Academic Grinding (Guide)
From Fallen London Wiki
Foxfire Candle Stub
- 1-200 (average 100.5) for An admirer among the clergy at Persuasive 100, requires PoSI
- 420 for An arrangement with the Vicar-General in exchange for 1 x Favours: The Church
- 3000 for A Rousing Hymn; with Inspired... sourced from The lead or Seek inspiration from your Prismatic Squidling, this takes 22 actions and averages 136 per action. With Inspired... sourced from Composition: the high path, this becomes 20 actions and 150 per action, if you can reliably get 125 honey per action from the lab. See Carving out a Reputation at Court (Guide) for more information.
- Up to 250 per action for Set an ambush or Sow carnage when playing Flint or Dagger, eventually paid out via Send a small amount of Bees to Hell; requires 4 actions of setup. See Hunting Bees in Old Newgate (Guide) for more information.
- 1790 on average for Breed the Tomb-Lion 4; takes at least 8 actions and a Tomb-Lion. See Breeding Monsters (Guide) for more information.
- With Hurlers Thermal Development, variable number for Light some candles at the stove 2 which depends on Hurlers: Darkness: 178 at Darkness 7 and max 488 at Darkness 0. Stoking the Stove to lighten the area costs Correspondence Plaques and eventually takes ~5 actions to reset Stoking.
- Can be purchased for 0.03 from Merrigans Exchange.
Flask of Abominable Salts
- 100 for successfully opening up a Corresponding Sounder; requires a Corresponding Sounder, a Mirrorcatch Box and high Artisan of the Red Science. For more information on obtaining Sounders, see Great Game Grinding (Guide)#Corresponding Sounder and Khaganian Intrigue (Guide). Averages to 1.3 per action, but has other rewards.
- Upconverting Foxfire Candle Stub; with Stubs sourced from Flint or Dagger, this gives up to 21 per action.
- Can be purchased for 0.20 from Merrigans Exchange.
Memory of Distant Shores
- 1-5 for Promenade and An Iremi stew from Mrs Chapman's Boarding House for Those Who Temporarily Have Nowhere Else To Go storylet, depending on base Persuasive; requires The Season in Soup at 1 or 2 (currently available).
- 72.5 on average for Breed the Somnolent Hyaena 7; averages 2.69 per action and costs x 100 Drop of Prisoner's Honey per breeding. See Breeding Monsters (Guide) for more information.
- 20 for Analyse your False-Snake; requires 100 Laboratory Research. See University Laboratory (Guide) for more information.
- 5 + Approximate Value of Your Skeleton in Pennies/50 x Memory of Distant Shores for selling to the Tentacled Entrepreneur
- 5 for Taunt the Viscountess of the Viric Jungle at the right point on the Sacroboscan Calendar.
- 26-60 for options in What's going on here?, A Guided Tour of Polythreme, The Deeper Questions, Finishing your Travelogue, A Little Spy Work, Looking a Little Deeper and Making your Report at the conclusion of the 12-action Polythremic promenade carousel (plus 2 for Set forth into the stone-flagged street at the beginning), for an average of at most 5.17 per action. (The Spying on Polythreme loop is the most profitable).
- An amount depending on your Monograph's Tragic (potentially up to 222) when selling to The Exiled Antiquarian; see Writing a Monograph (Guide) for more information.
- Side-converting from Newspaper-sourced Journal of Infamy; this gives up to 4.82 per action.
- Buy Inkling of Identity in The Rat Market, then upconvert once and sideconvert 1 times. Depending on the efficiency of your source of Rat-Shillings, this gives the following overall efficiency:
Volume of Collated Research
- 1 for Accept a Volume of Collated Research; this requires at least 4 actions per volume. See The Spider Symposium (Guide) for more information.
- 1 for Aid F.F. Gebrandt in Refining her Formulas. Costs 5 x Nodule of Warm Amber, 5 x Phosphorescent Scarab, 5 x Flask of Abominable Salts per volume, and requires having Gebrandt as a lab assistant.
- 1 per action from Unlikely Connections via Chase down every last citation or Consider every possibility with high Research Preparations from the same cards. (Specifically, each Unlikely Connection counts for 0.2 Collated Research when completing your research project, so since you get 5 from each success here, that equates to 1 CR gained at the end.)
- 10 for She is wearing pearls today; averages 0.45 per action. See Doing Business in Wilmot's End (Guide) for more information.
- An amount depending on your Monograph's Cautionary (potentially up to 44) when selling to The Wistful Stoker; see Writing a Monograph (Guide) for more information.
- Upconverting Memory of Distant Shores; with Newspaper-sourced Memories, this can reach up to 0.88 per action, depending on how you source Connected: Benthic.
- If the University Lab or Wilmot's End are not yet available: Converting Tale of Terror!! by pursuing the story of the Fidgeting Writer averages 0.45 per action (with average costs of 0.46 Tale of Terror!! and 0.32 Vision of the Surface per action, and side gains of 1 CP Making Waves, 1.12 CP AtGotG, and 1.12 CP TbF per action).
- (20 + ( Approximate Value of Your Skeleton in Pennies + Zoological Mania Bonus / 50)) for selling to the Pedagogically Inclined Grandmother
- 5 by Climb the dome itself with a Glasswork 8 challenge
- 4-5 by Offer the Storm-bird to Fingerkings in Parabola with a Storm-bird and the Dome of Scales occupied by the Fingerkings.
- 2 for Accept the contents of a small cocoon; this requires at least 3.5 actions per artefact. See The Spider Symposium (Guide) for more information.
- 2 for Trade your documents with London's Ambassador 1 (alternatively, 1 for Trade your documents with London's Ambassador 4) when robbing The Circumspect Envoy's Townhouse. For more information, see On a Heist (Guide).
- 1 for failing Disambiguate the Eolith 2; requires at least 3 actions per eolith.
- Selling a skeleton to the Enthusiast of the Ancient World nets an Artefact per point of Antiquity that your skeleton has.
- 1 for Enter the Palatinate alone; requires having achieved the offer accepted ending of the Cats campaign and not started another campaign since, and having no Lyon Pursuivant of Arms Extraordinary. See Parabolan War (Guide) for more information.
- 1 for Reach towards the shore 2; averages either 1 every 4 or 8 actions, depending on your willingness to cycle Airs of Parabola by repeatedly entering and leaving the Waswood.
- 2 for Dig a little distance from the river on the card Dredge the river; costs x 2 Survey of the Neath's Bones.
- 6-11 (average 8.5) for Leave the barge (The Persephone); costs x 3 Esteem of the Guild and 2 actions. See Canal Cruising in Jericho Locks (Guide) for more information.
- An amount depending on your Monograph's Ironic (potentially up to 44) when selling to The Exiled Antiquarian; see Writing a Monograph (Guide) for more information.
- 4 in exchange for x 5 Crystallised Curio with Ask her to cut apart five Crystallised Curios; see Digging in the Hurlers (Guide) for more information.
- 5 for Casting an Oneiric Pearl into the zee gives, amongst other rewards, x 5 .
Mirthless Compendium of Statistical Observations
- 1 for Finish assembling your statistical tables; requires Laboratory Services from a Meticulous Student and 100x Laboratory Research and at least 5 actions. See University Laboratory (Guide) for more information.
Conceptual Breakthrough in Currency Design
- 1 for Conclude your study of the metallurgy of Justificandes; requires 1 x Justificande Coin, 1 x Forged Justificande Coin, Laboratory Services from the Numismatrix, and 125x Laboratory Research and at least 6 actions. See University Laboratory (Guide) for more information.
- 1 for Conclude your study of Hinterland Scrip; requires 5 x Hinterland Scrip, Laboratory Services from the Numismatrix, and 125x Laboratory Research and at least 6 actions. See University Laboratory (Guide) for more information.
- 1 for completing an expedition to the Tomb of the Silken Thread; see Forgotten Quarter Expeditions (Guide) for more information.
The Museum of Prelapsarian History
- 1 for 1 in 5 rare successes of Provenance an artefact; each success costs x 1 Unprovenanced Artefact.
- 1 for Restore the hope of a listless professor on Respectable Passengers; Costs 1 x Powder of Renewal
Memory of Discordance
- 1 for Recapture the Carnivorous Aurochs; requires a Carnivorous Aurochs and at least 6 actions. See Parabolan Hunting (Guide) for more information.
- 1 for Lead them like sacrifices to the Priests of the Red Bird; requires The Long-Dead Priests of the Red Bird and costs Inspired... 10 and Fitting in at Helicon House 5. See Helicon House (Guide) for more information.
- 1 for winning at Hurly-Burly; playing a game costs 15 x Hinterland Scrip and takes 10-14 actions (fewer with the appropriate use of Time Doesn't Exist). See Hurling (Guide) for more information.
Lost Research Assistant
- 1 for Accept the contents of a large cocoon; requires at least 10 actions per revelation. See The Spider Symposium (Guide) for more information.
- 1 for Claim something that no-one was looking for at the conclusion of the 14-action Port Cecil carousel