Ambition: Nemesis (Guide)
This page may contain spoilers for Ambitions or other major storylines.
You can find a spoiler minimal version of this guide here: Ambition: Nemesis (Broad Guide)
Someone you loved is dead. You swore you'd scour the world for the killer. Your search brought you under the world.
This Ambition can be started in Ladybones Road with Watchful 6. You can check your progress at any time on the Myself tab under Ambition; the number after the Ambition title is the part of the story you're currently on.
This can be helpful when you're unsure where to go next; just find the corresponding part number below.
First steps (0–9)
Ladybones Road: Getting started
- Nemesis 0: Your search for your loved one's killer has brought you to the Neath. — Watchful 6.
- Nemesis 1: You have two clues. Find information on these odd petals. — Watchful 10.
Watchmaker's Hill: Meet with the Mumbling Bee-keeper.
- Nemesis 2: Convince the local monster-hunters to point you at the Mumbling Bee-keeper. — Dangerous 10.
- Nemesis 3: Pay off the Mumbling Bee-keeper's bar tab with 6 x Rat on a String.
- Nemesis 3a: Learn what the Mumbling Bee-keeper knows about these petals. — Watchful 15.
- Nemesis 4: Use 50 x Foxfire Candle Stub to make a bee repellent.
- Nemesis 4a: Search the Mumbling Bee-keeper's hive. — Dangerous 20.
- Nemesis 5: Find someone who can tell you about the Mumbling Bee-keeper's Key.
Veilgarden: Talk to the locksmith
- Finding Mackay: Find the locksmith. — Watchful 30.
- Reaching Mackay: Bring 120 x Drop of Prisoner's Honey and sell 60 of it to gain access to the honey-den.
- Interrogating Mackay: Get Mackay to tell you about the key.
- Who was it?: Who was it who died, that night?
The Forgotten Quarter / Red Honey (9) (optional if you have an Uncanny Incunabulum to spend later)
- Forgotten Quarter: Get directions to the crypt where Mackay stored the red honey — Dangerous 42
- Forgotten Quarter 1: Follow the map to the crypt — Watchful 43
- Forgotten Quarter 2: Get past the deviless guarding the crypt
- Forgotten Quarter 3: Search the crypt for Traces of Red Honey — Watchful 49
- Last traces: Get help making use of the Traces of Red Honey
- the Junior Fellow: Convince the Junior Fellow to speak with you
- Brewing up gaoler's honey: Use 350 x Drop of Prisoner's Honey, 10 x Bottled Oblivion, 5 x F.F. Gebrandt's Tincture of Vigour, and 100 x Jade Fragment to reactivate the Red Honey
- Taste Gaoler's Honey: Use the Drop of Gaoler's Honey in your inventory to enter the The Chambers of the Heart
The Cage-Garden (9-10)
- the Shuttered Palace: Bring a Set of Workman's Clothes to blend in and observe the servantry — Watchful 52
- the Shuttered Palace 1: Find out where the Jingling Servant goes every day
- the Shuttered Palace 2: Get the keys to the Cage-Garden
- the Shuttered Palace 3: Unlock the door to the Cage-Garden — Watchful 59
- the Shuttered Palace 4: Give the password to the Cage-Garden
- the Shuttered Palace 5: Get a tour of the Cage-Garden
- Take the tour, OR
- Strike the Cage-keeper down! — Dangerous 63
- the Shuttered Palace 6: Get information about Scathewick
If you strike the Cage-keeper down before questioning him:
- the Shuttered Palace 7: Free the prisoners by successfully battling your way through the bees 4 times, spending 100 x Foxfire Candle Stub per attempt — Dangerous 70
- the Shuttered Palace 8: Ask the newly-ex-prisoners about Scathewick
Wolfstack Docks: Catch a steamer to the tomb-colonies
- To Venderbight: Bring 120 x Silk Scrap, 40 x Maniac's Prayer, and Suspicion less than 5 to the Docks to get yourself on board
The tomb-colony of Venderbight: Hunt down Carrywell
- See Venderbight (Guide) for more info on this section.
Back in London (24-30)
Ladybones Road: Learning about the Iron Republic
- Ambition: Nemesis 24 - learning about the Iron Republic. Asked to give one of three:
For both Ambition: Nemesis 27 - The Dreaming Spires and for 30, you need a lot of honey. The first stage costs 2000 x Drop of Prisoner's Honey, while the latter stage costs 1500 x Drop of Prisoner's Honey
The Iron Republic (31-36)
To zail to the Iron Republic, you will need the following:
- Renown: Hell 10. Guide here: Raising Favours (Guide). One can grind Hell Favours by doing heists in The Flit. On a Heist (Guide)
- 1 x Brass Ring
- 3 x Mark of Credit Page
- This will take some time, so grind Counting the Days as soon as you can. Using the guide will help you progress through this carousel optimally without relying on opportunity cards.
- Once you have 3 x Mark of Credit Page, you do not need to spend another CtD carousel to get back to Obtain an Iron Republic Safe-Conduct, instead, use FIND NEW STORIES: Chat with the Local Gossip in your Lodgings.
Before you start your voyage, you will also want to have:
2 x Portfolio of Souls:
- See Infernal Grinding (Guide) for information on obtaining this
Now you are ready to enter the Iron Republic.
In the Iron Republic (31-36)
- 31: Tracking down a murderer, Iron Republic Days 78-88.
- 32: The Prison, Iron Republic Days 34-38. Stone Tentacle-Key is needed here.
- 33: Yellow Blood Day, Iron Republic Days 78-88. 2 x Portfolio of Souls are needed here.
- 34: A Little Talk, Iron Republic Days 78-88.
- 35: Ambition: Nemesis – Scathewick No More
- 36: Ambition: Nemesis – A Knife and an Envelope - pick them both up for an additional weapon.
Investigating in London (37-39)
Ambition: Nemesis – Scathewick's Accounts will task you with some investigations, where you will need to:
These tasks can be done in any order.
- Drawing a card: A Complication: Jasper and Frank (Card)
- Or going directly to The Clay Quarters and cycling The Airs of London until You cross paths with Jasper and Frank.
If the complication isn't dealt with, you will have to pay an extra price.
- 3 Stages
- Stage 1 costs 10 x Detective's Progress, 5 x Journal of Infamy and 1 x An Identity Uncovered!.
- Stage 2 costs 10 x Detective's Progress, a Favours: The Great Game, 1 x Extraordinary Implication and 1 x An Identity Uncovered!.
- Resolving the complication costs either:
- Stage 3 costs 10 x Detective's Progress, 3 x Night on the Town
- If you didn't resolve the complication, you have to spend a Night-Whisper, and favours with The Great Game and The Church
- 3 stages
- Stage 1 costs 10 x Detective's Progress, a Favours: Criminals and 2 x An Identity Uncovered!.
- Stage 2 costs 10 x Detective's Progress, 1 x Uncanny Incunabulum and 20 x Appalling Secret.
- Resolving the complication costs either:
- Stage 3 costs 10 x Detective's Progress, 1 x Puzzling Map, 1 x Book of Hidden Bodies and 250 x Cryptic Clue.
- If you didn't resolve the complication, you have to spend a Diary of the Dead
Scathewick's Correspondence Sign
- This step will require the following:
- In order to decrease the amount of items required, you are encouraged to level up A Scholar of the Correspondence as high as you can easily grind it (see: A Scholar of the Correspondence (Guide)).
- If you want to go past level 7, you may want to avoid being Banished from the Court - before hitting your desired level, so you can write Somewhat challenging music to increase it profitably. Alternatively get readmitted to the court.
- Level 8 is recommended, since that is the breakpoint for saving one of the Searing Enigma.
Unmasking your Nemesis (40-59)
You will be asked who your investigations point towards.
- This will cost 4 x Extraordinary Implication for each guess (3 options). Alternatively you can investigate more and spend 4 x Extraordinary Implication, 5 x Compromising Document and 1 x An Identity Uncovered! instead.
This group has to be further specified and this costs An Identity Uncovered! per guess, or 10 x Compromising Document, 2 x Volume of Collated Research, 2 x Extraordinary Implication if you want to investigate.
The Glistering Spires (60-99)
For this stage in your ambition you'll want the following:
- Ruthless + Heartless at least 10. Alternatively, 200 x Tale of Terror!!
- 20 x Thirsty Bombazine Scrap + 20 x Whisper-Satin Scrap
- 2 x Bejewelled Lens
- 2 x Primordial Shriek
For this stage, you must follow your bat to find back your memory. Your bat reached these 4 places:
- The place of coffee and fur, aka Heartscross House at Port Carnelian
- The place of orange sunlight, aka The Mirror-Marches (A mahogany-framed mirror allows for easy access)
- The place of red and gold, aka A state of some confusion (can be accessed easily from the Mirror-Marches via through A familiar scene?)
- The place of storms and skies, aka The Mind of a Long-Dead God (very difficult to reach, not recommended)
You only need to go to 3 of them progress the story
To do: fill out a lot more steps in between
The Book of Red Murder (160-190)
Search for the mirror-shard (190)
This is the notorious "Knifegate". You'll have to buy 77 Ravenglass Knife (15,769.60 E) or 777 Skyglass Knife (9,945.60E). Worse, either option involves a luck check and if you fail you still lose 1/7th of the knives.
You now have to use some animal friends to scout out and repair the mirror in the Bazaar. This involves a quality called Ambition: A Crack in the Veneer (abbreviated as ACitV) which starts out at zero and each attempt is a check on the same quality. You gain a bit with every attempt using the bats or the spiders (more on success, less on fail), plus Suspicion. You probably don't want to burn your frost-moth or Rattus Faber until it's high enough to give a good chance of success. You complete this storylet when A Mirror Made Whole is set to 5.
|Sulky Bat||ACitV 100||5 x ACitV
+1 CP Suspicion
|3 x ACitV
-1 x Sulky Bat +2CP Suspicion
|Fairly Tame Sorrow-Spider||ACitV 75||10 x ACitV
+1 CP Suspicion
|5 x ACitV
-1 x Fairly Tame Sorrow-Spider +2 CP Suspicion
|Complaisant Frost-Moth||ACitV 250||A Mirror Made Whole to 5||15 x ACitV|
|Rattus Faber Bandit-Chief||ACitV 200||A Mirror Made Whole to 5||5 x ACitV|
Through the Glass Darkly (200-214)
Next up you'll need to move through Parabola, which requires one of the following:
- Find your own way regardless
- 50 Memories of Light
- 50 Memories of Distant Shores
- Profession: Silverer
- Contact the Glass
- 1 Searing Enigma
- Embroiled in the Wars of Illusion 25
After that, you'll need a Night-Whisper and 3 Antique Mysteries to be shown the way. Silverers can get by for free.