A Person of Some Importance (Guide)
Your influence is felt across London and beyond. Are you destined for greatness?
Note on Old/New Paramount Presence
Failbetter has overhauled the requirements for A Paramount Presence.  For players who achieved A Paramount Presence before the overhaul, there was a unique storylet available in Unfinished Business in Veilgarden until 3rd June 2020, which granted the Paramount Presence of the Ancient Regime quality, to recognise that they achieved Paramount Presence the old way (this quality was automatically given to all eligible players who hadn't claimed it by the time the storylet disappeared).
The new system removes the need to use Notability to overcap main stats. Instead you merely need to raise the caps on the main attributes and then just raise them up to their new level normally.
A Person of Some Importance (PoSI) is a measure of your importance in London. It has 4 levels:
- A Person of Some Little Consequence
- A Person of Some Importance
- A Person of Some Importance Tier 2
- A Paramount Presence
Higher tiers unlock new and exciting professions, locations, equipment, and much more.
Becoming A Person of Some Importance
Raising your main attributes to 100
To begin becoming a A Person of Some Importance, at least one of your Main Attributes ( Persuasive, Watchful, Dangerous, and Shadowy) needs to be higher than 100. However, the game checks your modified level, so boosts from equipment do count.
As soon as you've reached 100 in one Attribute, a new card can start appearing.
|Persuasive 100||A possible coincidence|
|Dangerous 100||A curious coincidence|
|Watchful 100||Almost certainly not a coincidence|
|Shadowy 100||Probably not a coincidence|
Once you arrive at Your Lodgings, you will be introduced to the Ambitious Barrister, who believes you have what it takes to become A Person of Some Importance. After a nice cup of tea (probably fungal, but it tastes delicious), she will take you for a walk around London.
Proving your Worth
After a nice cup of fungal tea (hopefully with fungal crackers), you will need to visit 4 key locations around London and prove you're known there. These locations are, in order:
|Watchmaker's Hill||A Stroll around the Hill|
|Veilgarden||A wander through Veilgarden|
|Spite||A tour of Spite|
|Ladybones Road||A walk down Ladybones Road|
To proceed, you will need to have at least a level of 100 in each Main Attribute. Note that for each storylet, only the one Attribute being tested needs to be at 100, and this can include equipment modifiers. Therefore, you can complete this section well before reaching a base level of 100 in all four Attributes.
Wardrobe, Lodgings, and Connections
After you've proven your worth in each of those locations, four new cards will start appearing around London, each with requirements to satisfy. You only have to play through one of these cards to proceed, and all but one of the cards has multiple options for completion. There is also an option on some of the cards to spend Fate to bypass the requirements.
- Suited and slippered: 1 x Night-Trimmed Frock Coat, 1 x Exceptional Hat, 1 x Pair of Dancemaster's Dabs, 1 x Pair of Masterwork Dancing Slippers
- Satin by the yard: 1 x Magnificent Midnight-Blue Evening Gown, 1 x Pair of Lady's Lace Gloves, 1 x Pair of Masterwork Dancing Slippers, 1 x Beguiling Mask
- Elegantly and entirely appointed: 1 x Pair of Masterwork Dancing Slippers, 1 x Avid Glove, 1 x Ratskin Suit, 1 x Beguiling Mask, 1 x Amber-Topped Walking-Stick
- Fashionable attire (5 FATE)
- A place at the centre of things: 1 x Lengthy Lease to Premises at the Bazaar
- A place where odd behaviour is tolerated: 1 x Reservation at the Royal Bethlehem
- A place somewhere warm: 1 x Key to a Brass Embassy Guest Room
- Little places to hide: 1 x Key to a Lair in the Marshes, 1 x Key to a Rooftop Shack, 1 x Key to a Smoky Flophouse Dormitory, 1 x Key to a Cottage by the Observatory, 1 x Key to your Rooms above a Bookshop, 1 x Key to your Rooms above a Gambling Den
- A close circle of friends: Acquaintance: the Repentant Forger, Acquaintance: the Regretful Soldier, Acquaintance: the Wry Functionary, Acquaintance: the Sardonic Music-Hall Singer
- Friends in high places: Connected: The Masters of the Bazaar 1, Renown: The Church 10, Renown: Society 10
- Friends who can get things done: Renown: Revolutionaries 10, Renown: Criminals 10, Renown: The Great Game 10
- The most singular friends: Renown: Tomb-Colonies 10, Renown: Urchins 10, Renown: Rubbery Men 10
- Everyone loves you (5 FATE)
After you've proven your worth, you need to return to Your Lodgings.
While you've proven that you have power, the Ambitious Barrister still questions what you've done yourself, and you'll need to satisfy one of these sets of requirements:
- Because they're afraid of you: A Bringer of Death 1, A Fearsome Duellist 1, A Procurer of Savage Beasts 1
- Because you watch from the shadows: Master Thief 1, The Great Game - A Fine Piece in the Game 1
- Because they love you: The Darling of the Ambassador's Ball 1, 1 x Memento of Passion, Banished from the Court 1
- Because you have secrets: A Scholar of the Correspondence 1, 20 x Appalling Secret, Nightmares 5, Featuring in the Tales of the University 25
Having proven one last time that you're indeed important, she gives you a Shaper's Pass which allows you to enter the Bazaar Side-streets.
A Morning for Business
Once you have time in your (no doubt) busy schedule to visit the side-streets, she gives you some explanation about what it means to be a PoSI and helps you acquire a Velocipede. This requires 1 x Bazaar Permit and 1 x Strong-Backed Labour, which you can get in the Bazaar Side-streets if you don't have them already.
Once you've acquired this transport, a new storylet will appear called Are we Done? Clicking Wait – one moment – reruns the tutorial. However, the option you want is You understand; this will remove A Person of Some Little Consequence and give you A Person of Some Importance.
And that's that; you're now A Person of Some Importance.
- Q: But, but... what does that mean? What does it add?
- A: Well, that's what the rest of this Guide is about.
You're A Person of Some Importance now, but what does that actually mean? Well, the short answer is: a lot. The long answer is...
Reaching PoSI status will unlock a new storylet in all locations you visited with the Ambitious Barrister. These storylets are:
- Unfinished Business in Watchmaker's Hill
- Unfinished Business in Veilgarden
- Unfinished Business in Spite
- Unfinished Business in Ladybones Road
All of these have options which require multiple Actions and will give you large amounts of raw resources.
You'll also be able to fill up the slots in the expanded section of your inventory (Affiliation, Transport, Home Comfort, Ship, Spouse, and Club). Items in these slots tend to give Bizarre, Dreaded, or Respectable (collectively referred to as BDR), and a small stat boost. For more information on these qualities and the equipment that bestows them, refer to Bizarre, Dreaded, Respectable (Guide).
Equipment for the expanded slots will most of the time be acquired by drawing the right card and then crafting the item in the Bazaar Side-streets.
Once you've become a PoSI, you'll start drawing new gold bordered cards. They'll have a small item requirement and will unlock a new storylet in Bazaar Side-streets to get that piece of Equipment. These will require PoSI Items, however.
All these items can be acquired in Bazaar Side-streets. However, they're also obtainable in places like Wilmot's End, by Fighting a War of Assassins or accepting A Polite Invitation. These repeatable carousels usually cost more actions but a lot less raw resources.
Acquiring a Ship
One of the most important things to do once you're a PoSI is to acquire a ship. So clear your agenda and visit Leadbeater & Stainrod in Wolfstack Docks. Previously they wouldn't see you, but rank hath its privileges. Unfortunately, there appears to be a high demand for ships (we are on the edge of a massive underground Zee, after all), and there is a six-year wait for new ships. The Naval Architect decides to help you, however, out of the goodness of his heart (or to get a favour from London's rising star). He informs you that before you can even think about getting a Ship, you'll need to do some basic preparations.
Before you can even think about acquiring a ship, you'll need a variety of documentation, supplies, and assistance:
- To be allowed a ship, you'll need the following paperwork: 1 x Bazaar Permit, 1 x Legal Document and 1 x Personal Recommendation. (Unfortunately, you can't just bribe the officials.)
- You'll also need some basic provisions: 1 x Cellar of Wine, 1 x Whirring Contraption and 1 x Volume of Collated Research. (You can survive on just wine? This can't be healthy.)
- And to get underway, you'll need either 2 x Strong-Backed Labour or just 1 x Strong-Backed Labour with Renown: The Docks 10.
Now that you're finished with the basic preparations, you can choose a ship to acquire.
Choosing a Ship
There are 4 different ships to choose from in London (technically 5, but The Cladery Heart was only available if you backed the Sunless Sea Kickstarter with Navigator or higher ). You can only have one ship at a time, an each have their own pros and cons.
- The Rusty Tramp Steamer is really cheap and doesn't require high stats. It is, however, also the only one that doesn't have a special opportunity while zailing.
- The Swift Zee-clipper costs a lot more than Tramp Steamer, but has an unique card which allows you to arrive faster at your destination.
- The Zubmarine allows you to travel underwater and evade dangers. It requires a lot of PoSI Items, as well as either Copy of your Tale of the Future or A Scholar of the Correspondence 3, and high Watchful.
- The Majestic Pleasure Yacht is by far the hardest to acquire. You'll need massive amounts of raw resources, including lots of PoSI items, and have to pass a Watchful Challenge, a Shadowy Challenge, and a 30% luck check, and you'll lose a lot of those resources when you fail.
Note: The Zubmarine and the Yacht are the only ones which give BDR.
So which should you choose? The Steamer and the Zee-clipper are good choices for a first ship. The Zubmarine and the Yacht are better left for later, when you have the resources to pursue them.
- Buy Slowcake's Exceptionals today to know who is important. Slowcake's Exceptionals, judging people since the Fall.
- (Slowcake's Exceptionals is sold by Nikolas Pawnbrokers, Bazaar)
Making Waves is the impression you have made upon London. Impressions are fleeting, however, and Time, the Healer will halve it every week. Making Waves can be raised in a wide array of ways. See Making Waves (Guide) for details.
See Bizarre, Dreaded, Respectable (Guide) for details on the best way to raise BDR.
If you have at least one point of Notability, and enough BDR + Making Waves, you can also immediately draw the card in your Lodgings on Attend to Matters of Society!
Uses of Notability
The two primary uses for Notability when you're A Person of Some Importance are to unlock advanced Professions and to become a Tier 2 PoSI.
- Tier 1 Professions to Tier 2: Requires 2 Notability and progress through relevant stories
- Tier 2 Professions to Tier 3: Requires 5 Notability, story qualities, and high stats
See Professions (Guide) for the profession branches, and check the individual pages for the requirements of advancing it.
As a Tier 1 A Person of Some Importance, there are only a handful of ways to lose Notability:
- If your Making Waves is lower than your Notability when Time, the Healer comes, your Notability will be reduced by 1
- Throwing the Amanuensis out of your Lodgings
- Being arrested when your Criminal Record is 5 or higher
- Using your Entry to help Dr F____ or Fund the production of a notorious new ballet
- Closing an Orphanage or Salon
- Eloping, holding A hasty wedding or A hurried riverside ceremony
You may also spend varying amounts of Notability to advance A Person of Some Importance to Tier 2; to upgrade 4-card lodgings in A Sundered Sea at Christmas; to obtain a Vial of Tears of the Bazaar or Vial of Masters' Blood from the Portly Sommelier; to Insist on Favourable Circumstances; or to give another player a point of Notability.
Becoming a tier 2 Person of Importance
Once you have a level of 200 (unmodified) in one of your Main Attributes ( Persuasive, Watchful, Dangerous, or Shadowy), you can become a Tier 2 Person of Some Importance. There are 4 different types of Tier 2 PoSI, depending on the Attribute in which you have a level of 200. Advancement to this level of importance happens in the starting location associated with that Attribute, and requires a specific piece of equipment.
Advancement will cost 5 Notability.
Tier 2 A Person of Some Importance
Once you're a Tier 2 PoSI, you'll still be able to do everything you already could, with the addition of three new things:
Advancing your Lodgings
As a Tier 2 PoSI, you can upgrade a 4-card lodging to a 5-card lodging (at a rather immense cost) on the card associated with the lodging at any time of year.
You are now capable of giving a Masterclass in your specialized Attribute to a player who has less than 100 in that Attribute. This will give them a large boost in that Attribute and grant you some Making Waves.
Losing Tier 2
You can set your A Person of Some Importance back to Tier 1 in Your Lodgings by choosing the storylet Attend to Matters of Society! and the option A Reputation of Some Importance: Another Way. This will cost you 12 Notability. Why you would do that? Because it's the only way to choose a new Specialization, and therefore to raise all Attributes to 215. And that is necessary for the ultimate achievement: A Paramount Presence!
Becoming A Paramount Presence! 
Overcapping (the new way)
Main Guide: Raising Attribute Caps (Guide)
The new system instead requires you to do various quests involving the new content (Railway, Parabola, Lab) to get the main stat caps raised to 212 and then raise them up to that level in the same way as before 200. Once you've reached 212 in a stat and have the associated tier 2 PoSI you can proceed in the same way as before the overhaul.
Overcapping (the old way)
Wiki note: Outdated and no longer applies to the game.
To become A Paramount Presence! you first need to overcap all your Attributes to 215. This involves choosing a specialization (for 5 Notability), overcapping the Attribute to 215 (for 15 Notability), and then un-specializing (for 12 Notability). And you need to do this 4 times! Once you have overcapped a Attribute to 215 a new option will appear under Unfinished Business in each associated location to obtain a new quality, which will require endgame-level achievements.
The following are the options for obtaining each level of these qualities. Obtaining each quality costs 11 Notability; the branch requires 12, and you're left with 1 afterwards.
|The ultimate thrill||50 x Memento of Violence||London's Sinew 1 - Delight in Death!|
|A desire for freedom||Advancing the Liberation of Night 40||London's Sinew 2 - The Deadly force of Freedom|
|The advancement of my friends||Influence 90||London's Sinew 3 - A true companion!|
|You cherish your luxuries most|| 1 x An Infernally Diplomatic Privilege
||London's Blood 1 - Supreme in luxury!|
|You cherish your spouse|| 1 x Committed
||London's Blood 2 - Happy in love!|
|Your dreams|| Having Recurring Dreams: Death by Water 10
Having Recurring Dreams: What the Thunder Said 15
|London's Blood 3 - Living in dreams!|
|Wealth||1,000,000 x Penny (10,000 Echoes)||London's Marrow 1 - Money, Money, Money|
|Treasures|| 1 x Breath of the Void
||London's Marrow 2 - Jewels in your crown|
|Recognition|| Renown: Criminals 50
||London's Marrow 3 - Known to None and All|
|The mysteries of the heavens||A Scholar of the Correspondence 21||London's Nerves 1 - Starry wisdom|
|Your unusual companion||1 x Übergoat||FATE Locked|
|Your intellectual superiority|| The Boatman's Opponent 40
||London's Nerves 3 - Strategies beyond comprehension!|
Known to All
You are known by all London. To some you are notorious, to others famous. You are feared and envied and hated and adored. You are not universally liked, but every soul is in awe of you. Are you, perhaps, the greatest of Londoners?
Once you've obtained all four qualities mentioned above, a new universal storylet will appear called Known to All. Simply clicking on Accept the recognition that is your due will set your A Person of Some Importance to A Paramount Presence! Congratulations, you did it!
A Paramount Presence!
Your name will be remembered, long after London is forgotten beneath the Sixth City. Perhaps it will even be whispered in the Seventh. Beyond then - well, it hardly matters, does it?
By becoming A Paramount Presence, you've unlocked the ability to Teach London, which has two benefits:
- You can tutor a Protégé in two stats at once (either Watchful and Persuasive, or Dangerous and Shadowy); and
- You can invite any other player who's a patron to a private hansom ride, gaining a large amount of Making Waves at the cost of only a single action and Free Evening from both of you.
Apart from that, A Paramount Presence! doesn't do that much. Of course, the real reward is the fact that you made an immense achievement most people haven't. You have completed something that some people would think impossible. Once again, my congratulations on reaching this level! I raise my glass of fungal wine in a toast to your Paramount Presence!