The London Horticultural Show (Guide)
Join the crowds drifting towards Watchmaker's Hill to see the botanical wonders of the Neath
The London Horticultural Show is London's summer festival in 2023. It commenced on July 31th and completed on August 21st.
- See The London Horticultural Show (historical) for a day to day recap of the events.
Currently active qualities
- The Coffers of the Horticultural Society is earned by buying Estival Tokens as well as the storylet to gain your 30 free ones.
- Estival Tokens are the currency used to purchase event items (see Estival item guide - in progress). All players receive 30 Tokens for free from the storylet Donate some old garden tools, and additional Tokens may be purchased with Fate at a 1:1 exchange rate, or sent to other players at the same cost. Unused Tokens will not disappear after the Show and can be used at next year's summer event.
- London, Falling indicates that the starved men have begun their attack.
- The State of the Emergency The state of emergency.
- Disposition of the Air Fleet is increased by playing actions in Station IX (Provisional) and lowered by Engage in a Reconnaissance Flight
- Aerial Surveillance is increased by Engage in a Reconnaissance Flight
Advancing the story-line up past soliciting for help will grant the following boon:
Several airships can be picked and applied as a boon:
Previously active qualities
- Growing Plants
- Pleads for assistance - Raise these by talking to the relevant groups.
- First Stage of the War
- Spreading the Word: Metamorphic Catalysts
- Spreading the Word: Stonefall
- Spreading the Word: Elastic Limits
- Spreading the Word: Pendulum Dreams
- Spreading the Word: Factional Forms
- Spreading the Word: Ecstasies of Change
- Spreading the Word: A Supply of Soldiers
- Spreading the Word: A Reassuring Weakness to Cannonfire
- Spreading the Word: A Dream of Dancing Lights
- Spreading the Word: Lithology
- Spreading the Word: Mortality
- Spreading the Word: Captivity
- Spreading the Word: Formless Faith
- Spreading the Word: Originator Arts
- Spreading the Word: Common Striving
- Spreading the Word: Lives Unlived
- Spreading the Word: Ways of Speaking
- Spreading the Word: The Shapes of Nature
- Spreading the Word: Castles in the Ceiling
- Spreading the Word: A Conscription of Stars
- Soliciting Allies
- London's Overtures: Khanate - Soliciting the Khanate for help
- London's Overtures: Polythreme - Soliciting Polythreme for help.
- London's Overtures: Godfall - Soliciting Godfall for help
- London's Overtures: Hell - Soliciting Hell for help
- London's Overtures: The Docks - Soliciting the dockers for help
- London's Overtures: Gaider's Mourn - Soliciting Pirates for help.
Formerly the University Cricket Field
At Station IX (Provisional), you can take actions to increase the Disposition of the Air Fleet. Some options cost resources, one costs a favour, and some just cost actions, but they all reward Service to London. They also all increase your Contributions to the Fleet, which allows you to Take on a Command at 10, unlocking Reconnaissance Flights.
|Option||Cost||Reward||Net Service||World Quality Changes||Requirements|
|Help the Admiralty Prepare||N/A||50-612 Service (Scaling)|
|Help the Horticultural Society donate an indispensable amount to the war effort||1 x The Coffers of the Horticultural Society||50-646 Service (Scaling)||-|
|Supply the Admiralty with provisions||1 x Crate of Incorruptible Biscuits||932 Service||692 Service|
|Provide the Admiralty with powder and ballast||1 x Perfumed Gunpowder||646 Service||396 Service|
|Call in favours from the Docks||1 x Favours: The Docks||1000 Service||313 Service|
|Option||Aerial Prowess||Aerial Armament|
|The Sparrow Class||100||50|
|The Vigilant Class||75||75|
|The Obliterator Class||50||100|
At the Command of an Airship
Once you have chosen your airship, you can launch it at station IX with Engage in a Reconnaissance Flight and take to the air to scout out the roof.
There are two states to manage: No Danger, and 'Under Attack, and two menaces to watch out for:
- Fuel Depletion of your Airship - Most actions increase this
- Damage to your Airship - Getting attacked will increase this.
If either of these hits 8, you will have to make an emergency landing, and may take wounds. Turning back ends the excursion immediately, but cannot be done while you are under attack.
The difficulty for the various checks will increase the further away from the station you go.
|Employ speed||Aerial Prowess|
|Go looking for trouble||At least|
|Return to base||N/A|
|A success can sometimes lose your attacker.|
|Stay at range and return fire|
|Engage the enemy directly||Aerial Armament|
|Evade their attacks||Aerial Prowess|
|Sighting the Castles|
|Sight one of the castles on the roof||Far Afield from Station IX 30/55/80/105|
|Menaces Hit 8|
Once you return back, you will need to turn in your surveys with Report your observations before you are allowed to fly again. This will gain you (10 * Surveys + 1250 * Sightings) x Service to London.
The Sparrow-class is the best airship option, as outside of combat there are only Aerial Prowess checks and in combat the available Prowess and Armament checks are of equal difficulty (and harder than the non-combat checks, so it's better to avoid combat).
When traveling, for all but early game characters with low Shadowy, the best option (regardless of airship class) is always Employ stealth, since the Prowess check is easier. The optimal strategy with the Sparrow-class, with any values of Shadowy and Watchful, is to keep going until you hit the third Sighting of a Landmark on the Roof and then turn back, since at that point the chance of entering combat becomes significant, and combat has harder checks, with greater likelihood of failing and making less progress per action. For characters flying non-Sparrow-class airships, it generally makes sense to turn back after the second Landmark instead, though Vigilant pilots with 250+ Shadowy may reasonably go for 3.
If you do enter combat, with the Sparrow-class the best option is to Evade their attacks until you get out of combat.
Previous activities can be done as long as the player does not advance their war effort past the required stage.
Come grow plants in the greenhouse and raise your Horticultural Prestige.
In the Glasshouse is where the plant-growing activities are located. First you select a plant from options with varying levels of Horticultural Difficulty. This determines the challenge difficulty as well as the payout at the end. Each action will increase Growing a Prized Plant, until it reaches 8, at which point you Present your plant to the judges, which will reward you with Horticultural Prestige, which will be used to turn in for rewards. As well as growing your plant, each action will also increase Advancing the Horticultural Arts, which will unlock a new plant and a plant-growing option.
Your choice of plant determines your Horticultural Difficulty, but it also determines your Growing in your Care, Light Preference: and Growing in your Care, Classification:, which unlock certain growing options.
|'Purple Maiden' lily-caps||Dark||Fungi||20||491|
|A cutting from your Singular Plant||Attending to the Needs of a Singular Plant 10||Shaded||Plantae||50||1617|
|'Marigold Madness' lily-caps||Dark||Fungi||70||2504|
|Peppercaps, hopefully prize-winning||Hand-picked Peppercaps 1||Dark||Fungi||100||3981|
|'Violant wing' lily-caps||Advancing the Horticultural Arts 100000||Dark||Fungi||150||6744|
|'Golden screamer' mandrakes||Direct Sunlight||Plantae||200||9803|
|Cautionary Orchids||Advancing the Horticultural Arts 1000000|
Different options are available based on your level of Growing a Prized Plant, and they have their own requirements and challenges, but they all give 2 CP of Growing a Prized Plant on success.
|Option||Growing a Prized Plant||Challenge||Requirements|
|Divine its needs||1-4||Broad Watchful|
|Prepare the soil||1-4||Broad Shadowy|
|Secure vital nutrition for your precious plant||2-5||Broad Persuasive|
|Sing to it||3-6||Broad Persuasive|
|Give it some artificial light||4-7||Broad Watchful||Sunlight preference, 10x Khaganian Lightbulb (the lightbulbs will not be used)|
|Let it rest in a cool, dark place||4-7||Broad Shadowy||Dark preference|
|Employ forbidden horticultural techniques||6-7||Narrow Artisan of the Red Science||Betrayer of Measures|
|Dose it with a very gentle application of toxins||6-7||Narrow Kataleptic Toxicology , unknown difficulty||Advancing the Horticultural Arts 10000000|
|Make a legalistic argument about your competition's eligibility||7||Broad Persuasive, unknown difficulty
Narrow Respectable, unknown difficulty
|Cajole the judges||7||Broad Persuasive|
Plead for Assistance
You can ask several different people for assistance in the war against the starved men.
- Appeal to the Admiralty in Wolfstack Docks
- Appeal to the Masters in Bazaar Side-Streets - This becomes locked after you attempt it. The Masters will not help us. They are not coming.
- Appeal to Sinning Jenny in Ladybones Road
- Appeal to the Brass Embassy in Moloch Street - This is now locked. Hell will not assist. They are not coming.
- Appeal to the Court in The Shuttered Palace - This is now locked. She will not help us. She is not coming.
London's Ruin Cards
You can help lower London's Ruin by playing opportunity cards created by the event. These cards are unlocked at different levels of Ruin, and can be permanently dimissed at the cost of accepting a Burden.
|| A Stalwart Commitment to Helping:
||+5 London's Ruin|
|| A Stalwart Commitment to Helping:
||Bridge the span|
|| A Fierce Commitment to London's Defence:
||Buttress the ceiling|
|| A Fierce Commitment to London's Defence:
Tending London's Wounds
You can help with relief efforts in the storylet Tending London's Wounds. All options therein increase Service to London and decrease London's Ruin by different amounts, and increase Relief Efforts by 1. Some options were opened by the full propagation of certain clues. These will be denoted by the links to the associated qualities in the Requirements section.
Fighting London's War
You can help fight the Starved Men in the storylet Fighting London's War. All options therein increase Service to London, London's Ruin, and The Defence of London by different amounts. All options with challenges increase Wounds or Nightmares on failure. Some options were opened by the full propagation of certain clues. These will be denoted by the links to the associated qualities in the Requirements section.
|Option||Challenge||Success Results||Failure Results||Requirements|
|Erect barricades||None.||100 Service, +3 Ruin, +3 Defence|
|Lead a skirmish||Dangerous 150||420 Service, +5 Ruin, +5 Defence||70 Service, +5 Ruin, +2 CP Wounds|
|Call in gunnery support||Zeefaring 11||520 Service, +7 Ruin, +7 Defence||50 Service, +7 Ruin, +2 CP Wounds|
|Lay a botanical trap for the Starved Men||None.||5000 Service, +7 Ruin, +60 Defence, unique Accomplishment||Requires Attending to the Needs of a Singular Plant 19, can only be done once.|
|Clear the city of amber||None.||200 Service, +3 Ruin, +10 Defence||Metamorphic Catalysts|
|Flank the enemy by moving troops through the glass||Glasswork 7||450 Service, +5 Ruin, +20 Defence||+5 Ruin, +4 CP Nightmares||Knowledge Fully Disseminated 10|
|Educate fighters on Starved anatomy||Monstrous Anatomy 11||560 Service, +7 Ruin, +30 Defence||+7 Ruin, +2 CP Nightmares||Elastic Limits|
|Train Unfinished Men to fight||None.||200 Service, +3 Ruin, +30 Defence||A Supply of Soldiers|
|Offer a rousing speech||Persuasive 150||450 Service, +5 Ruin, +40 Defence||+5 Ruin, +2 CP Nightmares||Weaknesses of the Enemy 3|
|Modify some recruits with the Shapeling Arts||Shapeling Arts 11||600 Service, +7 Ruin, +50 Defence||+7 Ruin, +2 CP Nightmares||Ecstasies of Change|
Searching for clues:
We must search for clues as to how to defeat the starved men, and what they want.
- Hidden behind closed doors. - Mrs Chapman's Boarding House, Needs backstage 5
- !kathakathoti! - Rubbery Men Card, requires one favour
- Among ruins. - Forgotten Quarter, New expedition
- Among the lights and laughter. - Mrs. Plenty's Festival - Most Educational Anatomy Exibition
- Beneath the loam. - Underclay, 100 convincing falsehoods
- At the tip of a fallen temple. - Godfall, end of a pilgrimage
- Deep in memory – if you have the right past. - Waswood in Lightfingers
- Downstairs. - Helicon House with Admiralty Lacky - Below Stairs, Shapeling Studies 1, Fitting in 5
- In dreams. - In the Viric Jungle, if Cats or Snakes are ascendant
- Beneath justice. - Light in Exile, Diving at Evenlode
- Deep, and down. - Flute Street (FATE locked)
- Up. - Upwards (FATE locked)
- Forgotten. - Nadir - new card “A Reservoir of Forgotten Shapes”
- In a time yet to come. - Irem - A neon Future, needs 20 neo-echoes (Ensure that you collect them in A Near Future)
- Where oars bend to water. - Slow Boat (opp card)”Recall pitched battle against the Starved Men” (Dying)
- Through gunsmoke and fire. - Zee - The Prophet's Call - Hear the name of something lost and misshapen (Piracy)
- Somewhere meteorological - The weather At Last card has a new option if you’ve done Written in the Glim (FATE locked)
- At the frontiers of knowledge. - Laboratory - NEW RESEARCH EXPERIMENT. Requires 550 research, has Shapeling Focus
- Under moonish light - Port Cecil - The Perigee of Silver (Requires Evolution (Naturalist’s Map))
- Somewhere fungal - Mangrove College, complete 7 expeditions and talk to the Hintershroom (FATE locked)
A Hard-Earned Knack for Repair (Affiliation)
The Rank of Flight Captain (Affiliation)
Honorary Membership in the London Horticultural Society (Affiliation)
The Final Resting Place of an Old Friend (Affiliation)
Lingering Radiance (Boon)
London's Many Hands (Boon)
- Starved Intelligencer: - Increases by turning in clues.
- Caps out at 10 with The Seven-Fingered Right Hand of the Commodore
- Ambassador of Last Resort: - Increases by seeking out allies for London after the initial war is won.
- Caps out at 6 (all six factions called) with an Emissary Exigent
- Grants access to the titles 'Ambassador' (any level) and 'Emissary' (level 6)
- A Commissioned Airship: - A memento of your airship, both hard won and hard lost.
The Admiration of Station IX
You can Perform above and beyond in the field of duty on Station IX (Provisional) if you have 20000 x Service to London and an airship, you can get The Admiration of Station IX which promises a unique item at the end of the event. That item being The Final Resting Place of an Old Friend
Materials and Materiel
This allows you to spend Service to London on various rewards. It is valued 1:1 with Penny. Some options were opened by the full propagation of certain clues. These will be denoted by the links to the associated qualities in the Requirements section.
The Rubbery Skull can be sold for 125 x Nightsoil of the Bazaar to the Tentacled Servant, making that option worth playing at least once. Starstone Demark and Nodule of Fecund Amber are rare items that are otherwise difficult to acquire; however, they also have limited uses and are available in the Rat Market on occasion.
Other good options for cash-out are, in descending order of profit, Claim the box from Hell, as long as The Eyes Have Them will allow, followed by Claim the crate of Polythremean ammunition, and ultimately to Claim the crate of surplus Khaganian materiel. Both Khaganian and Polythremean options take full advantage of the Rat Market to maximize their output, so be sure to hold onto them until they can be sold, preferably in bulk, see analysis below.
The options that give bones are fairly unremarkable for a player with a Railway, but they are a good source for midgame players who otherwise have difficulty accessing most of them.
Rejected Ordinance most notably gives Book of Hidden Bodies, an item otherwise fairly annoying to acquire and so is highly recommended for early and midgame players who still have yet to do most of their PoSI Item Crafting. Players past that point might still want to grab one or two anyway, just in case. Unlawful Device can be profitably offloaded at The Rat Market as well. The Lost Research Assistant is not saleable normally, but can be redeemed during A War in Spite. Overall this option is quite profitable, especially if you still haven't done a lot of Sidestreets crafting, but it requires a bit of patience for World Qualities to redeem optimally.
Aside from these, for players without access to Balmoral, the best cash-out option was Tinned Ham, which sells to the Bazaar for one echo more than it costs to acquire. For those who do have access to Balmoral, the Bottle of Fourth City Airag: Year of the Tortoise is worth quite a bit more when arbitraged as Crackling Device in the Khanate and sold to the Rat Market. Also the Bottle of Greyfields 1882 that comes with the Airag is useful for The Demi-Monde: Bohemians and A Presumptuous Little Opportunity, making this a decent cash-out even pre-Balmoral.
Other than the one-time Rubbery Skull, there is currently no efficient way to exchange Service to London for Hinterland Scrip. Players waiting for such may wish to conserve their Service in case one becomes available.
The latest cash-out options are far more profitable than the older ones:
1) Claim the box from Hell is limited to 10 uses per character. However, it is also the most profitable by far.
- 1.7915 pennies / Service: (31250 + 5*100*10 - 420) / (5 * 4000) = 35830 pennies / 20000 Service = 1.7915.
- Optimal conversion requires cashing out the skulls 5 at a time via a fair exchange .
- Action cost for optimal cashing-in: 2 actions per 20000 service = 0.1 actions/1000 service.
2) Claim the crate of Polythremean ammunition is apparently unlimited and second best in profitability. Uniquely, it has two different calculations, because the optimal way to cash it out depends on if your actions are worth more or less than 3.75 Echoes.
If your actions are worth less than 3.75 Echoes apiece, you should sell the Storm-Threnodies 1 at a time, for 200 Rat-Shillings each.
- 1.46875 pennies / Service: (500 * 1 + 5 * 2000 + 25 * 50) / 8000 = 11750 pennies / 8000 Service = 1.46875
- 10000 / 11750 = 85% of those pennies are cashed in as Rat-Shillings.
- Action cost for optimal cashing-in: 5 actions per 8000 service = 0.625 actions / 1000 Service.
If your actions are worth more than 3.75 Echoes apiece, you should sell them 5 at a time, for 850 Rat-Shillings per 5.
- 1.28125 pennies / Service: (500 * 1 + 1 * 8500 + 25 * 50) / 8000 = 10250 pennies / 8000 Service = 1.28125
- 8500 / 10250 = 82% of those pennies are cashed in as Rat-Shillings.
- Action cost for optimal cashing-in: 1 action per 8000 service = 0.125 actions / 1000 Service.
3) Claim the crate of surplus Khaganian materiel is less profitable but more action-efficient than Polythremean ammunition.
- At most 1.277 pennies / Service: (40000 + 375*1250/100) / 35000 = 44687.5 pennies / 35000 Service = 1.277 pennies / Service.
- 40000/44687.5 = 89.5% of those pennies are converted into Rat-Shillings.
- Action cost for optimal cashing-in: 4.75 actions / 35000 Service = 0.135 actions / 1000 Service.
The London Horticultural Show Awards Ceremony
This is where you finally get your rewards for the plants you spent time producing. This is nominally valued at 1 / 100 x Horticultural Prestige. All of these will award Honorary Membership in the London Horticultural Society
|Accept a ribbon for 'Best in Show'||18000|
|Accept a ribbon for 'Hungriest Roots'||9000|
|Accept a ribbon for 'Most Aroma'||4500|
|Accept a ribbon for 'Whitest Teeth'||2250|
|Accept a ribbon for 'Least Threatening'||1125|
|Enjoy the company of your fellow horticulturists||The rest of it.|
Permanent Game Additions
The Horticultural Show has left a few permanent changes to London.
The Starved Embassy
A Cultural Exchange becomes available in Watchmaker's Hill. Once per week--reset with Time, the Healer--you may accompany a delegation of Londoners to the new Starved Embassy. You choose an offering to present to the Starved Men, who will give you something in return. The less valuable your offering is, the more likely you are to gain Scandal. After exchanging enough gifts, the Starved Men will present you with an Amber Ambassador's Seal.
These activities became available during the clue-gathering phase, and closed after that completed, but after the conclusion of the event they have remained as permanent additions to their respective activities.