Ambition: Light Fingers (Guide)
This page may contain spoilers for Ambitions or other major storylines.
Before you came down here, you heard through a contact here that she had a line on a diamond 'the size of a cow'. She did tend to exaggerate. But even if it's only the size of, say, a pig, or even a kitten, it's worth your time.
Ambition: Light Fingers! starts out as a heist story and turns into something much darker, and as such is the only Ambition that offers players a free opportunity to switch to another Ambition. The main attributes are Shadowy and Persuasive.
This Ambition can be started in Spite with Shadowy 6. You can check your progress at any time on the Myself tab under Ambition; the number after the Ambition title is the part of the story you're currently on. This can be helpful when you're unsure where to go next; just find the corresponding part number below.
Searching for the Fading Music-Hall Singer (0–16)
0–2: Track down your contact, the Fading Music-Hall Singer, in Spite.
- 0: Ambition: Light Fingers! 0: The Fading Music-Hall Singer once told you about a massive diamond. Where is she now? ( Shadowy 6)
- 1: Ambition: Light Fingers! 1: Look for her at Mahogany Hall. ( Persuasive 10)
- 2: Figure out where she lives.
3–5: Investigate the Painting Fragment in Veilgarden.
- 3: Ambition: Light Fingers! 3: Do some subtle poking-around ( Persuasive 19).
- 4: Track down the painter.
- 5: Ambition: Light Fingers! 5 in Veilgarden: Talk to the painter ( Persuasive 25).
6–11: Mr Fires' Representative in Wolfstack Docks
- 6: Ambition: Light Fingers! 6: Follow Mr Fires' representative ( Shadowy 30).
- 7–8: What was a representative of Mr Fires doing in that churchyard? You can either ask someone (2 actions), or find out firsthand (1 action).
- 9: Ambition: Light Fingers! 9: Find a way into the representative's house ( Shadowy 43).
- 10: Ambition: Light Fingers! 10: Question him ( Persuasive 43).
- 11: Ambition: Light Fingers! 11: A clue... of sorts?
15–16: Search The Forgotten Quarter for the Faded Music-Hall Singer.
- 15: Ambition: Light Fingers – Searching the Forgotten Quarter: You'll need 8 x Amanita Sherry, 25 x Soul, 150 x Bottle of Greyfields 1879, and 20 x Relic of the Fourth City to go searching for the singer.
- 16: Ambition: Light Fingers! 16: Inspect the scene ( Shadowy 52).
A Mystery of Sisters (17–36)
17–18a: Listen to the singer in Veilgarden
- 17: Ambition: Light Fingers! 17: Try to get some sense out of her ( Persuasive 57) and obtain the Locket Depicting Twin Sisters.1
- 18: Ambition: Light Fingers! 18a: Listen to her songs to increase your Nightmares until you reach A state of some confusion.
18b–19: A state of some confusion
- 18: Ambition: Light Fingers! 18b: If you have any F.F. Gebrandt's Tincture of Vigour, you can trade that to reduce Nightmares (-1 CP); otherwise, you'll need to take another hit of Nightmares (+10 CP) and lose a little Persuasive (-5 CP).
- 19: Ambition: Light Fingers! 19: Find out who's been watching you ( Shadowy 57).
- Now you'll need to reduce your Nightmares to 0 in order to return to London proper.
20–21: The Drownies at Wolfstack Docks
- 20: Ambition: Light Fingers! 20: Follow up on what you learned from the maid; requires 500 x Shard of Glim.
- 21: Ambition: Light Fingers! 21: Learn about the Drownies' songs ( Shadowy 62) to obtain the Drownie Song of the Deep.
22–24: The singer is recovering in Veilgarden
- 22: Ambition: Light Fingers! 22: Visit with the singer at Hephaesta's ( Persuasive 62).
- 23: Ambition: Light Fingers! 23: Find out who knows the location of the jewel for 200 x Fistful of Surface Currency.
- 24: Ambition: Light Fingers! 24: Look into this "Poor Edward" ( Persuasive 67).
- Bribe the carnies with 400 x Moon-Pearl, OR
- Sneak after him ( Shadowy 67), OR
- Get friendly with the carnies ( Persuasive 67)
- You keep the Rostygold if you succeed; if you fail, you go immediately to New Newgate Prison (and will need to reduce Suspicion to 0 in order to escape again).
28–29: Searching Winewound Heath, beginning at Your Lodgings
30–32: Do some poking around at Wolfstack Docks
- 30: Ambition: Light Fingers! 30: Ask around ( Persuasive 77).
- 31: Ambition: Light Fingers! 31: Get the Avuncular Engineer to tell you about the dirigible Poor Edward uses.
- Spend 20 x Appalling Secret and 8 x Memory of Distant Shores, OR
- Spend 2 x Memory of Distant Shores and 5 x Hastily Scrawled Warning Note
- Between now and the end of the next (Orphanage) section, you can use the tea-leaves to forget this Ambition and choose another. If you don't use the tea-leaves by part 47 (The Escape), you will lose them.
The Orphanage (37–47)
You will cross the Labyrinth to get the The Orphanage.
If you get caught during this journey ( Attracting Attention in the Orphanage 6), you will be Buried Alive. To escape, you can either slowly increase your wounds until you die, and embark on A boat trip, or you can Tug the root, which is a much quicker escape, but requires Attending to the Needs of a Singular Plant 5. So take your botany hobby seriously before entering the Labyrinth!
To enter, you need at least 800 x Foxfire Candle Stub. These aren't consumed upon entry; instead, each step consumes 50 of them, and if you cannot make enough progress, your only option is to leave, and lose all progress. So it's best to over-provision, and come in with maybe 2000x candle stubs. Oversupplied candles are not lost, and can later be used for other things.
37–39: The Labyrinth
- 37: Ambition: Light Fingers! The Labyrinth in Spite, needs at least 800 x Foxfire Candle Stub, moves you to the shadows of the Orphanage.
- Ambition: Light Fingers! Navigating the labyrinth, where you have three options that each consume 50 x Foxfire Candle Stub regardless of outcame, and advance the Ambition: Light Fingers! quality by 9CP on success, until it reaches 40, so you need 13 successes to advance to the next step. Each iteration offers these options:
- 110 Shadowy check
- 5 x London Street Sign
- 30 x Foxfire Candle Stub, 3 A Scholar of the Correspondence
- Steal his Uniform, 117 Shadowy check
- Bribe him, 96 Persuasive needs 500 x Piece of Rostygold which you lose even on failure
45: Inside the Orphanage, where you must ...
- raise Exploring the Orphanage to 1 before you can enter Room 839 and pass a 131 Shadowy challenge to gain a Orphanage Roof Key
- raise Exploring the Orphanage to 6 before you can enter Room 547 and pass a 124 Persuasive challenge
- enter Room 316
- play Ambition: Light Fingers! The Escape
During this time, you can leave the orphanage and come back at will. You should avoid Room 101, which only brings you pain; Orwell would be proud.
Dr Vaughan's Encampment (48–54)
Make sure to check all the requirements from this section before Zailing, for example you have no option to lower your Scandal or obtain many of the required items after you have left London.
48–49: Ambition: Light Fingers! - Taking Care of Clarabelle (Back to London), 127 Persuasive challenge
54: Ambition: Light Fingers! Scientific Requirements (Requires 1 x Nodule of Warm Amber, 24 x Amanita Sherry, 20 x Correspondence Plaque, 2 x Puzzle-Damask Scrap, 20 x Aeolian Scream, 2 x Whirring Contraption)
Preparing an Expedition to the Roof (55-65)
Getting Ready to Fly (you need three points):
- Light Fingers: Acquire Moon-Miser Snaring Supplies 9000 x Shard of Glim, 3 x Strong-Backed Labour, 1 x Primaeval Hint
- A crew through one of these:
- A Zeppelin through one of these:
Castles in the Ceiling (70–160)
You will use your Zeppelin to visit and milk the moon-mother.
You can return to London for the cost of five actions, and go back to the Castles in the Ceiling for another action. You'll have to do this round-trip at least once to lower your Nightmares, and more often if you don't have the items prepared that you need to advance.
70: Light Fingers: Intrusion, needs one of:
- Ancient Hunting Rifle, which you lose if you fail a Dangerous 200 challenge
- 3x Puzzling Map, of which you lose 2
75: Light Fingers: Through the Dead, needs one of:
- Light Fingers: Lonely as a Cloud (5x, adds Nightmares 1 CP each time)
- Light Fingers: The Thick of It, needs one of:
- 100–115: Light Fingers: The Citadel Requires
- 110: Light Fingers: Mother Star
The Skin of the Sun (165–190)
175: Light Fingers: A Painstaking Descent Needs one of:
- Profession: Monster-Hunter (works only the first time)
- 20 x Memory of Light, 4 x Extraordinary Implication, Locked with Nightmares 3
- Glasswork 4 Challenge, 20 x Memory of Light, 20 x Tale of Terror!!, Locked with Nightmares 3
190: Light Fingers: A Perilous Pilgrimage Requires one of
Parabolan Base-Camp (195–240)
Parabola is a dream-land behind the mirrors, and you will need to gain access to it to advance your Ambition.
If you already have access to a Parabolan Base-Camp, this part will be easy. If not, you have basically two options:
- Are or become a Silverer (Profession), then you need:
- Otherwise, you need:
The Parabola (Guide) has some hints as to how to obtain the necessary items, and what other preparations you can make to enter Parabola. If you go there for the ambition, nothing stops you from doing other business there.
In the course of this ambition, you will be jumping a lot between London and Parabola; each time you enter, it costs 100 x Drop of Prisoner's Honey, or 50 of them if you are a Silverer. It might be worth it change your profession for that, and for unlocking Parabola in the first place.
215: Light Fingers: Bring Dr Vaughan and Clara to Safety 35 x Memory of Light, plus another 15 x Memory of Light for each time you fail a 180 Shadowy challenge,
- 1 x Night-Trimmed Frock Coat
- 50 x F.F. Gebrandt's Superior Laudanum
- 100 x Bottle of Strangling Willow Absinthe
- 100 x Compromising Document
- 1 x Favours: Constables
Failing the challenge consumes some of the resources.
An Old Enemy (245–275)
You will lay a trap for Poor Edward to free Hephaesta; afterwards you bring her to your Parabolan Base-Camp where she can recover from being drugged.
275: Light Fingers: A Shelter from the Zee (back in Parabolan Base-Camp) Needs one of:
Preparing an Impossible Birth (279–284)
You will need to a arrange a Counterfeit Constellation, and reunite the sisters, which involves, depending on your previous choices, tracking down the Faded Music-hall singer by spending favours and cryptic clues, or dying and convincing the Boatman to let you take her back. If you go this route, and plan to persuade the Boatman, make sure you assemble all the necessary Unusual and Touching Love-Stories before you die, and also get rid (convert, sell or use) your Romantic Notions, since you lose them if you fail the check.
279–284: Light Fingers: Necessities
- Light Fingers: The Song, the Sap, the Stars
- Light Fingers: The Fading Music-hall Singer If you have Remembering the Orphanage exactly 1, you need:
- Light Fingers: The Search for Stalactite Nectar
- Light Fingers: A Counterfeit Constellation, needs one of:
- Light Fingers: Stars Across the Zee
- Light Fingers: Stars Across the Zee 2
- Light Fingers: Die If you have Remembering the Orphanage exactly 2, you need to
- Stabilize your Horse-Head Amulets so that they don't protect you from dying (you can later get them back in their active form)
- Die, either by spending 5000 x Piece of Rostygold, or by naturally accumulating Wounds until it reaches 8. An easier way is Gaze into Heart's Mirror at Mrs Plenty's Carnival.
- Bring the Faded Music-hall Singer back (see next step)
- Light Fingers: The Faded Music-hall Singer, Deceased needs one of:
- Light Fingers: A Sisterly Reunion back at Parabolan Base-Camp
Poor Edward and Mr. Fires (285–309)
You still need a Moon-Silk Swaddling for the birth of hybrid, and Mr. Fires is the only one who can provide it.
He proposes a deal: Remember that, in the beginning, it was all about a diamond the size of a cow? He'll give you that, in exchange for the hybrid -- after it has been born, of course.
287: (Only applies if you didn't agree to play along marrying Poor Edward)
- Seek out Jasper and Frank to offer a bribe, needs 300 x Cryptic Clue which you lose (and have to spend again) if you fail a 176 Shadowy challenge.
- Light Fingers: Bribing Jasper and Frank, needs 2000 x Jade Fragment, 10 x Sapphire, 3 x Blackmail Material
295: Light Fingers: The Painted Door, needs one of:
The Birthing (310–345)
The Raising (350–360)
350: Light Fingers: A Family Visit Five times you have to wait 24 hours and then feed the hybrid a Nodule of Pulsating Amber and other things, see Light Fingers: A Family Visit for details. Your choice of supplied food influences whether it comes out more monster-like or more human-like.
You go to sleep, and have a very nasty dream where you meet Poor Edward, and wake up to find the hybrid stolen from the Parabolan Base-Camp.
- Light Fingers: Finding Hephaesta, 100 x Foxfire Candle Stub at a 180 Shadowy challenge; you lose half on failure.
- Light Fingers: Mr Fires' Henchmen, 300 x Drop of Prisoner's Honey (half of that if you are a Silverer), 10 x Bottle of Morelways 1872
You have to reclaim the Hybrid, and for that you need help (which in turn costs lots of resource, once again).
First you need
If you seek help from the Duchess, you'll do
- Light Fingers: A Word to the Duchess
- Light Fingers: A Session of the Court of Cats, needs 1000 x Rat on a String, 1 x Searing Enigma, 5 x Sworn Statement, 1 x Entry in Slowcake's Exceptionals
- Light Fingers: A Title is Bestowed, gives Lyon Pursuivant of Arms Extraordinary (Affiliation)
Your other option is to find and appease the Boil of Calamities:
- Light Fingers: Seeking the Boil of Calamities in The Dome of Scales
- Light Fingers: Access to the King's Chambers, needs
- Light Fingers: The Tribute, needs 1x Ravenglass Knife, gives Tatterskin Shawl (Clothing)
Then you need to Check your preparations are complete, which requires
- 1 x Ratwork Derringer
- Parabolan Defences 2 (see Build up your Base-Camp)
- 1 x Infernal Sharpshooter's Rifle
- 10 x Storm-Threnody
- 10 x Skyglass Knife
Take heart, this is the last (or second to last, depending on a later choice) big item investment into this ambition. You're nearly there!
The Hybrid's Fate (405–End)
405: Light Fingers: The Hybrid's Fate: Choose wisely.
- Handing over the Hybrid to Mr. Fires
- 1000: Light Fingers: Out of Parabola
- 1010: Light Fingers: A Jewel for a Jewel Gives you
- Smuggling the Hybrid Away
- 2000: Light Fingers: Back to London
- 2010: Light Fingers: A Rendezvous with Dr Vaughan, needs
- 2020: Light Fingers: A Rendezvous with Dr Vaughan 2, needs
- 2030: Light Fingers: Burying a Child, needs 1 x Mourning Candle
- 2040: Light Fingers: Undercover, needs 200 x Cryptic Clue
- 2050: Light Fingers: Dr Vaughan's Dilemma
- 2060: Light Fingers: Free Gives you:
Unlike the other Ambitions, there is no need to wait 24 hours for a resolution. You have already waited for several days when the Hybrid was growing up.
Have Hephaesta complete her moon-milk withdrawal and complete her acquisition of zee-knowledge - and gain some research assistance.
Eventually, Hephaesta recovers, and she becomes a potential research assistant.
There is also the rewards from your completed Ambition: The Rewards of Ambition. This repeats every four weeks afterwards.
In addition, you can receive the following BDR items during the ambition, depending on your choices:
- Smiling Mask (Hat)
- Lyon Pursuivant of Arms Extraordinary (Affiliation, from asking the Duchess and the cats for help) OR Tatterskin Shawl (Clothing) and A Loyal Nightmare of Poor Edward (Affiliation), both from going with the Boil of Calamities instead)
- ONE of these:
- A Kitten-Sized Diamond, Liberated from the Mountain (Home Comfort, from handing over the hybrid to Mr. Fires)
- A False-Star of your Own (Companion, from setting the hybrid free instead). This gives two new, options while Zailing, both of which can reduce Troubled Waters:
This is an attempt to list all possible items needed in Light Fingers, for help with planning. The quantities listed are the fewest you can get away with (min), and the most you will need (max). This list only includes items that can be found outside of this Ambition; items like the Painting Fragment that are unique to Light Fingers are listed elsewhere. This does not include all the Drop of Prisoner's Honey that you need to enter Parabola.
- The Rifle is not spent on success, but failure does not advance the Ambition.
- Requires 5 which are spent on success, but failure costs 5 and does not advance the Ambition.
- Requires 100 which are spent on success, but failure costs 65 and does not advance the Ambition.
- Not spent
- Requires 100 which are spent on success, but failure costs 20 and does not advance the Ambition.
- Requires 1 which is spent on success, but failure also costs 1 and does not advance the Ambition.
- Requires 5000 which are spent on success, but failure costs 1000 and does not advance the Ambition.
- Requires 300 which are spent on success, but failure also costs 300 and does not advance the Ambition.
- Requires 100 which are spent on success, but failure also costs 100 and does not advance the Ambition.
- Requires 50 which are spent on success, but failure costs 1 and does not advance the Ambition.
- Requires 3 which are spent on success, but failure costs 1 and does not advance the Ambition.
- Requires 800 to enter the Labyrinth, but as few as 650 can be spent with extremely lucky checks, or 750 using only Attribute checks.
- 50 are spent with each attempt, progress is only made on success, and leaving the labyrinth resets all progress without refunding the Stubs spent.
- Requires 100 which are spent on success, but failure costs 50 without advancing the Ambition.
- Requires 200 Rostygold but it is not lost on success.
- Requires 3 to unlock but only spends 2.