.
- Rubbery Hound: 110 x Compromising Document on a success; 74 on a failure.
- Sabotage the process, for the benefit of devils (with all the beasts):
- Hyaena: 310 x Maniac's Prayer on a success; 210 on a failure.
- Tomb-Lion: 150 x Infernal Contract on a success; 100 on a failure.
- Plated Seal: 100 x Scrap of Incendiary Gossip on a success; 60 on a failure.
- Rubbery Hound: 110 x Journal of Infamy on a success; 74 on a failure.
- Requires all 3 qualities
- Hyaena: 80 x Memory of Distant Shores on a success; 55 on a failure.
- Tomb-Lion: 18 x An Identity Uncovered! on a success; 12 on a failure.
- Plated Seal: 1 x Hound of Heaven on success and failure alike.
- Rubbery Hound: 5 x Storm-Threnody on a success; 4 on a failure.
- Hounds of Heaven can be handed over for:
Should you have this Fate-locked item, some additional options will open to you. You will be able to breed 4 new beasts with their own opportunity cards. You will also need access to Flute street for one. Once all beasts are bred, you may breed a Bifurcated Owl with its own opportunity card, by using 500 pages of Cryptozoological Reasearch.
- Somnolent Hyaena breeds into Corresponding Ocelot
- Rubbery Hound breeds into Ocular Toadbeast
- Tomb-Lion breeds into Obdurate Stallion (NB: transport, not companion)
- Plated Seal breeds into Slavering Dream-Hound
- , , , , and 500 x Page of Cryptopalaeontological Notes breed into Bifurcated Owl