Calling in Favours (Guide)
Fixed storylets (Calling in Favors)
Now, what to do with them? Perhaps you want to Call in some favours!
- Generally, 1 Favour is worth 420 pence of saleable items - the notable exception being The Flit's storylet. However, as you need to spend another action to call them in, the actual efficiency is lower.
Other fixed storylets
Favors to tribute (5.68 EPA to 7.08 EPA)
See Money-Making#Cards for details.
Requires access to Offering Tribute to the Court of the Wakeful Eye
- Offer the labour of a zailor Docks
- Offer the talents of an artist Bohemians
- Offer a plump vicar Church
- Arrange the visit of a respected noblewoman Society
- Offer an unrepentant ex-convict who won't be missed Criminals
- Hire a porter from the docks is the best option to gain supplies
- An Implausible Penance gives several choices for cashing in Favours: Criminals
- City Vices: a Rather Decadent Evening provides an opportunity to cash out Favours: Bohemian
- A consideration for services rendered provides an opportunity to cash out Favours: Hell
- In addition, all favours except Favours: Rubbery men can be used to train stats on Faction Cards
An efficient way to cash in your favours (and your connections with The Widow) is through conflict cards. These all require favours at 5+ in two conflicting factions at once, set up a conflict between two factions, and require you choose a side, spending favours from the side you didn't choose. They are drawn at Very Infrequent frequency (half as common as the typical card), and are undiscardable once drawn. Most either spend 2 favours to gain 7.5-8.5 or spend all favours to gain an amount which scales with the number of favours spent, on the order of 22.5 for 7 favours. Several also offer a compromise option, which requires 3 actions and a high value in a particular quirk, but which gains 7.5-8.5 without spending any favours for less than 3 EPA.
In addition, all options on all conflict cards generate 1cp of Someone Is Coming; assuming no access to FATE-locked options, this has a value of 2 with access to the Bone Market, 1.1 if you are A Person of Some Importance -, 1 if you've sold your soul, or 0.5 otherwise.
Of particular note is the card A contact in the Great Game has a tale for you. This card is unlocked with 5 Favours: The Great Game and 5 Favours: The Church, and allows spending 2 Favours: The Great Game for 7.5 of goods, 1cp of Someone Is Coming, and one of every second chance. This is one of the most efficient ways of getting second chances in the game, particularly Sudden Insights and Hard-Earned Lessons.
Options sorted by favour type
Note: The following lists only include notable uses for each Favours type that are both profitable at some point in the game, as well as repeatable. May be incomplete.
|Storylets||Trade favours with criminals||The Flit||3 x Favours||1200 x Moon-Pearl||12|
|Acquire human remains from the criminals||5 x Favours||3 x Human Arm||7.5|
|Offer an unrepentant ex-convict who won't be missed||The Labyrinth of Tigers||5 x Favours||20 x Tribute||Can be exchanged for a 62.5 item|
|Seek a thieves' cache||Base-Camp||1 x Favours|| 1 x Archaeologist's Progress
100 x Cryptic Clue
|The Balustraded House in Elderwick||On a Heist||5 x Favours|| 10 x Ostentatious Diamond
25 x Surface-Silk Scrap
1 x Puzzle-Damask Scrap
1 x Favour in High Places or 1 x Magnificent Diamond
|The warehouses of the Peaceable & Godly Trading Company||The Copper Quarter||1 x Favours||1 x Unassuming Crate||Can be traded for items by chance, including 1 x Bottle of Fourth City Airag: Year of the Tortoise|
- The Alleys of London: the Criminals allows you to train Shadowy by spending 1, 3 or 5 favours (~20 CP per favour)
- An Implausible Penance gives several choices for cashing in Favours: Criminals
- Give evidence provides 1 x Bottle of Broken Giant 1844, 1 x Sworn Statement, 2 x Tale of Terror!! and Someone Is Coming for 2 favours
- A grass provides quick release from New Newgate Prison and gains A Turncoat for all favours
- Alert the Gracious Widow to these complaints spends 6 favours to reduce In Corporate Debt by 3 CP
- Options on Demander for a day provide Nodule of Deep Amber for 1 favour
- Fencing certain coins provide 20 x First City Coin for 3 favours and a cycle of Counting the Days
- Humbug! provide 220 x Drop of Prisoner's Honey for 1 favour.
- Inquire about a 'special harvest' provide 4 x Knob of Scintillack for 1 favour
- Make use of this new development provide 7 x Ostentatious Diamond for 1 favour
- With a statue of the Clay Highwayman: Receive an offering from the Clay Highwayman provides 1 x Magnificent Diamond and Opening a Bundle of Oddities for 2 favours.
- With a statue of yourself in Marigold Station, you may Sit by your statue for 4 favours. This provides items worth 25
- Perhaps she is in danger provides 180 x Shard of Glim and 180 x Nodule of Deep Amber for 1 favour and 30 x Jade Fragment
- A round of well-intentioned backslapping gives 420 x Shard of Glim for 1 favour
- Hire a porter from the docks Spend 3 favours and 50 x Piece of Rostygold for 7 x Crate of Expedition Supplies
- Offer the labour of a zailor Spend 5 favours to gain 20 x Tribute - can be cashed in for a 62.5 item
- For 3 favours you may go on a heist in The home of an Admiral's Widow
- Watch a parade to spend 5 favours for 2 x Esteem of the Guild
- By the River's Side: the Docks Spend 1, 3 or 5 favours to train Dangerous (~20 CP per favour)
- Convince the residents to pay their protection fees to the urchins instead Gain 5 x Thirsty Bombazine Scrap, 5 x Whisper-Satin Scrap, Silk Scrap and Someone Is Coming for all favours
- Settle in the Widow's favour Gain Jade Fragment, 1 x Favour in High Places, Someone Is Coming and a few scraps.
- Work long into the night forging a compromise solution provides 1 x Strong-Backed Labour, 250 x Jade Fragment, Someone Is Coming and opening a Bundle of Oddities (up to 60) for 1 favour and connected: The Widow
- Ambush Smugglers Spend 3 favours and Strong-Backed Labour for Making Waves and 750 x Bottle of Greyfields 1879
- Assist an out-of-work Gondolier Spend 1 favour for 10 x Certifiable Scrap
- With a statue of a Zailor at Moulin, you may Share a drink with a Zailor for 25 worth of maps (62.5 on rare success)
- An elliptical conversation in Wolfstack Docks gives 210 x Cryptic Clue for 1 favour
- Ask the Muffled Intriguer to broker your Stolen Kisses to convert 25 x Stolen Kiss for 1 favour
- Spend 1, 3 or 5 favours on Whispers from the Surface: The Great Game to train Watchful (~20 CP per favour)
- Everyone deserves a second chance provides 4 second chances, 3 x An Identity Uncovered! and Someone Is Coming for 2 favours
- With a certain statue at Moulin, Make contact with an agent to exchange 2 favours for Vital Intelligence and 5 x Moves in the Great Game
- A soothing sight in The Forgotten Quarter gives 420 x Nevercold Brass Sliver for 1 favour
- Devils and art in court provides 25 CP Inspired... for 1 favour.
- On Burning Shadows: the Devils of London you may spend 1, 3 or 5 favours to train Watchful (~20 CP per favour)
- A consideration for services rendered provides an opportunity to cash out 1 Favours: Hell for 180 x Nevercold Brass Sliver and 1 x Extraordinary Implication. Also gives Someone Is Coming
- Alert the vicar gives 500 x Foxfire Candle Stub, 5 x Scrap of Incendiary Gossip and Someone Is Coming
- Call in favours from Hell with the right statue in Ealing gives 1 x Brass Ring or 8 x Muscaria Brandy for 2 favours
- For those who build a goat-related statue, Under the Statue at the Hurlers has an option for exchanging 4 favours for 25 worth of items.
- Convince the urchin to keep his soul gives 2 x Aeolian Scream and 30 x Maniac's Prayer and Someone Is Coming
- Trade favours with revolutionaries in the Flit gives 315 x Proscribed Material, Advancing the Liberation of Night: (+1 CP) and Suspicion (+2 CP) for 3 favours
- The people's art in Court provides 35 CP Inspired... and 1 CP Suspicion for 1 favour.
- Train Dangerous on Gunpowder and Zeal: the Revolutionaries with 1, 3 or 5 favours (~20 CP per favour)
- Convince the Revolutionaries to find somewhere else provides 800 x Nodule of Deep Amber, 5 x Nodule of Warm Amber and Someone Is Coming for 2 favours
- Call in favours from Revolutionaries with a statue in Ealing Gardens provides 625 x Proscribed Material for 4 favours
- Call in favours with the Tracklayer's Union with a statue at Marigold Station provides 2 x Vital Intelligence for 4 favours
- Call in favours from Revolutionaries (The Hurlers) with a statue at The Hurlers provides 10 x Night on the Town for 4 favours
- Accept a damp gift on the rubbery faction card Cashes in all Favours: Rubbery men for up to 2900 x Nodule of Deep Amber
- Convince the Rubbery Men to move on provides 210 x Proscribed Material and Someone Is Coming for 2 favours.
- Finger the guilty party provides 550 x Piece of Rostygold, 1 x Sworn Statement and Someone Is Coming for 2 favours
- Save the Tomb-Colonist! provides 1 x Puzzle-Damask Scrap and Silk Scrap for all favours
- Call in favours from Rubbery Men in Ealing Gardens gives 1 x Nodule of Trembling Amber for 2 favours
- Direct your creditors to the Tentacled Entrepreneur reduces In Corporate Debt by 3 CP for 6 favours
- Arrange the visit of a respected noblewoman provides 20 x Tribute for 5 favours - can be cashed in for a 62.5 item
- A boon from a Lady-in-Waiting in the Shuttered Palace gives 210 x Bottle of Greyfields 1882 for 1 favour
- Curry favour with the Duchess in the Shuttered Palace gives 50 CP Connected: The Duchess for 1 favour
- Exchange a considerable quantity of Connections for London Street Signs in court gives 5 x London Street Sign and Suspicion (+1 CP) for 3 favours
- '...I have a few friends yet in Society...' reduces Scandal on average by 4.9 CP in the Tomb-Colonies
- Assist acquaintances entangled in bureaucracy provides Jade Fragment for 1 favour.
- You have rivals in court provides 30 CP Inspired... for 1 favour.
- You may spend 1, 3 or 5 favours to train Persuasive on Park and Palace: Society (~20 CP per favour)
- Break him out! provides 500 x Nevercold Brass Sliver, 6 x Memory of Distant Shores and Someone Is Coming for 2 favours.
- Sneak the old gentleman out provides 350 x Cryptic Clue, 100 x Silk Scrap, Opening a Bundle of Oddities (up to ~80) and Someone Is Coming
- "The company I keep speaks for me." allows 1 favour to be spent for Making Waves
- Arrange the services of a Titled Surveyor reduces In Corporate Debt by 2 CP for 3 favours
- Pursue a Scheme: encourage the great and the good to attend your Salon allows you to gain Engaged in a Scheme: a Salon for 3 favours.
- Admire the statue at Marigold Station exchanges 4 favours for 2 x Magnificent Diamond
- You may raise Dangerous on the Bandages and Dust: The Tomb-Colonies card with 1, 3 or 5 favours (~20 CP per favour)
- Discreetly inform the family about the baronet's communication provides 2 x Ostentatious Diamond, 20 x Bottle of Morelways 1872, 250 x Bottle of Greyfields 1882 and Someone Is Coming for 2 favours.
- Save the Rubbery Man spends all favours to get 1 x Magnificent Diamond, Nodule of Deep Amber and some other stuff.
- A statue in Ealing gardens allows you to Call in favours from Tomb Colonists to gain 1 x Magnificent Diamond, 5 x Sapphire and 2 x Venom-Ruby for 2 favours
- Trade your Collection of Curiosities for five Puzzling Maps and 1 favour allows you to sell a Collection of Curiosities for items worth 65
- Trade favours with urchins in the Flit gives 25 Certifiable Scrap and Opening a Bundle of Oddities for 3 favours
- Spending Favours on The Roof-Tops: Urchins allows you to train Shadowy for 1, 3 or 5 favours (~20 CP per favour)
- Advise the girl to return to the Widow gives Jade Fragment, An Identity Uncovered! and Someone Is Coming for all your favours.
- Take the Devil's side provides 550 x Nevercold Brass Sliver and 5 x Tale of Terror!! + Someone Is Coming for 2 favours
- Sabotage the cannon provides Rat on a String and Bottle of Morelways 1872 + Someone Is Coming and consumes all favours.
- Statues in Ealing Gardens or Evenlode allow you to Call in favours from Urchins, providing 1 x Puzzle-Damask Scrap, 3 x Thirsty Bombazine Scrap and opening a Bundle of Oddities for 4 favours
- With an Orphanage you may Pursue a Scheme: offer some Urchins a place in your Orphanage
- A meeting with one of the Widow's representatives gives 240 x Jade Fragment for 120 CP
- Sneak a sip of the brandy reduces Wounds by 3.1 CP by average for 1.4 CP Suspicion and 9 CP Connected: The Widow
- Arrange for the girl to return to the urchin-gangs gives 2 x Storm-Threnody 5 x Maniac's Prayer and Someone Is Coming for 500 CP
- Cheat the Widow With 5 favours: Criminals this provides 2800 x Shard of Glim for 120 CP
- Make an agreement favouring the dock-gangs provides 1 x Puzzling Map, 1 x Strong-Backed Labour, Opening a Bundle of Oddities and Someone Is Coming for 500 CP
- '...I flatter myself the Duchess was fond of me...' reduces Scandal by 3 CP while in Exile for 10 CP
- Assuming the Favours were grinded at 1 action per favour without any additional costs or benefits (e.g. connected pets). Discounting Menace gains.