This guide tries to cover the basic mechanics of zailing.
Getting a ship
In order to own a ship, you must be A Person of Some Importance. Until then, you may travel to Polythreme via A Ticket to Polythreme at the Wolfstack Docks, or to Mutton Island via Board (only during the Fruits of the Zee Festival).
Once you're a PoSI, you can start working towards Acquiring a Ship. The PoSI Item Crafting guide includes details on getting ships. It is generally recommended to start with the Rusty Tramp Steamer, as the Clipper, Zub, and Yacht are significantly more expensive. It is possible to trade in ships at any time.
- Majestic Pleasure Yacht has Zailing Speed +55 and Luxurious +1. It also has Respectable +2.
- Rusty Tramp Steamer has Zailing Speed +45
- Swift Zee-clipper has Zailing Speed +75. This is the fastest ship available.
- Zubmarine has Zailing Speed +55 and Zubmersibility +1. It also has Bizarre +1.
Zailing is done on non-discardable opportunity cards. Most cards will provide Zailing... equal to your ship's Zailing Speed and half of that on some failures and other options. They might also give you menaces (see the menace section) or material rewards. For zailing to a new region, you will either zail with the currents or against them. The currents go counter-clockwise on the map, as can be seen on the model below. Experienced zailors may also zail through the Snares (DON'T DO THIS EARLY ON). Once you have reached your region you will zail directly to your new location.
The table below shows how much progress is needed to reach the next region or your chosen area. Options that give half speed are considered 0.5 actions.
|Zailing direction||Zailing... needed||Actions to next region/your area|
|Rusty Tramp Steamer||Majestic Pleasure Yacht||Zubmarine||Swift Zee-clipper|
|Along the Currents||160||4||3||3||2.5|
|Against the Currents||220||5||4||4||3|
|Through the Snares||160||4||3||3||2.5|
The Broad Unterzee is divided in several different regions. Each has its own difficulty, also known as Zee Peril. Most challenges in main attributes ( Watchful, Shadowy etc.) are equal to this. Other challenges may also be based on this.
|Region (Current 🠗)||Zee Peril||Notes|
|Shepherd's Wash||110||Southern Wind is found here|
|The Sea of Voices||150|
|The Salt Steppes||200|
|The Pillared Sea||210|
|Stormbones||110||Northern Wind is found here|
|Between the regions|
The following table shows the different areas, based on region and additional requirements or notes. See the location guide for a more in-depth guide to the locations. Safe ports remove Troubled Waters and all zee-threat qualities upon docking.
The Broad Unterzee is full of menaces. Some of these are just general menaces, while some are more specific. These qualities (except for Wounds and Nightmares) are all removed when docking at a safe dock.
- If it reaches 7, you will begin to draw dark green cards depending on the other menace qualities you have.
- If it reaches 8: Tuesday, __th of ____, ____. This will give you A Demise at Zee: and either kill you or make you mad. The exact manner depends on your other menaces. After you have returned to London, you can regain access to your ship by meeting the crew at Wolfstack Docks at the cost of a single action.
- Gained when your crew experience certain hungers that will not easily be filled.
- Prevents you from choosing options on some opportunity cards.
- Together with Troubled Waters 7: A Worrying Appetite (black card)
- Gained when Zee-monsters notice you.
- Together with Troubled Waters 7: Signs of Pursuit
- Gained when your crew is afraid of something.
- Together with Troubled Waters 7: A Growing Concern
- Gained when damaging your ship.
- Together with Troubled Waters 7: Taking in Water
- Gained by disrespecting your crew.
- Together with Troubled Waters 7: Signs of Disloyalty
- When Nightmares reaches 8, you will go mad as usual. Storylet: Into Dark Water
- When Wounds reaches 8, you will take a trip to the river, after first visiting the Fathom-King. Storylet: Thursday,_th_of_,
These qualities allow you to dream new dreams in London. They first increase by 4 CP, then by 1 Cp per card. They do not reset when docking and once you have experienced the winds for the first time, more cards will increase it. Each finished dream storyline will give you Oneiric Pearl, reset the storyline and grant a special quality that will allow you to dismiss the related dream and clear it's wind once you draw the card again.
- Initially gained in Shepherd's Wash by fixing a looking-glass on the Mountain of Light. Subsequently also increased by other cards.
- Starts Having Recurring Dreams: I Shot the Albatross in London
- Initially gained in Stormbones by listening to the Wind of the North. Subsequently also available from other cards.
- Starts Having Recurring Dreams: Betwixt Us and the Sun in London
- Initially gained in The Salt Steppes when fixing a looking-glass on the Eastern horizon. Subsequently also available from other cards.
- Starts Having Recurring Dreams: Upon a Painted Sea in London
See this page for a list of all the opportunity cards at Zee.
Minimizing Troubled Waters
Below are the cards that do not increase Troubled Waters. Options that have a Challenge won't increase Troubled Waters on a success, but usually do increase it on failure, unless specified otherwise. Some cards also actually decrease Troubled Waters, whereas others just give 0 CP.
When reaching new regions you gain Zee Legs. These can be expended in Wolfstack Docks to improve your skill in Zeefaring. The required amount of Zee legs required increases based on the table below. Zeefaring is required in order to trace a route through the snares, where the Corsair's Forest lies. It can also be used to assemble Cartographer's Hoard and probably more.
|Zee Legs||Desired level|
|Starting level ↓||7||6||5||4||3||2||1|