Making Waves (Guide)
|This guide is incomplete. You can help by expanding it.
What needs work: More information about MW gains from other actions, particularly other opportunity cards and social slights.
You have a reputation! Now be sure to keep your name before the public.
What is Making Waves?
- "...there is only one thing in the world worse than being talked about, and that is not being talked about."
- —Lord Henry, in The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde (1891)
Once you are a PoSI, Making Waves is how you increase your Notability. Using the Slowcake's Amanuensis card and an Entry in Slowcake's Exceptionals, you can spend Making Waves to increase your Notability. How many levels of Making Waves you need to raise Notability is determined by the formula [20 - ( B+ D+ R) + 4 * N], in which B+D+R is the total of your Bizarre, Dreaded, and Respectable levels, and N is your current Notability. (For more on Notability and what it is used for, consult the Notability sections of the PoSI guide.)
I need some Making Waves!
There are a number of different ways of getting Making Waves, and the best method depends on your resources, the amount of time you have, and the amount of Making Waves you need.
- Grinds: If you prefer to not spend too many resources on Making Waves, and have a full week ahead of you, there are several reliable grinds.
- The first is the cross-conversion carousel. This averages 1.6 CP MW (and 0.50) per action and is indefinitely cycleable, requiring only that players have at least 50 of one type of 50-pence item to start. You can use extra actions before Time, the Healer comes through to line up as many 50p items as possible at Making Waves conversions (e.g., converting them all to Visions of the Surface) in order to maximize the efficiency of the carousel.
- The second is at Helicon House, where the Mirrored Salon (once unlocked) provides a grind that gives 4 CP MW per action.This may be done four times per visit to the House before the player must leave. By simply exiting the house immediately, this provides 3.2 CP MW per action and no profit; by instead staying in the house to collect a final reward before leaving, players may accrue 2.7 CP MW and around 1.7 per action, with payout depending on choice of companion. The payout can increase to 2.62 EPA if a player has Train Luxuries 4, in order to use the solacefruit option and purchase Tinned Ham to sell to the Bazaar. This grind requires players to have a Railway, to have unlocked Helicon House, to have Glasswork 8, and to have an Oneiric Key or an Underground Organ to avoid repeatedly paying the House's entry fee. Once all of these conditions are met, however, it is the fastest way to repeatedly and indefinitely grind Making Waves.
- Lodgings cards: If you would like a lot of Making Waves quickly, and don't mind spending resources on them, many Lodgings cards offer MW actions that typically cost around 1 per CP of Making Waves. These can be very useful for getting high levels of MW, as they generally give a lot at one time.
- Salon: For very high levels of Making Waves, the Salon is the most effective option. It takes time and resources to set it up and to raise Scheme, but once high levels of Scheme are obtained it can give around 3 CP MW per 1 of investment. For very high levels of Making Waves, the Salon and Orphanage can also be used to "bank" MW to allow more than a week's worth of grinding.
- Social actions: If you want to get a last few points before the week ends, and only have a few actions to get them with, you may want to Flatter a non-PoSI at Dante's Grill (the other person has to initiate this via Benefit from flattery at Dante's Grill) or Meet someone for a Coffee at Caligula's; both are Social Actions. If you don't want to or don't have time to interact with others, there are some universally available grindable Actions that reliably give small amounts of Making Waves. Actions that give 1 CP per action or less are usually not sustainable for getting higher levels of Notability, however.
Grindable actions that increase Making Waves are:
- Helicon House: Astonish the company with an illusion in the Mirrored Salon. At Persuasive 209 and Glasswork 8, this provides 16 CP for 5 actions (3.2 CP/action) if you leave the house without gathering rewards at Time Remaining 1. If you do not have the Oneiric Key, repeated entry to the house may become costly.
- The University: Mixing in Summerset Society and A feather in Benthic's mortar board at Featuring in the Tales of the University 5 and Term Passing... below 11 (2 CP)
- The Empress' Court: Discussing anything in The life of the mind (1 CP)
- Cycling between being Identified with a School    at The Singing Mandrake gives 1 CP/action for going rogue and 1-10 for aligning to a school at the cost of 3 actions and different items/connections/gains. Also changes Quirks. (1.6 CP on average)
- Supply wine in exchange for Prisoner's Honey at The Honey-Dens of Veilgarden (1 CP and 40 x Drop of Prisoner's Honey for 50 x Bottle of Greyfields 1879)
|Cross-category item conversions: Overview|
|All conversions are 50:51. Conversions marked as ≈ produce 1-10 CP of Making Waves.|
Upgrading and converting certain items across categories gives ~1.61 CP on average; check the Items Guide for more information. This process is also known as the 50p item carousel.
- The cross-conversion carousel will on average give 21 CP per 13 actions (1.62 CP per action).
- Tales of Terror into Extraordinary Implications (5 or 10 CP)
- Memories of Distant Shores into Collated Research (1-15 CP)
- Extraordinary Implications into Uncanny Incunabula (2-30 CP)
- Visions of the Surface into Touching Love Stories (1-10 CP)
- Stolen Kisses into Favours in High Places (1-45 CP)
Although the conversion carousel gives 1.6 CP per action on average, it can be made more efficient. In particular, the string of conversions between Strangling Willow Absinthe and Visions of the Surface, which all give 0 MW, may be done in advance of Time, The Healer's visit. This allows players to immediately begin getting Making Waves at the start of the week, offering more time to reach a MW goal.
As the carousel is very modestly profitable (each batch of 50 items results in 51 items of the next category), it is possible to "snowball" and become self-sustaining. It's up to you how many items you want to convert at one time; large batches of resources (thousands of 50p items or more) can be more easily optimized in the above manner, but also represent a significant action investment. The cross-conversion carousel is generally adequate on its own up to moderately high Notability goals, depending on BDR, and even at later levels is useful to complement Salons or Lodgings grinds.
Opportunity card actions that increase Making Waves. While most of the grindable options are free and/or mildly profitable unless otherwise noted, these cost resources. However, they are more time-efficient than the grindable methods.
Some major MW gains are found on the opportunity cards specific to Lodgings you own.
The Tower of Eyes: Behind Closed Doors at a Handsome Townhouse is one of the most efficient ways of generating large amounts of MW, either through a Salon or an Orphanage. Both options require raising Scheme, which may be cashed in for Making Waves. The Salon raises Scheme through Bohemians and Society favours, as well as Stolen Kisses and Favours in High Places. The Orphanage primarily requires Echoes and items that may be bought from the Bazaar. Although this does in theory make the Orphanage more flexible to grind for, both Bohemian and Society favours are relatively abundant, and it costs only half as much to raise Scheme with the Salon compared to the Orphanage.
For a Salon, you build up Engaged in a Scheme: a Salon.
|Encourage the great and the good to attend your Salon|| 3 x Favours: Society
1 x Favour in High Places
|25.1 E||5 - 7 CP
|Encourage the wise and the wicked to attend your Salon|| 3 x Favours: Bohemians
4 x Stolen Kiss
|22.6 E||2 - 11 CP
Salon CP can be cashed out by inviting various people to your Salon, at a range of costs and rewards. The list of possible invitees depends on The Airs of London, which may be shuffled through a variety of actions.
- Most invitees (Silas the Showman, the Presbyteriate Diplomat, The Mercies, The Repentant Forger, and the Sardonic Music-Hall Singer) cost between 15 and 30 CP of Scheme, and give, on average, 10 to 11 CP of MW per CP of Scheme. For some of these invitees, the range is larger than for others.
- It is possible to invite other players: Authors give 150 CP Making Waves for 15 CP Scheme (10 CP MW per Scheme), with no Airs requirement; Crooked-Crosses give 200 CP Making Waves for 15 CP Scheme (13.3 CP MW per Scheme), and require Airs 80-100.
- If you have the Lyrebird Educated in Three Schools from Whitsun, you can present it for 14(?) CP Scheme with Airs 25-50 for 150 CP Making Waves. (10.7 CP MW per Scheme)
- Inviting the Duchess ( Airs 25-50) is an especially expensive option, costing a Midnight Matriarch and 65 CP Scheme, with a reward of 850 CP of Making Waves. (13 CP MW per Scheme)
At its most efficient (building Scheme via Wise and Wicked and cashing it in with Crooked-Cross visits), this will give a return of 3.8 CP MW per Echo invested.
For an Orphanage, you build up Engaged in a Scheme: an Orphanage.
|Option||Requirements||Echo cost||Scheme||Scheme/Echo Ratio|
|Offer some Urchins a place|| 5 x Favours: Urchins
|51||4 - 8 CP
|Look after your Orphanage|| 5 x F.F. Gebrandt's Tincture of Vigour
||59.5||4 - 9 CP
|Admit your Winsome Orphan to the Orphanage|| 1 x Winsome Dispossessed Orphan
|74.80||1 - 11 CP
|Introduce your Warm-Hearted|| 1 x Warm-hearted Amber Iguana (not consumed)
||40||3 - 14 CP
As with the Salon, there are a variety of cash-out options.
- Graduation and Reuniting a Disposessed Orphan give an average of 150 CP MW for 15 CP Scheme. (10 CP MW per Scheme)
- Invite a Correspondent acquaintance, with Airs 80-100, and Invite a Midnighter acquaintance, with Airs 0-20, both give 200 CP MW for 15 CP Scheme. (13.3 CP MW per Scheme)
At its most efficient (building Scheme with an Iguana and inviting Midnighters or Correspondents), this gives a return of 2.8 CP MW per Echo. If the Iguana is not available, this becomes 1.6 CP MW per Echo via the 5 x Urchins Favours option.
Banking Actions: If you have a cooperative friend, or an alt, you can "bank" social invites from the Salon or Orphanage by sending the invites as the options become available, but asking them to not accept them immediately. Then, when you have enough in store to reach your Notability goal, ask them to accept all of the invites at once. This avoids the need to draw the Handsome Townhouse card many times in a single week. Note that this does not work with any of the NPC invites, which are automatically accepted as soon as they are sent.
Most other Lodgings cards have some method of accruing Making Waves, though none are as elaborate as the Townhouse.
- An Unorthodox Arrangement gives 1 to 30 CP MW (avg:15.5) for a Society Favour and a Favour in High Places.
- Occasionally gives a Sudden Insight.
- Invite guests to trade a Searing Enigma for 65 CP MW.
- Note that there is an SotC challenge associated with this - if you fail, you won't lose the Enigma, but you won't gain the MW either.
- Hosting A Masque in the Marshes gives approximately 64 - 75 CP MW (or 82 - 108 CP on a rare success), in exchange for a Parabola-Linen Scrap.
- Bring the celebration home for 11 to 70 CP MW (avg:40.5) in exchange for a Night on the Town, 2 x Strangling Willow Absinthe, 12 x Greyfields 1879, and no more than 30.
- Ambush Smugglers to trade a Strong-Backed Labour and 3 Docks Favours for 12 CP MW.
- An Evening of Wine and Souls gives between 81 and 180 CP MW (average 126.5; a Luck challenge is involved) for a Portfolio of Souls, a Bottle of Fourth City Airag, 2 x Muscaria Brandy, and 2 x Amanita Sherry.
- Taking Dinner in your Room gives 51-90 CP MW (avg: 70.5) for a Bejewelled Lens.
- Host a Private Auction to get 95-140 CP MW (avg: 117.5) (and about 70 ) for a Personal Recommendation, a Collection of Curiosities, and 7 x Favours: Society.
Other opportunity cards
- City Vices: a Rather Decadent Evening gives up to +10 CP if you keep Scandal at 7; costs 1 Favours: Bohemians
- A Polite Invitation provides quite a bit of CP. For more info, see Attending a Party (Guide)
These depend on the recipient accepting, so don't splurge before checking that your invitation is likely to be accepted.
- Meet someone for a Coffee at Caligula's has no cost and gives 1 CP MW, or 2 CP and 1 CP Scandal. The recipient also gets MW.
- Benefit from flattery at Dante's Grill, requires a non- PoSI A Person of Some Importance friend, whose MW will be drained by this action. Also costs a Free Evening and 10. The guest loses up to 100 CP, and the host gets however many CP were drained.
- Share a pot of tea at Beatrice's Tea Shop only costs a Free Evening, both participants get a variable amount of MW CP (roughly 10-15), a -2 CP reduction to a menace of the recipient's choosing, and around 35 CP of Persuasive
- The Rewards of Correspondence can give you [30 + Bizarre + Dreaded + Respectable] MW CP, once you have 4 levels of Corresponding...; This would take 10 letters sent from Epistolary Matters unless you are a Correspondent or Midnighter who can Compile notes on the Correspondence and Encrypt a coded instruction, respectively.
- Sending assassins after people provide around 20 CP for a few echoes, but you need "friends" to slight you.
Carousels or projects
Things that take longer and cost more but can give substantial boosts
- The Writer's Desk (see Short Stories (Guide) for more explanation).
- Heists: After the Burglary, you receive MW equivalent to 1x to 4x the amount of Burglar's Progress accumulated (depending on the Target Security quality). You can grind more Casing than needed to get Intriguing Keys, Inside Information, and Escape Routes before starting the heist, then keep drawing cards even after you've got enough Progress for the A Prize Achieved! (Thanks for this tip, to comment below from anonymous user dated 21 July 2019.) See the Casing guide and On a Heist guide for more help with heists.
- If you have a guest room or a suite at the Royal Bethlehem Hotel, burgling The Circumspect Envoy's Townhouse and Take a series on the succession laws of Arbor is simultaneously a good way to get the Magnificent Diamond needed to make the Bejewelled Lens for the MW gain action on your Lodgings opportunity card.