Attending a Party (Guide)
Parties in Veilgarden are accessed via the Opportunity Card A Polite Invitation, which appears when you are A Person of Some Importance (see Guide). A party is a social opportunity, with potential rewards that include Making Waves and Favours.
What to do at a party
You are at a party—an opportunity to socialise, dance, and dine with other prominent Londoners. It primarily involves Persuasive challenges between 115 and 130, but some actions use other main attributes in the same range, and a few are based on other qualities entirely.
Actions you can take at the party are determined by unique opportunity cards and storylets. They include chances to increase Talk of the Town or gain other rewards, notably Favours.
You can have only 3 opportunity cards face-up in the deck during a party, regardless of your lodgings. Cards are non-discardible, but the deck is unlimited (meaning you can always draw a new card to fill your hand, without waiting).
The progress of the party is tracked by the quality Time Remaining. Different options are available on the cards and storylets at different stages of the party.
When Time Remaining reaches zero, the party ends, and your Talk of the Town carries over or (if it's reached a certain level) can be traded for rewards. You will also receive some Making Waves.
You can always leave the party early via Make your Apologies, at a cost of 1 CP Talk of the Town. The remainder will still carry over to your next party.
Time Remaining determines the stage of the party, and which options can be played on storylets and opportunity cards. The following table indicates whether a particular storylet or card is playable at a given stage.Options by Time Remaining...
Playing an option costs x 1, with some exceptions. The following actions cost x 2 on success or failure:
- At 6, Arrive fashionably late (but a rare success only costs 1)
- At 4, The Jovial Contrarian is looking for someone to argue with
These actions cost x 2 only on failure (and send you to Taking your Leave if was ≤ 2):
- At 5, Exchange pleasantries with two creaking ladies
- At 3, Attempt a fiery dance of the Elder Continent
- At 2, The Whiskered Admiral has turned an alarming shade of purple
- At 2, Discuss recent fluctuations in the market
- At 1–5, Gamble with the footmen from The Impertinent Footman
Finally, these actions reset Time Remaining and send you immediately back to Your Lodgings, without Taking your Leave:
- Make your Apologies (to leave the party early)
- At 2, failure at The Jovial Contrarian is about to give a Whiskered Admiral a fit
Taking your Leave
At Time Remaining 0, the storylet Taking your Leave is activated, where you can claim a final reward depending on your level of Talk of the Town. As the quality is pyramidal, it takes 78 CP to reach level 12.
- 1: You've not gone unnoticed gets you 20 CP of Making Waves and 1 x Favours: Society
- 12: Someone would like a word gains 30 CP Making Waves and 4 x Favour in High Places
- 12: Your host would like a moment before you leave gains 40 CP Making Waves and 1 x Personal Recommendation
Talk of the Town rolls over if you choose You've not gone unnoticed, allowing you to build it up at subsequent parties for the higher-tier rewards. Both of the level 12 options cost 75 CP of Talk of the Town (enough to take you down from exactly level 12 to level 2).
Strategically speaking, you can continue choosing to roll over your Talk of the Town even after you have enough to get the higher rewards. This would theoretically allow you to bank large amounts and play the higher options at consecutive parties, which could be helpful when grinding Making Waves. (For example, reaching 17 would allow you to spend 75 CP at one party on a level 12 option, and still have 12 going into the next party.) However, to do this within the same week (to keep ahead of Time, the Healer's MW reduction) depends on drawing A Polite Invitation, so it's more of a bonus than a reliable element of a MW grind strategy.
The various options at a party also have valuable rewards—primarily Talk of the Town, but also notably various factions' favours, with the occasional chance of making extra Making Waves, especially as you leave the party. This section lists the availability of those rewards and the best possible amount of Talk of the Town in one party:
Talk of the Town
The maximum amount of Talk of the Town you can accrue in one party is 19 CP:
- Reply and attend, +2 CP
- 6, Arrive punctually or The Brass Ambassador bumps into you on the street outside, +2 CP
- 5, Spill wine on a social rival, +6 CP
- 4, The Musicians are Testing their Strings or The Turkish Girl has a space on her dance card, +2 CP
- 3, The Turkish Girl has taken her shoes off to dance, +3 CP
- Otherwise, use the basic options Attempt a fiery dance of the Elder Continent or Stick to something stately, +2 CP
- 2, The Whiskered Admiral has turned an alarming shade of purple or Discuss recent fluctuations in the market or Express an opinion!, +2 CP
- 1, The Evening is Drawing to a Close, +2 CP
- 6, Arriving at the Party, either punctually or fashionably late, +1 CP.
- 1–5, all options on The Impertinent Footman lose 3 CP on success and 5 CP on failure (exception: rare success on Probe the butler loses only 1 CP)
- 1–5, "Harry." in the card Heavily Entitled, +2 CP on success.
- 0, Taking your Leave, +20–40 CP depending on the option.
- 6, The Brass Ambassador bumps into you on the street outside, 2 Favours: Hell at the cost of a Bottle of Broken Giant 1844.
- 5, The Tentacled Entrepreneur is heading hopefully in your direction, 1–2 Favours: Rubbery Men.
- 3, Stick to something stately, gains 1 Favours: The Docks on a rare success (~25% of successes).
- The Tentacled Entrepreneur is confused by the cutlery, 1 Favours: Rubbery Men.
- The Jovial Contrarian is about to give a Whiskered Admiral a fit, gains 1 Favours: Society.
- The Whiskered Admiral has turned an alarming shade of purple, gains 1 Favours: Society.
- The Tentacled Entrepreneur has a business proposition, gains 1 Favours: Society.
- The Brass Ambassador asked you to bring a certain document along, 1 Favours: Hell; spends 1 x Infernal Contract but requires 10 Contracts.
- 0, You've not gone unnoticed, gains 1 Favours: Society.