Social Actions (Guide)
Social Actions are actions you undertake with a friend. There are two main types: those which you do in good faith, and those in which you betray your friend.
A Brief Overview of the Myself/Profile pages
Wiki note: This overview is meant for new players. Almost everybody should have at least an idea what their myself/profile page is. If that's the case feel free to skip forward a bit
The Myself page describes who you are. It is accessible on desktop by clicking on Myself (above the main story) and on mobile by clicking on the button with a head shape and then on Myself. On this page you'll find, among other things, your Scrapbook and your Mantelpiece. These are used to display qualities you're especially proud of. Underneath these two is a button labeled View Profile; click on it to open a new tab showing your profile.
This is how other players see you in-game. It is accessed by either clicking on the View Profile button on the Myself page, or via the URL https://www.fallenlondon.com/profile/(your character's name). This page shows, among other things, your current Equipment, Journal, Scrapbook and Mantelpiece, Lodgings, and Cameo. At the top of the page is your character's name and a description based on the levels of your Attributes.
If you already have a circle of Neathy friends, you're free to skip this part. Otherwise, there are four great ways to find friends:
- Convert your friends to Fallen London. If you convince people you know in real life to start playing this game as well, this gives you an already established group of friends.
- The official forums have an topic dedicated to finding new people. 
- The Fallen London subreddit  has a new thread every month to find new people to play with.
- The official discord has a channel #social-actions where people ask for and offer help.
Okay, you've found someone who sounds pretty cool; how do you make them your friend?
- When viewing another player's profile, click the "add to contacts" button underneath their Cameo.
- On the Account Settings page, under Contacts, enter the player's in-game username and click Add. You can also access this screen while sending a social action (see below) and add a new contact then.
Sending Social Actions
An Interlude: Acquaintances
To become acquainted with another player character, you have to Send a Calling Card to them. This will make them your acquaintance and give you a single level of Social Influence. Social influence doesn't have a lot of in game effects, except:
- You can only have 90 Social Influence at a time. More than that and you'll need to drop acquaintances.
- Having 90 Social Influence is one of the possible requirements for London's Sinew, and therefore for Paramount Presence. However, considering that this is a beginner's guide, you really shouldn't be thinking about that just yet. (But if you're curious, check A Person of Some Importance (Guide) for details.)
Being acquainted is necessary for sending letters with in-game effects (such as raising the main qualities) and for invitations to Dante's Grill, but not for more casual interactions such as menaces help or social slights.
Types of Social Actions
Many of the available social actions are listed below. Actions noted as "(betrayal)" have negative effects on the recipient, which they won't realize until they've accepted the action.
Meances Reduction and Attribute Gains
|Type of action|| Dangerous
|Menace reduction||Nurse a friend back to health||Ask someone for help in laying rumours to rest||Ask a friend to cover for you||Assist your friend with their Nightmares|
|Menace reduction (betrayal)||Poison an acquaintance!||Use someone as your dupe||Dupe a friend into covering for you||Make scientific study of your friend's Nightmares|
|Something Attribute- appropriate (also contests, formerly)||Retired, formerly Sparring||Meet someone for a Coffee at Caligula's||Invite someone to a spot of Suspicious Loitering||Retired, formerly Chess|
|Patronage||Seek Patronage from a Shattering Force||Seek Patronage from a Legendary Charisma||Seek Patronage from an Invisible Eminence||Seek Patronage from an Extraordinary Mind|
You can also marry another player at the end of a series of Social Actions, all of which are sent from Attend to Matters of the Heart.
- You start with Admit your affection for an acquaintance, which, when they accept, will give you the quality Seen with. This will unlock romantic actions with them:
When you are ready to take things further with them, you can propose to them in two ways:
Once you've proposed, you will get Organising a Wedding; when it reaches high enough levels, you will have a choice of marriage ceremonies. You can also dump all the responsibility on your betrothed, using Foist the Organisation of your Wedding onto your partner.
Once you've married, you can do three new actions with your new spouse:
- Invite your spouse out for a decorous evening
- Invite your spouse to an indulgent evening out
- Invite your spouse to join you in sampling Prisoner's Honey (5 FATE)
And you can, of course divorce them, but that's sad, so I won't be going into it.
Feeling hungry? You can either dine in with a friend, or meet them in one of the city's reputable and devil-run restaurants. (You haven't really eaten until you've eaten brimstone-steaks.)
- Benefit from flattery at Dante's Grill: This option allows a PoSI to invite a non-PoSI to a dinner, at the cost of 10 echoes. The PoSI gains the recipient's Making Waves, up to 100 CP. The recipient gets a substantial (-10CP) reduction in Wounds, and either Suspicion or Scandal (recipient's choice). This uses up a Free Evening for both participants.
- Share a pot of tea at Beatrice's Tea Shop: Take tea, using a Free Evening, in order to raise Persuasive (35CP), gain Making Waves, and reduce your choice of one menace.
You may always have letters sent to you, but once your attributes reach 80, you're able to send post cards in order to reach new levels. Each of the basic post cards cost 2.5 in items and gives the recipient a whole level in the relevant attribute. As you read post cards, you will get Mired in Mail, and the effectiveness of this will start to be reduced, but it's still pretty effective until Mired in Mail 5-6. This will also get the sender Corresponding..., which can be exchanged for different rewards.
Slights and Assassins
There are situations where it might be advantageous to slight another player. The slighted player can then get revenge by hiring an assassin, which you will get as a non-dismissable opportunity card. Depending on your reaction to the assassin, you can die (go on A boat trip), or use the opportunity to raise some advanced qualities.
Too fast? Here's a slower version
Opportunity for Slights
You can slight a social rival in these circumstances:
- When Publishing a Newspaper, at exactly 4 Hour before the Deadline, you can choose A column revealing certain facts about an acquaintance at the cost of 5 x Scrap of Incendiary Gossip. It gives you 24 x Salacious Copy
- When attending a party, at exactly 5 Time Remaining... you can play Mingle with the Guests and then Spill wine on a social rival, which earns you +6 CP Talk of the Town
- On the A visit from Slowcake's Amanuensis opportunity card, the option Spread gossip about a rival costs 10-20 Scrap of Incendiary Gossip and An Identity Uncovered!, and gives you 10-20 CP Making Waves
The first two of these require you to be acquainted with your social rival, the option from Slowcake's Amanuensis does not.
You can send a note along with the slight, which will show up in the recipient's messages.
Once you have slighted someone else, you cannot slight them again until they have reacted to your slight.
Reactions to Social Slights
When somebody has slighted you, you can either Forgive and Forget (which raises your Scandal), or you can hire an assassin, and send them after the offender. You cannot hire an assassin that is currently tracking you.
|The Polite Poisoner||The Forgotten Quarter||250 x Piece of Rostygold, 2 x Muscaria Brandy|
|The Minacious Marksman||The Flit||250 x Piece of Rostygold, 2 x London Street Sign|
|The Gloomy Guttersnipe||Wolfstack Docks||250 x Piece of Rostygold, 2 x Aeolian Scream|
This gives you +15-25 CP Making Waves as well as Not to be Trifled With, a +3 Dreaded Affiliation that you can equip. Time, the Healer will take it away at its next visit, so it lasts for a week at most.
Effects of Assassins
If the slighted player sends an assassin after the offender, the offender will eventually get an opportunity card.
Each of these opportunity card gives three options:
- get killed
- fight off or evade the threat, which tends to be pretty profitable, even if not successful, and only gives a moderate amount of Wounds or another menace
- use one of the advanced qualities. You already need at least one point of the used quality to unlock this option. This raises the advanced quality by one point (except if you have reached the maximum), even on failure.
|Assassin||Card||Fight off success||Fight off failure||Advanced Quality success||Advanced Quality failure|
|The Polite Poisoner||A Curious Taste|
|The Minacious Marksman||A Crack of Gunfire!|
|The Gloomy Guttersnipe||A Sudden Shadow!|
In your social engagements, The Tournament of Lilies appears, where you can select a player whose plant is at the same tournament level as your own. Once they accept, a mixture of luck and Attending to the Needs of a Singular Plant level decides which plant wins. The winner ascends one level, the loser descends one.
When your plant reaches level 6 of the tournament, you can play A Cryptobotanical Champion! in your Lodgings to claim a prize.