Raising Favours (Guide)
Wiki note: See also Calling in Favours (Guide)
This guide lists the best repeatable methods in London for raising Favours for characters whose major qualities are 100 or more.
Faction Opportunity Cards
Each faction has its own Opportunity card which provides an option to gain 1 Favour.
Keep in mind, that Time, the Healer gives a single Favourable Circumstance each week (up to 1), which can be used to force-draw any of the faction cards, effectively giving you a single chosen Favour! (Just remember to have the item needed to redeem it, as leaving that card will waste your Circumstances!)
Connected Pet Cards
Each faction (with the exception of Rubbery Men) has its own pet which provides an Opportunity card, with an option to gain 1 Favour. You can only have one Connected Pet at a time.
|Pet Name||Stats||Favours||Pet Card||Reward|
|Hungover Terrier||+1 Bizarre||Bohemians|| 15 x|
|Preening Macaw||+1 Bizarre||Hell|| 3 x|
|Bandaged Raven||+1 Bizarre||Tomb-Colonies|| 3 x|
|Grubby Kitten||+1 Dreaded||Urchins|| 3 x|
|Subtle Mole||+1 Dreaded||The Great Game||3 x|
|Disappointing Marsh-Wolf||+1 Dreaded||Criminals||3 x|
|Maverick Bloodhound||+1 Dreaded||Constables||1 x, 1 x, 1 x|
|Tell-Tale Beetle||+1 Respectable||The Church||3 x|
|Taciturn Mynah||+1 Respectable||The Docks||3 x|
|Racing Slug of Fine Pedigree||+1 Respectable||Society||3 x|
|Partisan Messenger Tortoise||+1 Respectable||Revolutionaries||3 x|
While most Opportunity Cards from Items are based on its presence in your inventory, a handful of items will add a Card to the deck when equipped, by granting a level of a unique quality which unlocks the card. Many of these items are Affiliations, and many of their associated Cards grant a Favour. Paying close attention to your Affiliation will let you add one more Favour source to your deck.
If you care about these cards, be mindful about what Outfit you're wearing when drawing! As they share a slot, you may only add one such Card to your deck at a time. You may also remove all such cards from your deck by equipping a different Affiliation (or none at all).
Mrs Plenty's Carnival
If your Renown is less than 5, you can expend two actions and a Carnival Ticket to gain 3 CP and 1 Favour. You will also gain some Renown at the same time, so this cannot be used forever even if you otherwise keep Renown low. This method can be used for all currently-converted factions.
- The Church
- The Tomb-Colonies
- The Widow
- The Docks
- The Duchess
- The Great Game
- Rubbery Men
Static Actions and Storylets
The fact that most Favours are gained through Opportunity Cards can frustrate players with bad luck or poor RNG optimization. Fortunately, each faction's Favours can be gained without the RNG's interference through fixed storylets.
- Grinding for Notability and trading it for a Favourable Circumstance can allow you to force-draw any standard contact card. One is received per week from Time, the Healer, but getting more can be expensive depending on your Bizarre/Dreaded/Respectable rating.
- Favours: Bohemians can be obtained when you Book a reading from an Unsavoury Poet on Thursday in Mahogany Hall.
- Favours: Constables or Favours: The Church can be obtained reliably 3-at-a-time, by breeding the Hound of Heaven at the Labyrinth of Tigers. This requires repeated Zee trips to capture Plated Seals, and is recommended for Monster-Hunters as they can get an extra reward from each trip.
- Favours: Criminals can be obtained by going to prison and trading one Skyglass Knife per Favour. You can also Share what you've learned with a Second-Storey Man at the end of the Box of Intrigue carousel in Spite.
- Favours: Fingerkings can be obtained when you provide tribute at The Dome of Scales, Occupied consisting of a Reprehensible Lizard, Lucky Weasel, Lucky Weasel, or Seven-Throated Warbler.
- Favours: Hell can be obtained by Heisting The Circumspect Envoy's Townhouse, choosing anything except the set of wax tablets in The Envoy's Study, then Deliver the documents to the Brass Embassy afterwards. You can also Report to the Brass Embassy at the end of the Spying on Polythreme carousel in Polythreme.
- Favours: Revolutionaries can be obtained when you Publish a seditious edition of your newspaper in Doubt Street. You can also Report to Revolutionaries at the end of the Spying on Polythreme carousel in Polythreme.
- Favours: Rubbery Men can be obtained by choosing the Glim-Shard when you Gather the Riches of Bullbone Island, then giving it to The Rubbery Glim-Trader in Wolfstack Docks.
- Favours: Society can be obtained by being Honoured with a State Dinner in Port Carnelian, or by graduating a Gifted Student from your Laboratory.
- Favours: The Docks can be obtained by completing the main carousel at Mutton Island and choosing to Rescue the crew. Parabolan nightmare-hunters can also gain Docks favours by slaying Pinewood Sharks.
- Favours: The Great Game can be obtained with An exchange of favours at the end of the Doing Business in Wilmot's End carousel in Wilmot's End.
- Favours: Tomb-Colonies can be obtained when you Book a Decaying Humorist on Wednesday in Mahogany Hall.
- Favours: Urchins can be obtained when you Share what you've learned with a Cross at the end of the Box of Intrigue carousel in Spite.
Favours can be purchased for FATE using Faction Items.
Raising Specific Favours
Note: The following list only includes some notable sources for each Favours type. For a full list, please click the relevant category link from the entries below.
The Great Game
|Source||Action||Location/Card||Cost/Requirements||Number of Favors||Notes|
|Storylets||An action at the end of Flute Street||Flute Street||The cycle takes 24 actions.||1||See Flute Street (Guide)|
|Meet some Rubbery Men||Mrs Plenty's Carnival||Less than 5 x Renown||1|
|Cards||Shake 'hands'?||Slime and Amber: the Rubbery Men||+3 CP Scandal||1|
|Give it some Amber||Slime and Amber: the Rubbery Men||1 x Nodule of Warm Amber||1|
|...is heading hopefully in your direction||The Tentacled Entrepreneur...||1-2||See Attending a Party (Guide) drawn in Veilgarden (Party). Time Remaining... 5.|
|...is confused by the cutlery||The Tentacled Entrepreneur...||1||See Attending a Party (Guide) drawn in Veilgarden (Party). Time Remaining... 2.|
|Talk to the Rubbery Men||A Commission from the Cheesemonger||0-1||Requires An Agent of the Cheesemonger 1-3, Early Game Only|
|Outflank the Ministry's servant||Ministry Enforcement||+1 CP Suspicion||1||Card drawn in Ealing Gardens|
Each faction has 3 items you can obtain, each unlocked at certain levels of Renown.
- The items unlocked at Renown 10 cost 3 Favours to obtain, and are sourced from the relevant Faction Opportunity Card.
- The items unlocked at Renown 25 cost 5 Favours to obtain, and are sourced from various mid-game areas.
- The items unlocked at Renown 40 cost 7 Favours to obtain, and are sourced from various late-game areas or areas non-trivial to get to.
Renown items are special equipment that become accessible once your Renown with a factions reaches a certain level. Each Faction has three Renown items:
Renown 10 items have low stats (+4), are easily surpassed by other equipment, and generally don't have other uses. These can be acquired from the Faction's opportunity card in London.
Renown 25 items have better stats (mostly +7), and some of them are best-in-slot. In addition, they provide opportunity cards or unlock actions in the Upper River. These can be collected from various locations in London.
Of particular note is the Language of Laces, which is best-in-slot for Watchful Boots. The Bohemians, Docks, and Tomb-Colonist items at the Renown 25 tier unlock sub-par opportunity cards in the Upper River, so they are better avoided as they cannot be sold once acquired.
Renown 40 items are often best-in-slot (mostly +10), and may have some other uses. These can be acquired from places that are hard to access.
In the table below, Strict Best in Slot items are bold and Shared Best in Slot items are italic.
|Faction||Renown 10 (3 favours)||Renown 25 (5 favours)||Renown 40 (7 favours)|
|Bohemians||Barrel with Leather Shoulder-Straps （Clothing, Dangerous +4, Scandal +1) (card)||The DF (Weapon, Persuasive +7, Dreaded +1) (Mahogany Hall)||Oneiric Key (Home Comfort, Shadowy +8) (The Mirror-Marches)|
|Constables||Bully Belvedere (Hat, Dangerous +4) (card)||The Chap on the Corner (Companion, Watchful +7, Bizarre +1) (Flit)||The Place Where they Bury the Bodies (Boots, Shadowy +10, Dreaded +1) (A boat trip)|
|Criminals||Ace of Hats (Weapon, Shadowy +4) (card)||Pair of Defenestrating Boots (Boots, Dangerous +7, Respectable +1) (Flit)||One Who Pulls the Strings (Companion, Shadowy +10, Dreaded +1) (New Newgate Prison)|
|Hell||Diabolical Fascinator (Hat, Dangerous +4) (card)||Hellish Hymn (Hat, Watchful +7, Dreaded +1, Neathproofed +1) (The Shuttered Palace)||Infernal Vinification Apparatus (Weapon, Watchful +10, Dreaded +1) (The Iron Republic)|
|Revolutionaries||Implausible Beartrap (Weapon, Dangerous +4) (card)||Language of Laces (Boots, Watchful +7, Dreaded +1) (Spite)||Gleaming Buttons (Home Comfort, Dangerous +8) (A state of some confusion)|
|Rubbery Men||Amber Cello (Weapon, Persuasive +4) (card)||Rubbery Bellringer （Companion, Persuasive +7, Dreaded +1) (The University)||Location of an Underground Organ (Weapon, Persuasive +10, Bizarre +1) (Flute Street FATE)|
|Society||Antique Ring Worth Killing For （Weapon, Persuasive +4) (card)||Unassuming Judge (Companion, Shadowy +7, Respectable +1) (The Shuttered Palace)||Most Humbling Expression of Her Majesty's Esteem (Transport, Persuasive +8) (Port Carnelian)|
|The Church||Angelic Publications (Weapon, Persuasive +4) (card)||The Very Teeth of St George! (Home Comfort, Dangerous +4) (The Flit)||Beatific Stone (Home Comfort, Persuasive +8) (Corpsecage Island)|
|The Docks||Ex-Privateer Charter Clerk (Companion, Watchful +4) (card)||Chelatic Mitten (Gloves, Watchful +7, Bizarre +1) (Wolfstack Docks)||Unexploded Mine (Weapon, Persuasive +10, Dreaded +1) (The Pillared Sea)|
|The Great Game||A Subscription to the Gazette and a Whetted Pair of Scissors (Hat, Shadowy +4) (card)||The Seal of St Joshua (Weapon, Watchful +7, Dreaded +1) (Wilmot's End)||The Great Game (Affiliation, Watchful +5, Shadowy +2) (The Mirror-Marches)|
|Tomb-Colonies||Cup of Dustwine (Weapon, Dangerous +4) (card)||Your Very Own Bandages! (Hat, Persuasive +7, Dreaded +1) (Mahogany Hall)||Newly-Born Frost-Moth (Companion, Persuasive +10, Bizarre +1) (Tomb Colonies)|
|Urchins||A Feathered Bonnet (Hat, Persuasive +4) (card)||Constant Cufflinks (Gloves, Shadowy +7, Bizarre +1) (Wolfstacks Docks)||What Might Be A Thunderbolt (Weapon, Shadowy +10, Bizarre +1) (Mind of a Long-Dead God)|