Ambition: Light Fingers (Guide)
This page may contain spoilers for Ambitions or other major storylines.
|This article is a work-in-progress |
This is the basic outline of this guide. Anyone is welcome to contribute to fleshing it out. To get an idea of what is needed, refer to Ambition: Bag a Legend (Guide) or Ambition: Heart's Desire (Guide).
Before you came down here, you heard through a contact here that she had a line on a diamond 'the size of a cow'. She did tend to exaggerate. But even if it's only the size of, say, a pig, or even a kitten, it's worth your time.
Ambition: Light Fingers! starts out as a heist story and turns into something much darker, and as such is the only Ambition that offers players a free opportunity to switch to another Ambition. The main attributes are Shadowy and Persuasive.
This Ambition can be started in Spite with Shadowy 6. You can check your progress at any time on the Myself tab under Ambition; the number after the Ambition title is the part of the story you're currently on. This can be helpful when you're unsure where to go next; just find the corresponding part number below.
Searching for the Fading Music-Hall Singer (0–16)
0–2: Track down your contact, the Fading Music-Hall Singer, in Spite.
- 0: Ambition: Light Fingers! 0: The Fading Music-Hall Singer once told you about a massive diamond. Where is she now? ( Shadowy 6)
- 1: Ambition: Light Fingers! 1: Look for her at Mahogany Hall. ( Persuasive 10)
- 2: Figure out where she lives.
3–5: Investigate the Painting Fragment in Veilgarden.
- 3: Ambition: Light Fingers! 3: Do some subtle poking-around ( Persuasive 19).
- 4: Track down the painter.
- 5: Ambition: Light Fingers! 5 in Veilgarden: Talk to the painter ( Persuasive 25).
6–11: Mr Fires' Representative in Wolfstack Docks
- 6: Ambition: Light Fingers! 6: Follow Mr Fires' representative ( Shadowy 30).
- 7–8: What was a representative of Mr Fires doing in that churchyard? You can either ask someone (2 actions), or find out firsthand (1 action).
- 9: Ambition: Light Fingers! 9: Find a way into the representative's house ( Shadowy 43).
- 10: Ambition: Light Fingers! 10: Question him ( Persuasive 43).
- 11: Ambition: Light Fingers! 11: A clue... of sorts?
15–16: Search The Forgotten Quarter for the Faded Music-Hall Singer.
- 15: Ambition: Light Fingers – Searching the Forgotten Quarter: You'll need 8 x Amanita Sherry, 25 x Soul, 150 x Bottle of Greyfields 1879, and 20 x Relic of the Fourth City to go searching for the singer.
- 16: Ambition: Light Fingers! 16: Inspect the scene ( Shadowy 52).
A Mystery of Sisters (17–36)
17–18a: Listen to the singer in Veilgarden
- 17: Ambition: Light Fingers! 17: Try to get some sense out of her ( Persuasive 57) and obtain the Locket Depicting Twin Sisters.1
- 18: Ambition: Light Fingers! 18a: Listen to her songs to increase your Nightmares until you reach A state of some confusion.
18b–19: A state of some confusion
- 18: Ambition: Light Fingers! 18b: If you have any F.F. Gebrandt's Tincture of Vigour, you can trade that to reduce Nightmares (-1 CP); otherwise, you'll need to take another hit of Nightmares (+10 CP) and lose a little Persuasive (-5 CP).
- 19: Ambition: Light Fingers! 19: Find out who's been watching you ( Shadowy 57).
- Now you'll need to reduce your Nightmares to 0 in order to return to London proper.
20–21: The Drownies at Wolfstack Docks
- 20: Ambition: Light Fingers! 20: Follow up on what you learned from the maid; requires 500 x Shard of Glim.
- 21: Ambition: Light Fingers! 21: Learn about the Drownies' songs ( Shadowy 62) to obtain the Drownie Song of the Deep.
22–24: The singer is recovering in Veilgarden
- 22: Ambition: Light Fingers! 22: Visit with the singer at Hephaesta's ( Persuasive 62).
- 23: Ambition: Light Fingers! 23: Find out who knows the location of the jewel for 200 x Fistful of Surface Currency.
- 24: Ambition: Light Fingers! 24: Look into this "Poor Edward" ( Persuasive 67).
- Bribe the carnies with 400 x Moon-Pearl, OR
- Sneak after him ( Shadowy 67), OR
- Get friendly with the carnies ( Persuasive 67)
- You keep the Rostygold if you succeed; if you fail, you go immediately to New Newgate Prison (and will need to reduce Suspicion to 0 in order to escape again).
28–29: Searching Winewound Heath, beginning at Your Lodgings
30–32: Do some poking around at Wolfstack Docks
- 30: Ambition: Light Fingers! 30: Ask around ( Persuasive 77).
- 31: Ambition: Light Fingers! 31: Get the Avuncular Engineer to tell you about the dirigible Poor Edward uses.
- Spend 20 x Appalling Secret and 8 x Memory of Distant Shores, OR
- Spend 2 x Memory of Distant Shores and 5 x Hastily Scrawled Warning Note
- Between now and the end of the next (Orphanage) section, you can use the tea-leaves to forget this Ambition and choose another. If you don't use the tea-leaves by part 47 (The Escape), you will lose them.
The Orphanage (37–47)
You will cross the Labyrinth to get the The Orphanage.
If you get caught during this journey ( Attracting Attention in the Orphanage 6), you will be Buried Alive. To escape, you can either slowly increase your wounds until you die, and embark on A boat trip, or you can Tug the root, which is a much quicker escape, but requires Attending to the Needs of a Singular Plant 5. So take your botany hobby seriously before entering the Labyrinth!
The Labyrinth has pretty tough Shadowy challenges, so maybe arm yourself with Hastily Scrawled Warning Note or two (or more), and have low Wounds and Nightmares when entering.
37–39: The Labyrinth
- 37: Ambition: Light Fingers! The Labyrinth in Spite
- Ambition: Light Fingers! Navigating the labyrinth
45: Inside the Orphanage
46: Room 316
Dr Vaughan's Encampment (48–54)
Make sure to check all the requirements from this section before Zailing, for example you have no option to lower your Scandal or obtain many of the required items after you have left London.
48–49: Ambition: Light Fingers! - Taking Care of Clarabelle (Back to London)
54: Ambition: Light Fingers! Scientific Requirements (Requires 1 x Nodule of Warm Amber, 24 x Amanita Sherry, 20 x Correspondence Plaque, 2 x Puzzle-Damask Scrap, 20 x Aeolian Scream, 2 x Whirring Contraption)
Preparing an Expedition to the Roof (55-65)
- Getting Ready to Fly
- Light Fingers: Acquire Moon-Miser Snaring Supplies 9000 x Shard of Glim, 3 x Strong-Backed Labour, 1 x Primaeval Hint
- Light Fingers: Hire University Students for your Crew 1250 x Whispered Hint, 2 x Antique Mystery, 2 x Cellar of Wine
- Light Fingers: Hire Rubbery Men for your Crew 1250 x Nodule of Deep Amber, 5 x Nodule of Trembling Amber
- Light Fingers: Steal a Prison Zeppelin 125 x Flask of Abominable Salts, 5 x Aeolian Scream, 5 x Favours: Criminals, 5 x Favours: Constables
- Light Fingers: Ready the Market Beast
Castles in the Ceiling (70–160)
The Skin of the Sun (165–190)
Parabolan Base Camp (195–240)
An Old Enemy (245–275)
Preparing an Impossible Birth (279–284)
279–284: Light Fingers: Necessities
- Light Fingers: The Song, the Sap, the Stars
- Light Fingers: The Fading Music-hall Singer
- Light Fingers: The Search for Stalactite Nectar
- Light Fingers: A Counterfeit Constellation
- Light Fingers: Stars Across the Zee
- Light Fingers: Stars Across the Zee 2
- Light Fingers: Die
- Light Fingers: The Faded Music-hall Singer, Deceased
- Light Fingers: A Sisterly Reunion
Poor Edward and Mr. Fires (285–309)
The Birthing (310–345)
The Raising (350–360)
- Light Fingers: A Word to the Duchess OR Light Fingers: Seeking the Boil of Calamities
- Light Fingers: A Session of the Court of Cats OR Light Fingers: Access to the King's Chambers
- Light Fingers: A Title is Bestowed OR Light Fingers: The Tribute
The Hybrid's Fate (405–End)
405: Light Fingers: The Hybrid's Fate: Choose wisely.
- Handing over the Hybrid to Mr. Fires
- Smuggling the Hybrid Away
Unlike the other Ambitions, there is no need to wait 24 hours for a resolution. You have already waited for several days when the Hybrid was growing up.
Have Hephaesta complete her moon-milk withdrawal and complete her acquisition of zee-knowledge - and gain some research assistance.
Eventually, Hephaesta recovers, and she becomes a potential research assistant.
There is also the rewards from your completed Ambition: The Rewards of Ambition. This repeats every four weeks afterwards.
This is an attempt to list all possible items needed in Light Fingers, for help with planning. The quantities listed are the fewest you can get away with (min), and the most you will need (max). This list only includes items that can be found outside of this Ambition; items like the Painting Fragment that are unique to Light Fingers are listed elsewhere.
- The Rifle is not spent on success, but failure does not advance the Ambition.
- Requires 5 which are spent on success, but failure costs 5 and does not advance the Ambition.
- Requires 100 which are spent on success, but failure costs 65 and does not advance the Ambition.
- Not spent
- Requires 100 which are spent on success, but failure costs 20 and does not advance the Ambition.
- Requires 1 which is spent on success, but failure also costs 1 and does not advance the Ambition.
- Requires 5000 which are spent on success, but failure costs 1000 and does not advance the Ambition.
- Requires 300 which are spent on success, but failure also costs 300 and does not advance the Ambition.
- Requires 100 which are spent on success, but failure also costs 100 and does not advance the Ambition.
- Requires 50 which are spent on success, but failure costs 1 and does not advance the Ambition.
- Requires 3 which are spent on success, but failure costs 1 and does not advance the Ambition.
- Requires 800 to enter the Labyrinth, but as few as 650 can be spent with extremely lucky checks, or 750 using only Attribute checks.
- 50 are spent with each attempt, progress is only made on success, and leaving the labyrinth resets all progress without refunding the Stubs spent.
- Requires 100 which are spent on success, but failure costs 50 without advancing the Ambition.
- Requires 200 Rostygold but it is not lost on success.
- Requires 3 to unlock but only spends 2.