Social Actions (Guide)
Social Actions are actions you undertake with a friend. There are two main types: those which you do in good faith, and those in which you betray your friend.
A Brief Overview of the Myself/Profile pages
Wiki note: This overview is meant for new players. Almost everybody should have at least an idea what their myself/profile page is. If that's the case feel free to skip forward a bit
The Myself page describes who you are. It is accessible on desktop by clicking on Myself (above the main story) and on mobile by clicking on the button with a head shape and then on Myself. On this page you'll find, among other things, your Scrapbook and your Mantelpiece. These are used to display qualities you're especially proud of. Underneath these two is a button labeled View Profile; click on it to open a new tab showing your profile.
This is how other players see you in-game. It is accessed by either clicking on the View Profile button on the Myself page, or via the URL https://www.fallenlondon.com/profile/(your character's name). This page shows, among other things, your current Equipment, Journal, Scrapbook and Mantelpiece, Lodgings, and Cameo. At the top of the page is your character's name and a description based on the levels of your Attributes.
If you already have an circle of Neathy friends, you're free to skip this part. Otherwise, there are three great ways to find friends:
- Convert your friends to Fallen London. If you convince people you know in real life to start playing this game as well, this gives you an already established group of friends.
- The official forums have an topic dedicated to finding new people. 
- The Fallen London subreddit  has a new thread every month to find new people to play with.
Okay, you've found someone who sounds pretty cool; how do you make them your friend?
- When viewing another player's profile, click the "add to contacts" button underneath their Cameo.
- On the Account Settings page, under Contacts, enter the player's in-game username and click Add. You can also access this screen while sending a social action (see below) and add a new contact then.
Sending Social Actions
An Interlude: Acquaintances
To become acquainted with another player character, you have to Send a Calling Card to them. This will make them your acquaintance and give you a single level of Social Influence. Social influence doesn't have a lot of in game effects, except:
- You can only have 90 Social Influence at a time. More than that and you'll need to drop acquaintances.
- Having 90 Social Influence is one of the possible requirements for London's Sinew, and therefore for Paramount Presence. However, considering that this is a beginner's guide, you really shouldn't be thinking about that just yet. (But if you're curious, check A Person of Some Importance (Guide) for details.)
Types of Social Actions
Many of the available social actions are listed below. Actions noted as "(betrayal)" have negative effects on the recipient, which they won't realize until they've accepted the action.
|Type of action||Dangerous||Persuasive||Shadowy||Watchful|
|Menace reduction||Nurse a friend back to health||Ask someone for help in laying rumours to rest||Ask a friend to cover for you||Assist your friend with their Nightmares|
|Menace reduction (betrayal)||Poison an acquaintance!||Use someone as your dupe||Dupe a friend into covering for you||Make scientific study of your friend's Nightmares|
|Challenge them to a contest/or do something else appropriate to the Attribute||Retired, formerly Sparring||Meet someone for a Coffee at Caligula's||Invite someone to a spot of Suspicious Loitering||Retired, formerly Chess|
|Patronage||Seek Patronage from a Shattering Force||Seek Patronage from a Legendary Charisma||Seek Patronage from an Invisible Eminence||Seek Patronage from an Extraordinary Mind|
You can also marry another player at the end of a series of Social Actions, all of which are sent from Attend to Matters of the Heart.
- You start with Admit your affection for an acquaintance, which, when they accept, will give you the quality Seen with. This will unlock romantic actions with them:
When you are ready to take things further with them, you can propose to them in two ways:
Once you've proposed, you will get Organising a Wedding; when it reaches high enough levels, you will have a choice of marriage ceremonies. You can also dump all the responsibility on your betrothed, using Foist the Organisation of your Wedding onto your partner.
Once you've married, you can do three new actions with your new spouse:
- Invite your spouse out for a decorous evening
- Invite your spouse to an indulgent evening out
- Invite your spouse to join you in sampling Prisoner's Honey (5 FATE)
And you can, of course divorce them, but that's sad, so I won't be going into it.
Feeling hungry? You can either dine in with a friend, or meet them in one of the city's reputable and devil-run restaurants. (You haven't really eaten until you've eaten brimstone-steaks.)
- Prepare a Private Supper for an Acquaintance: Gather ingredients, cook several courses, and invite an acquaintance for dinner. Or just serve them a severed poisoned head.
- Benefit from flattery at Dante's Grill: This option allows the recipient to drain up to 100 CP of Making Waves from the sender, while giving the sender a large reduction in Wounds and Suspicion. This is useful when done between a PoSI and a non-PoSI, as the latter has no use for Making Waves.
- Share a pot of tea at Beatrice's Tea Shop: Take tea, using a Free Evening, in order to raise Persuasive (35CP), gain Making Waves, and reduce your choice of one menace.
You may always have letters sent to you, but once your attributes reach 80, you're able to send post cards in order to reach new levels. Each of the basic post cards cost 2.5 in items and gives the recipient a whole level in the relevant attribute. As you read post cards, you will get Mired in Mail, and the effectiveness of this will start to be reduced, but it's still pretty effective until Mired in Mail 5-6. This will also get the sender Corresponding..., which can be exchanged for different rewards.
Once you have a high enough level of Attending to the Needs of a Singular Plant, you can duel other player's plants.