Attending a Party (Guide)
What to do at a party
- Your Time Remaining... quality tells you how long you have left at the party. When it reaches zero you will return to your lodgings.
- Each party passes through a number of stages: arrival, mingling, finding a dance partner, the last dance, dining, winding down, and leaving.
- Parties are a good way to increase your Talk of the Town quality. At the end of the evening there may be an opportunity to trade Talk of the Town for a Personal Recommendation or Favours in High Places, valuable qualities of use in crafting higher level items.
- You can interact with specific guests via opportunity cards. Guests will present different possibilities as the evening progresses. Check back on them throughout the party.
- Arriving at the Party
- Mingle with the Guests
- The Musicians are Testing their Strings
- Make your Apologies
- The Last Dance
- The Dinner Gong
- The Evening is Drawing to a Close
- Taking your Leave
- The Turkish Girl...
- The Tentacled Entrepreneur...
- The Brass Ambassador...
- The Jovial Contrarian...
- The Nibbles Tray
- The Whiskered Admiral...
- The Impertinent Footman
When visiting the party, there are several different strategies one can take.
Talk of the Town
75 cp of Talk of the Town is exchangeable for 50 of favours in high places. This gives each CP a value of around 0.67 . Most actions provide 2 CP (1.33 E), but some provide more. If you're in need of Personal Recommendation, this may be even better if comparing to buying these on the Bazaar Side-Streets. The options at TR 5 are very good, so you should try to either have a Spindlewolf or acquaintances you can slight.
Important TR values:
- 6: Arriving fashionably late provides 4 CP Talk of the Town at the expense of 2 TR - this makes it impossible to use the actions at 5, however.
- Alternatives are arriving punctually and giving a devil a bottle of Broken Giant. Both provides 2 CP, the devil would also provide favours (at an expense).
- 5: Slight someone for 6 CP Talk of the Town or use your Spindlewolf for 3 CP + 2 worth of Incendiary Gossip. These are both valuable options that should not be missed.
- 4: The Jovial contrarian wants to argue. This provides 4 CP Talk of the Town and spends 2 TR.
- 3: The Turkish girl provides 3 CP Talk of the Town for a dance.
Draw cards at the beginning of the party for best chances to gain favours. The Brass Ambassador... and The Tentacled Entrepreneur... are good sources of Favours: Hell and Favours: Rubbery Men respectively, depending on the Time Remaining. In addition, favours with the docks and favours with society can be provided. When no good options are available, you should play a bad card in order to get another draw.
Important TR values:
- 6: Meet a devil on the way to the party for 2 x Favours: Hell (costs 1 x Bottle of Broken Giant 1844)
- 5: Meet a rubbery man for 1-2 x Favours: Rubbery Men
- 3: Stick to something stately for a 25% chance at 1 x Favours: The Docks
- 2: The tentacled entrepreneur provides 1 x Favours: Rubbery Men. Both the Whiskered General and the Jovial Contrarian provides 1 x Favours: Society, but the Whiskered General provides the most Talk of the Town.
- 1: The devil provides 1 x Favours: Hell for infernal contracts, and the rubbery man provides 1 x Favours: Society
- 0: Leaving the party provides 1 x Favours: Society
This means it's possible to get 8 favours from a single party, but a more reasonable expectation is 4-5, as there's some cards you won't draw.
Note: most cards could appear at any time but actions on the cards will only open up at the Time Remaining... (TR) levels below. The numbers in brackets denote the Talk of the Town CP obtainable through this option, and its cost in TR if above 1. The entries also list their cost / rewards of items and favours, if applicable.
- Arriving at the Party
- Make your Apologies (you can leave prematurely at any time) [-1]
- (from The Brass Ambassador...) ...bumps into you on the street outside , costs 1 x Bottle of Broken Giant 1844 but also nets 2 x Favours: Hell and 5 x Infernal Contract
- Mingle with the Guests [2 for the first three options]
- Exchange pleasantries with two creaking ladies needs Renown: Society 15 and costs two TR on failure
- Trade airy theorems with the Dean of Epigraphical Mathematics is a Narrow Connected: Summerset 21 challenge
- Indulge in Bohemian banter needs Renown: Bohemians 15
- Spill wine on a social rival - allows you to slight someone 
- Have your Spindlewolf eavesdrop - needs Spindlewolf , gives 4 x Incendiary Gossip on success, or 2 x Incendiary Gossip & 1 x An Identity Uncovered! on rare success
- (from The Turkish Girl...) ...has been cornered by spicily arrogant débutantes , gives 1 x Confident Smile and 57 x Whispered Hint
- (from The Tentacled Entrepreneur... ) ...is heading hopefully in your direction , gives 1-2 x Favours: Rubbery Men and 25 x Cryptic Clue
- (from The Brass Ambassador...) ...is pretending you don't exist  [Failure: -2]
- (from The Whiskered Admiral...) ...would like to know who you are, exactly 
- The Nibbles Tray (also visible at lower levels) [2 for both options]
- Help yourself costs two TR on failure
- The Impertinent Footman (also visible at lower levels) [0 for all three options], chance to gain various items
- Gamble with the footmen costs two TR on failure
- The Musicians are Testing their Strings [2 for both options]
- (from The Turkish Girl...) ...has a space on her dance card 
- (from The Jovial Contrarian...) ...is looking for someone to argue with [4, costs two TR]
- The Last Dance [2 for both options]
- (from The Turkish Girl...) ...has taken her shoes off to dance 
- The Dinner Gong
- (from The Whiskered Admiral...) ...has turned an alarming shade of purple , gives 1 x Favours: Society, failure ends the party
- (from The Jovial Contrarian...) ...is about to give a Whiskered Admiral a fit , gives 1 x Favours: Society, failure ends the party
- (from The Tentacled Entrepreneur... ) ...is confused by the cutlery , gives 1 x Favours: Rubbery Men and 50 x Nodule of Deep Amber
- The Evening is Drawing to a Close [2 for all options]
- (from The Brass Ambassador...) ...asked you to bring a certain document along , needs 10 x Infernal Contract and costs 1, gives 1 x Favours: Hell and 2 x Appalling Secret
- (from The Tentacled Entrepreneur...) ...has a business proposition , needs Renown: Society 15, gives 1 x Favours: Society and 75 x Nodule of Deep Amber